What's your tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Give it a chance. Everyone I know that has bought a new Ford with the 6.4L has told me that MPG improves with time/milage. Even my 6.0L gets better milage now than it did the first time I towed.

Larry

edjunior said:
One other observation concerning Dad's truck.  He's gone through an awful lot of fuel filters.  I'm not up to snuff so much on the diesels, but Ford from what I understand (can't vouch for Chevy or Dodge) has a sensor that tells you when you have water in your filter, and allows you to drain it.  I don't know for sure if this is the problem Dad is having, but he's gone through at least 4 or 5 fuel filters since he's had the truck...approximately 36000 miles.  And at $50.00 or so a pop, that's a lot of money, not to mention the work to change it. 

I've got the 2006 Duromax with similar mileage.  I've had the filter changed twice.  I try to have it changed based on what the driver's information display recommends.  It reads out in % of filter life remaining.  I'm pretty sure it's just based on mileage and not some sort of sensor.  Unfortunately, the last time it went to zero, we were in West Yellowstone, Montana, and I didn't take time to get it changed there.  In fact, we pulled the trailer on down south of Jackson, Wyoming, then down to Moab, and then all the way home to Arkansas without getting it changed.  I was planning on getting changed before we drove up to Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago, but before that trip, a family emergency took us out to Norfolk, Virginia.  While we were out there, I called the dealership here at home and scheduled a servicing.

The good news is, I never saw any problems.  In fact, we had some of the best fuel economy ever on the trip out to Virginia and back.  I may be naive, but the way that I looked at it, the fuel system of this truck was designed for the fuel that was being used in 2006 and the fuel that you normally get now, with the requirements of ultra-low sulfur, is probably cleaner, so the filter was probably not too badly clogged, especially with the fuel economy I was getting.

I'm towing with a 98 5.9 Dodge Ram and I absolutely love it. You just can't beat the Cummins engine. My Pop has an 03 diesel Ram that he tows a 30 some foot Airstream with and he gets about 16-17mpg towing.

I think as you do your research you'll find pros and cons on all trucks, but I honestly think you'll find less cons with the Ram, and the Duramax comming in 2nd. The Fords have been very problematic over the last year or so with several issues.

To wrap it up ... If all 3 were sitting in front of me I'd choose the Dodge.

For more help on this stop on over here

http://www.dodgeforum.com/forumid_143/tt.htm

I have the same screen name there as I do here ( mayfair )

Good Luck !!

I had a 2006 Dodge Cummins. I got awesome mileage! 22 highway. 15 pulling 7,000 lb trailer, 12 pulling NuWa Hitchhiker - 19,400 total weight.
The 3/4 ton 4x4 was too rough on the dirt roads. Sold it when I sold my 5er. Right now I drive a Suburban LTZ for the pure quiet and comfort. i am a Chevy man - - - but that Dodge Cummins pulled it all AND got good mileage. I actually kept a log.

'07 F-350 SRW Lariat Outlaw, 6.0L, Extreme Tune, ZooDad Mod.  I tow equipment so I also use it to tow my camper.

janpaul said:
If you are looking at mileage, and doing comparisons, look at the December Popular Mechanics comparison on Ford, Dodge, and Chevy/GMC 1 ton diesel trucks. The Chevy /GMC not towing got 18.26, the Ford 11.24, the Dodge 13.00.  Towing the same load, Ford 7.60, Chevy/GMC 10.50, Dodge 8.7. The Chevy/GMC also ranked the highest in most of their categories. Consumer reports did the same type of evaluation, same result. That being said, it all boils down to personal choice and staying within your tow ratings for the truck/trailer combination. They all make good vehicles, you just have to decide what is right for you personally. I get around 18-20 city, 24-26 highway, 10-13 towing depending on terrain, that is not exceeding 65mph on either. When you go up over 65 the MPG really declines, 62 on cruise is ususally my speed.

I have a 08 F-350 crew cab with the 6.4..............On this truck, not towing,  with two passengers, on the interstates, in cruise I get 18.5 to 21.5 depending on the terrain.  When towing the 31' travel trailer, weighing aprox. 9500 lbs, my mileage falls to an average of 11.5.  These mileages are hand calculated.

I have read the complaints about the 6.4 mileage, but I really cannot complain.  I did not expect over what I am getting.  The truck is an excellent tow vehicle.  Very quite, comfy and plenty of room.  Ford has done a terrific job on this truck............So far, I have to say that this is the best truck I have ever owned.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I thought I'd toss it in.  Keeping your tanks full of fuel will help reduce the amount of water that can collect from condensation.  The more empty space in the tank, the more air can be in there and when it is cold the water can condense in your tank.

Keeping your tanks as full as possible will help reduce water collecting in the tank.  I realize that on a trip you will burn most of a tank before you fill, and that is the way most folks do.  However, when you are not traveling and just around town frequent fillings of your tanks will help reduce the condensation issue.

1994 Chevy 2500 Cheyenne with a 350 ci TBI. I don't know the rear diff. I tow an 8000 GVW 5th Wheel adapted to a gooseneck.

I am very happy with towing performance. Towing mileage, however SUCKS! I'm getting roughly 6-7 towing. From what I understand, it is very comparable to the new Vortec 350's.

