What would YOU do? (4-down tow vs dolly)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a general update on this thread...

Been looking at the CR-Vs, but not made a move yet. I've been surprised at just how well these vehicles hold their value! The cost of getting a CR-V is higher than we thought, so while the option isn't off the table, we're scoping out other options. I can afford the CR-V... the issue is, should I? ;) It is, at the least, a $10,000 difference between my current car and a used CR-V (2012 model). So, this is starting to make a tow dolly look like the better way.

Surprisingly, the Prius doesn't appear to be worth much these days. I guess gas prices are making people look toward other vehicles.

So, as of now, cost could be the deciding factor here on towing the Prius on a dolly.

OR... maybe just getting an older CR-V... or something else. Seen some older Saturn Vues out there. Don't care for them at all, but it'd get the job done.

Opinions wanted:

- Any thought on getting an older CR-V and prepping for tow? My concern is investing the money in it to prep for tow when it is already an older vehicle. Is the only thing I'd have to replace the mounting brackets?

- Thoughts on the Vue?

I agree with Binary Bob. A dolly may be intimidating for people that are not handy in that way, but it isn't the nightmare it's made out to be if you are handy in that way. Long term cost is lower buy it once and done, yeah there is maintenance, that amounts to the occasional need for tires, new straps, brakes or wheel bearings, These all last for years. My brand new Tow Master cost $1400 in 2014, haven't spent a dime on it. Wait I have given the wheel bearings a couple pumps of grease. Every time you buy a used car for a flat toad it's a gamble as to what it needs repaired as well as a base plate purchase unless you shop an extremely narrow market for an identical car to swap your baseplate to. Then there is the type of supplemental brakes to use, some are easy to switch between cars, some have to be installed. What about lights? the dolly comes with lights.  If you are shopping for older models of readily flat towable cars you may be replacing them every few years.
A handy person will find a dolly to be pretty useful and know how to deal with one without the dramatic nightmare of possibly getting muddy, which hasn't happened to me yet.

Dollies have their place and there are several in the park I'm in at any given time.

Bill

Personally I like four down but in your case why not just get a used dolly and give it a try, worse case you don't care for it and can sell it and  probable get your money back. You will be able to keep your current car and get on with enjoying your RV. Pat.

So, dolly question...

I have a Prius, which rides pretty low to the ground. If I end up going the dolly route, I was looking at American Car Dolly since it seems to be good for low profile vehicles. I can't find one used, so would need to buy it new.

Couple questions...

(1) If I went out and got a standard dolly from the likes of Stehl, would the Prius go onto it without dragging? There's a fair amount of standard dollies out there on Craigslist... just not sure how easily the Prius would go onto them without needing to artificially lengthen the ramps or something.
(2) Likelihood of being able to sell the American Car Dolly for close to what I would need to pay for it?

Bill, do you have magnetic lights on your toad when you pull it?  The Washington State Patrol (we live in Washington, state that is) said we are required to have them

Nick

I towed from MA. To TX. and then around DFW, Livingston, and quite a few places south of San Antonio without any additional lights. Have also never registered the dolly so I have no plate on it. Didn't need a plate in MA. and don't need one in TX. Was told that the plate on the toad covers the dolly. Have towed the dolly with out a car on it, for short moves in south TX, with no problems so far. The short moves were usually following a drill rig to next site. Maybe enforcement was a little lax because of the size of everything else in the move and all the permitting and company safety men involved.

Bill

Since we have several vehicles available for RV trips I choose the tow dolly route. Found an abused (rescue?) Stehl tow dolly. Seller wanted $600 settled for $250.00 cash.

Restoration project:
1. Complete dis-assembly
2. Full sandblasting $50.00
3. Repaint materials $63.92 (Two colors)
4. New wheels and tires 182.36 (from Stehl)
5. Wheel bearings/races  + misc brake fluid, springs ETC. 15.46
6. New lights. $9.10 (Wiring was like new, just plug and play)
7. Case of beer (already in the shop fridge)
8. Friends that offered suggestions on the project and drank my beer---PRICELESS & FUNNY

Total cool newer dolly $570.84

Sold my old dolly for $590.00 on crags list (it was ridden hard and put up wet) The newest one has surge brakes.

I have in the past loaded the MGB for many trips, occasionally the Impala when meeting friends thus needed more room and the Ford F150 twice. This does not count the times friends would call and need a tow due to break-down.

Only once did I have to off load the vehicle when being un-smart & managed to get in a too tight of an area to turn around. Even 4 down would not have been any better. Just plan ahead and stick to the plan.

Since it is a personal choice 4 down or dolly, I'll stick to the dolly.

Cheers!

drisley said:
So, dolly question...

I have a Prius, which rides pretty low to the ground. If I end up going the dolly route, I was looking at American Car Dolly since it seems to be good for low profile vehicles. I can't find one used, so would need to buy it new.

Couple questions...

(1) If I went out and got a standard dolly from the likes of Stehl, would the Prius go onto it without dragging? There's a fair amount of standard dollies out there on Craigslist... just not sure how easily the Prius would go onto them without needing to artificially lengthen the ramps or something.
(2) Likelihood of being able to sell the American Car Dolly for close to what I would need to pay for it?

I have an American Car Dolly that has towed everything from my Ford pickup to my Toyota MR2 Spyder.
I don't think you'll have any clearance issues with the Prius. The Spyder has been towed with the dolly for several thousand miles without any problems what so ever, and it has very little ground clearance.

Corky

driftless shifter said:
I towed from MA. To TX. and then around DFW, Livingston, and quite a few places south of San Antonio without any additional lights. Have also never registered the dolly so I have no plate on it. Didn't need a plate in MA. and don't need one in TX. Was told that the plate on the toad covers the dolly. Have towed the dolly with out a car on it, for short moves in south TX, with no problems so far. The short moves were usually following a drill rig to next site. Maybe enforcement was a little lax because of the size of everything else in the move and all the permitting and company safety men involved.

Bill

Yah, no license for dolly here either.  We will have to spring for mag lights, only $40 . . .

If I was to do a lot of night driving I would rig something up. Not sure about mag lights, too easy for them to walk away while unattended. I'd probably figure away to hang them in the back window. Can't remember exactly but there is a regulation about needing a red flag for daytime or a single red light at night for a load extending 3 or 4 feet beyond rear of vehicle. I think a vehicle on a dolly would fall under that.

Bill

The dolly usually has lights right on the fenders. However I augment those with a set of magnetic lights on the towed vehicle.

I would like to add a flashing sign "Tailgaters WILL be brake checked often" but we know that will just invite disaster.

Cheers!

I had the same decision to make a few years ago, and went with the dolly.  We love our Prius, it was paid for, and has lots of miles left on it. The dolly was much cheaper than buying a different car and flat towing.  We've towed the Prius all over the country with absolutely no problems. (I'd estimate 20k miles)  Hooking/unhooking becomes second nature and only takes a few minutes.  I always check the straps after driving a few miles and can usually get a couple clicks tighter.  I check at every stop after, but they seldom loosen up after the initial settling in.  If we're stopping overnight, I try and find a pull-through to avoid unhooking, but it's not a deal breaker.  Good luck with what ever you decide, but the dolly works great for us.

I use a flat pry bar on my ratchet straps, I do check after the first couple miles but have never had to tighten them. I also replaced the nylon tire basket with chain. The chain allows adjustability for tire size.

Bill

When you load your car on the dolly if you leave about 2in gap in front of the tiers before you tighten the straps. After the straps are on before tightening, take the car out of park while you tighten the straps. This will allow the strap to pull forward and tighten the strap on the back side of the wheel. The straps do not slide on the wheel. Put the car back in park and make ready to tow, I have never found a loose strap later when I used this method. I still stop and check and check at each stop but no loose straps.
Bill

As a quick update, I went ahead and bought a 2012 CR-V. Now just need to prep it for tow. Decided to make my life easier in the long run. :)

Congratulations I know I like my CR-V. You might look at some of the for sale listings on the diferant RV forms I have see towing equipment for sale cheap. I bought my towbar used and had Blue Ox refurbish itat one of the ralleys.
Bill

whiteva said:
Since we have several vehicles available for RV trips I choose the tow dolly route. Found an abused (rescue?) Stehl tow dolly. Seller wanted $600 settled for $250.00 cash.

I have in the past loaded the MGB for many trips, occasionally the Impala when meeting friends thus needed more room and the Ford F150 twice. This does not count the times friends would call and need a tow due to break-down.
Question on Towing the MGB with a Tow dolly.  Did you tow in backwards?  I've been told that the MG can't be towed without removing the drive shaft.

Tow Dollies can be very unsafe , damage your vehicle and you can't back up . I would rather pull a vehicle on a full trailer than a dolly.

DO NOT tow backwards!  The front suspension was not designed to travel backwards at high speed.

A "driveshaft disconnect" devise is available.  It is installed on the back end of the drive shaft, and a lever by the driver seat will connect / disconnect the driveshaft.

Campingnut16 said:
Tow Dollies can be very unsafe , damage your vehicle and you can't back up . I would rather pull a vehicle on a full trailer than a dolly.
I have never had a problem using a dolly. Never had any damage so I don't know where you are getting your ideas. A full trailer can be very unsafe. ;D
Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom