What tools do you bring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has taken me 30 years to fine tune my "tool box" I carry in the camper. At first, I brought every tool in my garage. Found out as lot of stuff I drug along was foolishness. They were tools I'd never use.

They eventually got removed and others replaced. Finally, one year, I removed everything except a basic Robertson Headed screw driver (square head), a Phillips and a Flat. A pair of plyers, a pair of needle nose plyers, and a knife. A hatchet that had a hammer head and a hammer claw built into it.

Then, at home, or when traveling, I'd add only what I needed as I used it. If I used it on the camper for anything, it stayed in the camper. Eventually, I ended up with things like, a breaker bar and socket that fit the bolts on my Lippert 6 point jacks. It also fit the lug nuts on my trailer wheels. The breaker bar works great on the wheels.

I then added back ONLY the things I actually used for repairs or things on the actual camper. This down-sized a LOT of crap! And now I have a set of actual working hand tools specific for the camper.

I carry a separate electric drill. It is switchable between normal and impact. I've added thing like that gigantic socket to remove the heating element from the water heater (used only for the camper), a long long time ago I started carrying a separate socket and a wrench SPECIFIC to remove the water heater anode rod. It NEVER leaves the camper as I use it often, and I really had to find a way to improvise a tire jack. I think that was my most innovate idea! I carry a small set of socket with a 1/4 inch socket driver. Nothing elaborate. Simple.

Bottom like, DO NOT take a bunch of stuff simply for the sake of taking it along. Check each item out BEFORE you add it to your collection and make sure it's something you'd actually use on the camper. Otherwise, you are just dragging along a bunch of junk.

I do have quite a collection of zip ties, Robertson Headed RV (brown colored) screws, bolts, nuts, different types of tape, zip ties, wire of different sizes, Command Hooks, .... things like that are more important to have than actual "tools". I also keep extra slide cable kits on hand now, and the tools to install new cable for my slides. Over 5 years, I've broken 7 cables. So, having the extra parts and the tools to fix that IS important to have. But, I have no need to drag along a soldering iron! It seems a screw is always coming loose somewhere, or something needs taped up, or something breaks.

Socket for the Anode Rod (water heater), never leaves the camper:

Here's my tire jack:

There are some other "tools" I carry along. Like I said, it took 30 years of fine tune what I actually WOULD and DO use in the camper opposed to what I "THINK" I might use an MIGHT need for a "what if" moment.

For the "what if" moments, those are unpredictable. Chances are, if a "what if" moment happened, you probably can't fix it yourself anyway ... especially while on the road or at a campground!

I'm a guy who would rather do a roadside repair
than get an expensive tow and mechanic's bill.
I can count all the times in my life I've
called a tow truck on one finger.

As far as tools, I carry a basic tool kit with metric
and SAE sockets and wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers,
torx and hex wrenches, plumbing and electrical tools,
a hammer, a 1/2" Milwaukee 18V impact, and my
chainsaw for removing fallen trees from the road,
plus other stuff I can't even remember right now.

And of course zip ties, duct tape, WD40, spare
bulbs and fuses, and spare fluids of every kind.
Also a good idea to keep and carry that old
serpentine belt you replaced as a backup.

Can one be too prepared?

and my chainsaw for removing fallen trees from the road,
Chainsaw?! Electric or gas?

I do a lot of work with my multiple saws at home and always wished I had on with me. But most all sites we visit have pretty strict rules about gathering any wood. Never thought about having to remove trees across the road! :unsure:

One park we were at a couple months ago had so many trees around our site that I had a hard time getting a view of the satellites for our Dish receiver. The ranger came by one day and while I was chatting with him I casually mentioned that I was going to have to cut down a few of the tall pines around our site for our satellite. He seemed a bit startled initially but quickly realized I was just being a wise ass and got a chuckle out of it.

Good bottle Jack. Collapsible lug wrench with sockets that fit both the truck and the RV.

That's just for tires! I've changed plenty of them but not one since we got a rig with 22.5" tires.

Chainsaw?! Electric or gas?
Gas, Stihl 261.
We're boondockers so bucking up a bunch of firewood is
one of the first things I do when we set up camp somewhere.
Once when I had to cut a fallen tree out of the road so we
could get by I knew I'd never camp without a chainsaw again.

I'm just a weekend warrior for the most part. Inside the truck I always have a small 50 piece socket set, screwdrivers and pliers. When we go camping I also toss my drill and impact into the truck with fresh batteries just in case. I don't think there is a single mechanics tool inside the camper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom