what's rattling back there??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV daytrader

My lil class c has a stiff suspension and I was hearing lots of rattles in back as I drove....here are some I found...window blinds, a/c filter cover, plastic piece in door that slides to access handle, antenna bumping roof, and stove parts. There still are some I have not found yet...any problem noise makers that you have come across??

Glass bottles and glass wine glasses!!  I've tried wrapping them in that rubber material that's used to keep items from slipping around, but it seems like I still hear them, especially on our WONDERFUL CA roads!!

4ducksrus said:
Glass bottles and glass wine glasses!!  I've tried wrapping them in that rubber material that's used to keep items from slipping around, but it seems like I still hear them, especially on our WONDERFUL CA roads!!

Glass bottles:  Go to a supermarket or wine store and see if you can scrounge an empty wine case.  It holds 12 bottle of your favorite light refreshment rattle free and is cheap besides.  If you cannot find an empty, go to Trader Joes, by a case of Two Buck Chuck and empty it yourselft -- cost $24.

Wine glasses:  My wine glasses are stainless steel, no rattle, no break.  If you don't like that go to a boating supply company like West Marine and buy a set of their clear polyethelene wine glasses like THESE

I never thought about the wine case...good idea!  As for the glasses, I have the plastic ones too, but my DH likes his wine in a REAL wine glass.  I'm fine with an old plastic cup, disposable too!  Thanks for the advise, as usual it's appreciated!

4ducksrus said:
I never thought about the wine case...good idea!  As for the glasses, I have the plastic ones too, but my DH likes his wine in a REAL wine glass.  I'm fine with an old plastic cup, disposable too!  Thanks for the advise, as usual it's appreciated!

Those polyethelene wine glasses are not the cheepos you get at convention wine and cheese parties.  We are talking yachtsy stuff. 

Are they better than the ones they sell at Camping World or Wallmart? If so, where would I find them?

I gave up trying to find all the places the noises are coming from.  Everytime you get 1 solved another 1 starts.
I eventually fixed it with Hi-tech electronics. 

(I turned up the radio).

Carl L said:
Those polyethelene wine glasses are not the cheepos you get at convention wine and cheese parties.  We are talking yachtsy stuff.
I solved the problem with my wine glasses clinking together.  I leave them at home and drink my wine from a plastic cup.  Not elegant, but with my old nose, the wine tastes the same.

Sliding closet doors, shower door, bedroom door - all rattle.  We removed the closet doors, which were mirrored (this was not flattering at all, at night), and replaced them with a curtain.  Much quieter, and very functional.  Shower door is now secured with a bungee cord - low tech but effective.  The bedroom door still rattles (its a sliding door), unless we remember to jam something in the opening between the door and the wall (it's secured open when travelling, and rattles against the wall). The stove rattled until we took the 'grill' looking thing off and put one of those wood covers backed with rubber on top of the burners, now it's pretty quiet.

Rattles were the first thing we tried to get rid of. The loudest one is behind the microwave and we cant get to it. I Just listen to loud music when we drive over 50 mph and it starts being super loud.  :)

Wine, tequila, rum etc bottles travel great in tube socks. 

Poleycarbonate wine glasses are great, eventually will scratch up, but last a long time.  Being real careful will delay the scratches.

turtleglass: The microwave is easy to dismount. My most prominent rattle was a loose metal filter that could only be reached from the top surface of the microwave!

The previous owners caulked it down :( like everything else they had in it, lol.  One Day I will spend the time to get it taken care of. :)

Not to boast; but, our Holiday Rambler DP is remarkably quiet on the road. We comment almost every time that it is a 15 year old coach and that it must be "screwed" together well. I have to give Kudos to my significant other for padding and carefully packing everything. We put the "big stuff" on the bed, too.

I kept hearing this noise, I was convinced it was the microwave loose.  I even had Tom take the front off and resecure everything, I cannot stand rattles.  Finally he was driving one day and I went back and listened, it turned out it was coming from the fan vent over the stove. I stuck a washcloth up in there and now complete silence, ahhhhh.  If that hadn't done it I was going to look at the flap over the vent from the stove, but I got it.  I guess we are lucky, so far no rattles other then that one.

I put in a 5000 watt amplifier and bought 10 rap cds.  Drive with it on shuffle at about 8/10 volume.  About an hour.  Then turn it off, rattles aren't that bad.

My rattle is from an empty metal trunk that used to be full of cash, before I started buying RV's. Didn't rattle when it was full, but now that the cash has run out, what a racket!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom