What's happening to campground prices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have noticed it is reasonably easy to find parks under $30.00 west of the Mississippi but to the east it gets pretty difficult for the reasons Gary pointed out.

Have you read the AARP article about how boomers are cutting back to have the money to pay basic expenses? 66% have cut back on entertainment and eating out. I suspect that RV expenses are going to get cut back for a lot of boomers and some RV parks are going to price themselves out of existence.

Higher prices to cover expanded amenities like 50-amps, WiFi, larger sites, means that those who don't use those amenities are either helping pay for those who do or will bypass those parks who charge high fees to pay for those items.

Wendy

County Park in FL (Fort DeSoto) went from about $25 last year to $35 this year.  W/E and possible waterfront, great beach, interesting museum.  But, 70 miles away from home, and 35 a night.  Gets pricey quickly.

OTOH, at Lazy Days, this time of year at Rally Park, $22 a night, full hookup, wifi, cable pool jacuzzi etc, for $22 a night.  Oh, that comes with a local paper and breakfast & lunch.

We are going to see increases - as long as gasoline prices continue to rise ...... someone has to pick up the cost for garbage disposal, and those collection trucks might get 4 miles per gallon!!

Im afraid I would have to find places to boondock in the east.  I try never to pay over 40 a night.  Especially when I can get a motel for that price or less. 

Rally Park. Free bkfst and lunch and you get what you pay for. Sites are on top of each other and plenty of truck/interstate noise. Ok for a night or two but that's it IMHO. Would much rather be in Ft Desoto or Hillsboro River State Park.

As far as boondocking in the east US, very few places. And I wouldn't want to spend a night in a $40/night motel without a loaded gun and plenty of insecticide.  ;D

RP isn't that bad, OK, the food might not be what you ordered, but it is free!  And you know beforehand what it will be. 

Sites are tight, but I prefer it to the bugs at Hillsboorough, and I can't beat the commute.

Its only been a few years since the wife and I traveled by car and motel/hotel anywhere.  Found if we went to small out of the way towns enroute we could find descent motels and never had a worry.  Yes some were kind of like motels of old with small bathrooms, showers, and rooms, but found them to be clean, comfortable, and cheap.  LOL  Like rv parks, if we catch the ones between the big cities in our travels they are always a whole lot cheaper in them small towns.  They may not be resort material but heck they work and thats what counts in my book.

Now if you want to pay big time try Boyd's in Key West over the X-Mas New Year Holiday.  $175. per night for sea side.

You know this thread has inspired me... Musically that is (or mashed musically that is)

The campground prices are to high
Oh Ya, Oh Ya
They seem to race right up to the sky
How are we to pay

I pulled in one day and shuddered at the price
Oh Ya, Oh Ya
Before I left they increased it twice
How are we to pay?

I have to drive all night, I have to drive all day
But the only price rising faster than parking space
Is the fuel to go on our way!

Apologies to the author of "The Camptown Races"

The above lyrics are an original work by me.. Any use of them in performance, recording or any building of additional verses is strictly allowed.. Though if you record it I would like a copy.. Thank you

Joe Bee said:
Now if you want to pay big time try Boyd's in Key West over the X-Mas New Year Holiday.  $175. per night for sea side.

And I'm complaining about $45.00 a night at Jellystone Park?

I'd heard of "rich" campground fees at Key West, but hadn't heard of anything that high. Too expensive for me.

Joe Bee said:

Been there, done that, still can't back up a trailer

Love your tag line - I may steal that.

Joel
Oh no! Not another learning experience.

Our state parks recently went up to $35 a night.  This is when the olaces like Thousand Trails and passport etc start looking better.

PancakeBill said:
Our state parks recently went up to $35 a night.  This is when the olaces like Thousand Trails and passport etc start looking better.

Which state?? Of course, public campgrounds are just following the lead of private campgrounds when it comes to pricing.

Florida.  Not sure it is all the CG's, but the ones in our area have.  There is a place on the Little manatee River, docks and everything that has a grat deal for the summer.  $240 a month, with water and elec.  You can use the RV there 3 days a week.  Not for a full timer, but for us working folks, what a deal.  Campsite on the river, and not having to drive the coach there and back each week. 

I think we may sign up for June or July, or some combination.

wendycoke said:
Which state?? Of course, public campgrounds are just following the lead of private campgrounds when it comes to pricing.

Same in Illinois, last year public CG sites were $15-20 any night of the year.  Now they are $20-25/night depending on site with a $10 PER NIGHT surcharge on holidays (3 day minimum stay requried).  So my stay over the July 4th weekend will cost me $90!  :-\  Last year it would have been $45 ($15 x 3 nights) for the same location, power only with no water or sewer on-site (dump station only).  Very discouraging, and makes me wonder why I should pay extra for fewer conveniences, compared to private parks.

Place I am at here in Washington is 25 a night, 100 a week or 295 a month full hookups with 50 amp and free secure wifi.    I say secure only because it is password protected which isnt saying much but it better than those who leave it open to any and all.  They have restrooms, showers, and laundry room.  They say in the womens bathroom he has also put in a bathtub since some women prefer that to a shower.  LOL 

utmtman said:
They say in the womens bathroom he has also put in a bathtub since some women prefer that to a shower.   LOL   

I don't think I've ever seen a campground bathroom with a bathtub. Not sure I'd want to use it unless I was the first one in line after it was cleaned.

Wendy

I too have a membership in Thousand Trails, and before upgrading to the Platinum Membership (no time outs and 3 weeks in each preserve and one can go directly to another preserve), I had a 14 day max then 7 days out of the system - annual dues were $500, purchase price (resale) was $1,020 which included the $750 transfer fee.  Then too there's the affiliate program RPI, or the 50% discount camping membership of Enjoy America.

Although I have done major budget cuts at home (upped deductibles, unbundled package services on phone, etc., and returned to dial up for the computer), the 'savings' haven't all kicked in yet, so my last trip, I was able to utilize Passport America's discount and was pretty pleased with the results....no restrictions for Art's RV Sites in Fayetteville, NC, so enjoyed my stay for $12.50/night and was able to accomplish the delivery of my daughter's washing machine to her new home, spend quality time with her and husband as well as rest/relax and indulge in a passle of reading! 

It just killed me to spend double on the trip cost (gas) that I did just a year or so ago.  And, I'm becomming obsessed with entering the costs in my journals now.  But, I sure was pleased with the Art's RV Sites and the Passport America rate.  My 5 night stay paid for the annual membership and then some!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom