What TT approximately 3500 lbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clark Griswold

We're giving some thought to buying a TT and I need to stick in the 3500lb GVW (dry) on it.  We would like a queen bed in it and if possible, one slide.  Any suggestions?  :eek:

Take a look at a 23' Rockwood or a 23' Flagstaff. Both from Forest River.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=specs&nav=rec&choice=flag
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=specs&choice=rk&nav=rec&source=summary

There are many similar makes and models to chhose from. I'll let those with more current trailer experience make suggestions.

Gary,
Guess you're wondering why I'm jumping over to the TT forum for a bit.  I'm sure you saw the post on the tree that fell on our MH.  Only had it 2 months and had only done a shakedown run in it.

So many of us here have large motorhomes that Travel Trailers probably don't get the credit they deserve.  They make a lot of sense for many people's needs, and a well-equipped TT is a comfortable and practical RV.  However, I think you are going to have to look into a stronger tow vehicle to get a TT that is even remotely comparable in size & comfort to your recent coach. If you could get the dry weight up to around 4500-5000 lbs, you could get into a much nicer rig.

Clark Griswold said:
We're giving some thought to buying a TT and I need to stick in the 3500lb GVW (dry) on it.  We would like a queen bed in it and if possible, one slide.  Any suggestions?  :eek:

Yes: ever seen a TrailManor Elkmont?  24' long, 2500lbs (that is not a typo) dry weight.  LINK to floorplans.

For that matter, what about a regular folding TrailManor?

I just bought a wanderer 230fb, a 2000,  3500 lb tt with a manual slide and a queen bed.  Its made by thor.  bob.

-
Also check out the Visa line from Gulfstream.  We have a 23 ft it came delivered at 3650 lbs (dry).  They also have 19 ft versions as well.

Good luck in you search.

Clark Griswold said:
We would like a queen bed in it and if possible, one slide.  Any suggestions?  :eek:

Heartland make a nice line of lightweights. We bought a 2010 Edge M21 (actually 21'9), with a living room slide and a queen bed in Dec. of 2009 and have been coast to coast twice. It has a dry weight of 3439 lbs., but I don't put much store in that number. There are just the two of us and 4 yorkies and we scale out just under 5000 lbs.
Good Luck
Dave
http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/165495/New-2012-Heartland-Edge-M21.aspx

Clark Griswold said:
Thanks for some great leads on light weight trailers.  I'm checking them out.  Keep the suggestions coming!  ;D

If you are willing to look at a hybrid, the Shamrock/Roo line from Forest River is worth consideration.  Many of their models are under 3600 dry.

wannabfree said:
Heartland make a nice line of lightweights. We bought a 2010 Edge M21 (actually 21'9), with a living room slide and a queen bed in Dec. of 2009 and have been coast to coast twice. It has a dry weight of 3439 lbs., but I don't put much store in that number. There are just the two of us and 4 yorkies and we scale out just under 5000 lbs.
Good Luck
Dave
http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/165495/New-2012-Heartland-Edge-M21.aspx

Can you tell me how you stock yours?  We're basically going to be using this for local trips of 3 or 4 days each.  I've found many TTs  in the less than 4000lbs and actually am giving some consideration to these also. 

Clark Griswold said:
Can you tell me how you stock yours?  We're basically going to be using this for local trips of 3 or 4 days each.  I've found many TTs  in the less than 4000lbs and actually am giving some consideration to these also.
I am always amazed at the weight of the trailer once we are ready to roll. Our trips for the most part are much longer than yours as we winter in it, but you would be surprised at the weight of  of some of the schtuff we take for granted. A roll up patio mat, canned goods, a few jugs of bottled water, milk, soda, beer, clothing, bedding, TV, DVR, books, magazines, levelling blocks, sewer hose, water hose, power cords. You will find that most owners on this site, will almost always advise you to ignore the unladen trailer weight and either use the gross figure or get an actual weight.
Hope this helps... oh yeah .... almost forgot ....these 4 yorkies contribute 12 pounds to our gross. ;)
Dave

