What vehicle to choose?T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevinapple

I plan on towing a 20,000-pound 5th wheel. Ford and Dodge want high 80s for a new truck. I can buy a 2017 Volvo VNL tractor with 543k miles just serviced with new drive tires for $27,000. I realize 7 mpg is going to be the max. Truck is immaculate. What could be the disadvantages with a tractor?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-15 163809.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-15 163809.png
    577.9 KB · Views: 5
Hello Kevin. Your question is way beyond me. I just want to welcome you to the RV Forum. I'm sure there will be other RV Forum Members along soon who have the expertise and can provide valuable info and discussion.

I plan on towing a 20,000-pound 5th wheel. Ford and Dodge want high 80s for a new truck. I can buy a 2017 Volvo VNL tractor with 543k miles just serviced with new drive tires for $27,000. I realize 7 mpg is going to be the max. Truck is immaculate. What could be the disadvantages with a tractor?
Getting around after you've parked the fiver?

Unless you already have a commercial drivers license and/or air brake endorsement, you may be on the hook to get some sort of commercial license (check your state laws). Yes, even though you are driving privately, for leisure, or if the rig is classified as an "RV". Even if it's registered as a personal vehicle, there may be tonnage fees and other considerations in your state.

Maintenance on a tractor is rather expensive. 10-12+ gallon oil changes or thereabouts. Oil and fuel filters which cost $60-$100/each. Tires can be $500-$1000. Each. Your fuel tanks will hold 50-100 gallons each. I don't know what may be wearing out at 543k miles, but from what I know that's solidly mid-life for a vehicle that's been hauling around 60k+ lbs.

The frugal side of me says a used light duty pickup is cheaper than 80k, but maybe more than 27k. You'd likely get more use out of a pickup truck overall. And you wouldn't be encumbered when you got to your destination, as mentioned -- a semi tractor isn't small even if you're bobtailing.

My first reaction was... driving something like that will require a CDL (commercial drivers license). Then when you drive it, you'll need to keep logs of your mileage, just like the big rig drivers have to, you'll need to go through weigh stations, and (as others stated above), it's a very, very difficult vehicle to use as a run-around site-seeing vehicle when your camper is parked.

He won't need a CDL if the truck is in private service rather than commercial (for hire), but it may be challenging to get that notion through the heads of people at the DMV. Both for the truck title & tags and his driving license. And maybe at the insurance company too.

You may have noticed that private-use heavy duty trucks or buses often have signage in large letters proclaiming it is "Not For Hire" or "Private Vehicle" or similar.

Your state and other mid western states may be a bit more lenient with that truck, but the two coasts may be dicey. Ca CHP are always on the look out for anything out of the ordinary. Servicing will pretty much be done at a truck stop, and those rates are not cheap. I used to have to go to Freightliner shops for certain work on my motorhomes, and the wait time can be ridiculous. However, there would be no issues with weight limits. I have seen some trucks with smart cars up behind the cab and still had room to tow the 5ver.

Your state and other mid western states may be a bit more lenient with that truck, but the two coasts may be dicey. Ca CHP are always on the look out for anything out of the ordinary. Servicing will pretty much be done at a truck stop, and those rates are not cheap. I used to have to go to Freightliner shops for certain work on my motorhomes, and the wait time can be ridiculous. However, there would be no issues with weight limits. I have seen some trucks with smart cars up behind the cab and still had room to tow the 5ver.

An oil change for our M2 (much smaller truck) runs $850 at a Freightliner shop. Trucks are no different...oil should be changed annually regardless of mileage. And...it's true...no appointments. You leave the rig there until they can get to it, behind all of their fleet and commercial customers. Sometimes that's a day or two.

Or plan B...like I'm about to do, do it myself. The oil cost me $200 and another $120 for the oil filter and fuel filter. Plus I'm going to need to grease the suspension, another $20 or so in the correct-spec grease for the thing. And then I'll have 8 gallons of oil to deal with and dump at an oil recycler.

BTW I only move the 5th wheel 6 times a year.
I considered getting a commercial tractor a while back when I got my CDL and spent a summer driving one during the harvest I but gave up the idea for several reasons. First is insurance, policies are expensive, especially for inexperienced drivers. The commercial policies assume the vehicle will be in continuous use and because of it's size will cause significant damage in any kind of an accident. Finding insurance at a reasonable cost to cover non-commercial use is difficult.

Commercial tractors are designed to run daily. Letting one sit for months at a time will make it deteriorate from lack of use, especially one with significant wear and mileage already on it. Batteries go dead. Moisture gets into the air brake systems. Oil drains from engine parts and bearing surfaces. Rubber parts like tires, belts and hoses become stiff and brittle. And as others have said, repairs will be costly.

Get a vehicle you can use regularly to keep everything fresh between the times you move the trailer.

I think any vehicle used only 5-6 times/year is going to need some between use care to make sure it is ready to go when needed. A class 6 or 8 truck is probably no worse than a class 3 or 4 diesel pickup in that regard. Or a motorhome, for that matter.
But I still think getting a commercial-grade vehicle licensed & insured as a private vehicle is likely to be frustrating. And maybe expensive, since fees and premium rates are going to be geared for commercial use. A F350/3500 class diesel pickup will be more straight-forward and easier/cheaper to service (whether DIY or professional). And you should be able to get a high-mileage diesel truck for around $27k too. One with 120-175k on the clock should still be fine for your limited use.

I have met a number of RVers who do precisely that (Tow a 5er with a Semi Tractor) In fact there used to be a line of Semi tractors called "Trail Hauler" As I recall they were the smaller Peterbuits (The kind that normally pull "local delivery" or what you might call "last Mile" trailers from a local warehouse to a store) They were made in Canada

Basically it was the standard Pete. but with a smaller 5th wheel and rigged for electric trailer brakes instead of air brakes. NOTE Very old memory... Might not be Peterbuilts.

here ,Tx, you can make a few simple mods and then you can register as a motorhome.
The escapees forum has a HDT forum and lots of folks drive big rigs. Lots have added hauler beds with a place to haul a smart car or motorcycle

As stated above, that rig plated as not for hire has no log books to deal with or other commercial requirements. Just met a guy last week pulling an RV with his Volvo. Had to ask what requirements were for our state. Regular class C and did not have to take the air brake endorsement. Thought that was odd not to do the air brake test. Been considering this myself. But, would do single axle instead of duals. Maybe a 33 gvw straight truck would be better and cheaper. Just cut down the frame. No need for a sleeper since your RV is behind you. Wasted space and weight. Good luck on your decision.

Getting around after you've parked the fiver?
agree, if you think it's difficult parking a longbed dually in town, try parking a rig like that in town..
I would say cost of ownership is going to be high ( running cost and insurance ) and service will expensive.

I will add we have been thinking about moveing up to the MDT trucks such as a Frieghtliner crewcab with a hauler bed. Our Chevy 3500 dually does fine with the toyhualer but even with the golfcar & all terrain mobility scooter still under max gvwr of 20K. I allready have the Tx class A nonCDL so good there. The airride suspenion is whats got me looking

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airick
Back
Top Bottom