The truck has 191,000 miles on it and I have had very few problems so far. I bought it at 186,000 and have only spent enough money to put in the gooseneck hitch, new front tires, and tie rods. That's all.

The truck is more comfortable that any of the modern trucks. I know it is a gamble going with an older used truck. I lucked out, and other than my towing mileage, this truck has been absolutely fantastic.

Good luck with your picks!

Swampfox, all I have to say is WOW!!!! That's the best mileage I've heard. I'm a Ford man myself but I do like the Cummings motor too. I'm going to miss my 7.3 when she's gone but it'll be nice to take the whole family with me. It'll still be my work truck for sure. It's definitely a toss up between Ford and Dodge. Thanks for all the input from "real world" people and not a magazine article. I don't trust them and salesman.

Well first off, I have a 31 foot fifthwheel and weighs about 9200 fully loaded.  I used to tow it with a 99 F250 with the V-10 gas.  It got about 8mpg using premimum and it did fine but lacked the torque to pull the mountains at speed.  I got lucky and picked up a 2002 F350 dually with the 7.3 diesel.  It was like night and day and I am getting 12.5 towing the same route.  I generally travel 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year to about 12-15 ARCA races.  I recently put a DP tuner chip in there, and with the 60hp tow tune, I get about 14 mpg towing and lots more bottom end.  I still cruise at 65 but the mileage is definitely better than the gas.  I used to run 70+ but found out that the extra speed was the reason (and load range C tires) I had tire troubles the first 2 years I towed it.  I upgraded to load range E 10 ply tires and have only had a couple of isolated failures.  Get the 7.3 and  you won't be sorry.....Whatever you get, INSTALL A FULL SET OF GAUGES....It is really easy to smoke a transmission or overheat the pistons on a hard pull, no matter what youv'e got....Happy trails...Dave

I pull my Cedar Creek 36RLTS (38.5 ft.) w/a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 (w/5.9 Cummins)  dually 4 X 4 with 4.10 gears.  I average around 11-11.5 mpg at 60 mph on cruise.  I opted for the 4.10 gears for pulling in mountainous terrain.  You can really tell the difference going up steep terrain w/the 4.10 gears.  My 3500 never overheats and does not struggle at all and mileage is pretty consistent over all.  I initially pulled the 5ver with my other truck with 3.54 gears, great mileage on flat terrain but hills and mountains killed the mileage and she tended to overheat and struggle up the hills.  Recommend an exhaust brake be included in your new truck package as it is a real brake saver and really takes the worry out of dwon hill towing!!

I'll have to admit that I haven't kept up with the available options since buying my 2005 F-350, but one of the options that pushed us toward the Ford at the time was the integrated brake controller.  It works wonderfully.  Have the other manufacturers started using integrated controllers?  I have to admit that I'm lazy. Asking you guys is much easier than navigating the marketing laden web sites.  :)

BTW, I get about 11-12 MPG towing our 11,000 pound 5'er through the Appalachians of East Tennessee, about 18-20 driving highway, and about 15-16 around town.

-Dave

I have the 08 F350 DRW and I would be ecstatic with 20 MPG on the highway; however, with the 4.30 rear end it is not going to happen.  I have been very happy with my truck and have 15,000 miles on it without any issues.  It is a pulling machine and it is probably one of the most comfortable trucks I have had.  The crewcab has as much or more leg room than my prior Suburbans which is good for the boys when we are traveling.  Fuel mileage is horrible, however, power does not come cheap and I can't tow my toyhauler with a hybrid.  I love this truck!

Ron said:
If only Dodge would wake up and put an Allison with the Cummins then they would be unbeatable. :D
I'd have to agree on that one..........although dodge could come out with a smoother riding truck too(I guess I'm getting soft in my older years)

Just got my 2008 Dodge 2500 with 6.7L and 6 speed transmission, 4.10 rearend. Seats are not as comfy as that Chevy I mentioned earlier, but everything else is better about it. I can get 19.0 mpg out of it unloaded on FLAT terrain. Hills make that go down fast to 16, but it also brand new and not getting the best mileage yet.

To half-answer someone else's question, Dodge does not offer an integerated brake controller for their 2500 line. It does however come with the four wire connector so all you have to do is solder your brake controller to it and plug it into a harness under the dash, which is close enough for me. This way I can upgrade to a nicer one in the future.

All that being said, I do like the new Chevrolet's. I have, however, seen Chevrolet not really stand by their warranty as well as they should for a few engine problems a my buddy had with them (Vortec, not Duramax). A bit of wrasslin' with the company got it sorted out, but more than I would like to deal with.

Also, my 1999 dodge 2500 saved my life in a double roll over, so I tend to lean towards Dodge.

Good luck!

I have an 04 Ford F 350 PSD 6.0 4x4 running empty I get about 20mpg, towing with a 05 Keystone Challenger 29rkp fiver about 12-13 driving at 64.  I love the truck, comfort, power and looks.

egdeaile said:
I tend to lean towards Dodge.

Don't forget that Dodge now offers an exhaust brake for thier Rams. Everyone that I know who has one installed absolutely loves it

Back
Top Bottom