wannabfree said:
I am always amazed at the weight of the trailer once we are ready to roll. Our trips for the most part are much longer than yours as we winter in it, but you would be surprised at the weight of  of some of the schtuff we take for granted. A roll up patio mat, canned goods, a few jugs of bottled water, milk, soda, beer, clothing, bedding, TV, DVR, books, magazines, levelling blocks, sewer hose, water hose, power cords. You will find that most owners on this site, will almost always advise you to ignore the unladen trailer weight and either use the gross figure or get an actual weight.
Hope this helps... oh yeah .... almost forgot ....these 4 yorkies contribute 12 pounds to our gross. ;)
Dave

I can't believe you get all that in that TT!  We've owned a couple pop-ups, a TT, and two Class A MHs and I can relate to your list as far as getting it all in the MH. but not in a 20ish ft TT.  If you're wintering in it I can see how you'd need all that.  You're right, our trips are a lot different.  ::)

We really enjoy our viewfinder.  With the "V-nose" it tows beautifully and helps improve fuel mileage.  Has a lot of interior room with the livingroom slide and the large bathroom in the nose.  It tows with a 1/2 ton with no problems.
Better luck with your future purchase.
Arizona Al

http://www.cruiserrv.com/viewfinder/v_21fb/specifications.html

arizona al said:
We really enjoy our viewfinder.  With the "V-nose" it tows beautifully and helps improve fuel mileage.  Has a lot of interior room with the livingroom slide and the large bathroom in the nose.  It tows with a 1/2 ton with no problems.
Better luck with your future purchase.
Arizona Al

http://www.cruiserrv.com/viewfinder/v_21fb/specifications.html

The one thing I have to watch on those is the hitch weight.  Using the area over the front frame certainly give more room for a fixed length.  :)

With my Viewfinder
The fresh water tank is behind the rear axle and the propane tanks are in a compartment just ahead of the rear bumper along with the large storage compartment in the rear.  I find that when my trailer is ready to travel, it is well balanced with no unusual hitch weight.  Of course the whole trailer is well under my 2009 GMC 1500 Crewcab 4X4's towing capacity.
What will you use as your Tow Vehicle?
Arizona Al

arizona al said:
With my Viewfinder
The fresh water tank is behind the rear axle and the propane tanks are in a compartment just ahead of the rear bumper along with the large storage compartment in the rear.  I find that when my trailer is ready to travel, it is well balanced with no unusual hitch weight.  Of course the whole trailer is well under my 2009 GMC 1500 Crewcab 4X4's towing capacity.
What will you use as your Tow Vehicle?
Arizona Al

I'll be using a 2005 Ford Sport Trac 4x4 with a tow cap of 5050 lbs.

If you are going to use the Sport Trac as a tow vehicle I would not recommend the Viewfinder but maybe a Funfinder that is also made by Cruiser RV and is also 7'6" wide but lighter in weight.  I think the narrow width would be helpfull to cut down wind resistance and improve the towability of the trailer behind the Sport Trac.  Personally I would want more power and wheelbase for my tow vehicle.
Good luck on your search,
Arizona Al

arizona al said:
If you are going to use the Sport Trac as a tow vehicle I would not recommend the Viewfinder but maybe a Funfinder that is also made by Cruiser RV and is also 7'6" wide but lighter in weight.  I think the narrow width would be helpfull to cut down wind resistance and improve the towability of the trailer behind the Sport Trac.  Personally I would want more power and wheelbase for my tow vehicle.
Good luck on your search,
Arizona Al

Yep, we're looking at the Funfinders also.  I'll agree with you that I'd like to have slightly better suited tow vehicle but we love the Sport Trac and no money!!!!  8)  Also, we're at least fortunate that the Sport Trac we have has the best rear end diff of the Sport Tracs for towing, etc  I've been following 'sport trac forum' also and the Sport Tracs are actually a little more of a tow vehicle than one might expect.....not saying I would buy one for the express purpose of towing!!!! :-\ :eek: ???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom