Wheel Base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pappi49

Doing some research for a friend. He is considering the purchase of a 30 ft. travel trailer and is planning on pulling with a 145 inch wheel base truck. Everything I have read says that in order to pull this trailer a 150 inch wheel base truck is better. Do you really think a 3-5 inch differance will make that big of a differance?

What is the opinion of the experts here. I pull with a 2500HD with a 159 inch wheel base so I can not really help him other than to say my experiance is great. As always, all opinions are greatly appreciated.

I will probably get negative reactions but I am a retired truck driver and truck repair shop manager and have towed camper trailers from pop tops to my current rig and driven small class C to mid size class A motor homes so I do have a bit of practical experience.

My truck is a 2011 Ram 2500 crew cab short bed, 149 inch wheelbase. Trailer is a 2013 Windjammer 3008W 34'10". I use an Equalizer 4 point weight distribution / anti sway hitch. Trailer scaled weight is 7560 lbs, tongue weight is 11.3% at 860 lbs. I have no problems towing, in fact when we bought the trailer I wound up using cruise control to keep my speed down to 65. The rig was stable and comfortable, passing trucks (either as the passer or the passee) had no effect on the rig at all.

With all that said, amount of experience and expertise has a lot to do with how a rig feels going down the road. Properly set up and driven in a sane fashion I would not hesitate to drive your friend's rig.

Added in edit: In review I was not terribly clear. Properly set up definitely includes not exceeding any weight ratings.

Dave / Believer45

Last edited:
My 2023 RAM 2500 has a 141" wheelbase and I have no qualms about towing a 30-foot TT.

Don't pay attention to that chart that says, "the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length." If I went by that my 141" would only allow me to tow a 27-foot TT. I can tow a TT or 5th-wheel well over 30 feet long, as long as I stay within my payload and towing caps.

Last edited:
The chart is a very useful tool. Its not perfect, but it gives you a place to start your thinking process. A lot of factors come into play when you are looking for success in towing. The tow vehicle, the weight distribution hitch, and the trailer itself.

Travel trailers are unique as they are not like cargo trailers and car haulers. You must understand the balance of the trailer to yield a proper tongue weight. Its all a numbers game.

Some trailers tow wonderfully at low percentages of tongue weight, while others require much more. Simple things like tire inflation and type of tire (tow vehicle) can make or break a successful and enjoyable tow. Its not just one thing, its everything.

My trailer towed wonderfully when it was totally empty when I bought it. it had never been equipped with a weight distribution hitch previously. I loaded it up and went to take a trip and it was a nervous tow. About half way to the State Park (Cloudland Canyon, GA, wonderful place) I considered stopping and draining the fresh water tank (in the rear). On the way home, I did empty the FW tank before I pulled out of the campsite, and yes, it made a difference, but still was not what I was looking for. After installing the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, I saw serious improvement in the tow but again, still wasn't right. I did ONE thing, and that fixed it. I had a plastic container in the rear storage with a 40ft 12 gauge extension cord, the 36ft 30amp shore cord for the trailer, and several different dogbones. I moved that one container to the front cargo pod, and now the trailer tows perfectly. I left the containers with the water hose and accessories, and the sewer hose and adapters and the awning rod and stabilizer hand crank in the back. I don't put anything else in there. I did have a tongue weight of about 800 lbs (weighed on CAT scales) but suspect that I am at about 850lbs now. This is a 7500 lb gross trailer that usually is about 6500 lbs. (need to go to the scales again).

Edit: before someone says something about the chains being twisted, I have recently welded (professional welder, older than me) new chain attach points to the outside of the tongue and the chains are now shorter and only crossed. Please don't twist chains to shorten them, it lowers the breaking strength tremendously. It took me a while to learn.

Charles

Attachments

• Blue Ox left side full view small.jpg
    Blue Ox left side full view small.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Agree with all the other replies. The truck wheelbase vs trailer is not a cut & dried thing that you can say Yay or Nay on a single number like that. I will say, though, that wheelbase sounds like it may be a half-ton truck and, if so, a 30 ft trailer is maybe pushing what it can do comfortably & safely. To have a meaningful opinion I'd want to know more about trailer weight (loaded actual and GVWR), truck payload and tow rating, whether the trailer is a 5W or TT, etc.

Gary RV_Wizard you make a very good point. I was stuck in "wheelbase is not as much of a consideration as weight ratings" mode. It would help to know what the original poster's friend's truck is and weight ratings.

At some point the trailer may become "the tail wagging the dog", but it's not the first or second thing that comes to mind when evaluating a tow vehicle. Overall trailer weight is a major factor and so is tongue/pin weight, and each needs to be considered vs the truck's measured capabilities, i.e. GVWR, Tow Rating, Payload, etc. Even then I wouldn't say any single one of those things is a deal breaker. Driver skill & experience is a factor too, but not one we can readily assess in a discussion like this.

I had a 1999 Silverado 1500 and a 2002 Silverado 2500 - both extended cab 6.5' box so same wheelbase but considerably different capabilities!
My 2000 Silverado, 4x4, Manual, 6-foot bed had a max towing cap of 5400#. If I'd had the automatic the tow cap would have been 7000#. The lower tow cap for the manual was because GM got tired of replacing transmissions under warranty because people who think they know how to use a manual transmission really don't.

So, I have a 2020 F150 supercrew with a 145" wheelbase. A 30' travel trailer will not play nice. If it is a 3/4 ton, maybe. The problem with mine (and it was special ordered, maxtow, blah blah), if I attempted that trailer, in general they are very light in comparison to the length, and my F150 simply does not have the weight to stay planted. My measly 21 ft, 24ish trailer at times when windy can scoot me 1/2 a lane. I keep mine pretty nose heavy too. If I could have one redo, I would have ordered the longer bed and 157" wheelbase.

Well, after reading all your comments he has decided to start all over again. Going to take a hard look at trailer and or truck to get the best fit.

If i remember I wil update when he has made a decision.

Thanks for the information.

My 2023 RAM 2500 has a 141" wheelbase and I have no qualms about towing a 30-foot TT.

Don't pay attention to that chart that says, "the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length." If I went by that my 141" would only allow me to tow a 27-foot TT. I can tow a TT or 5th-wheel well over 30 feet long, as long as I stay within my payload and towing caps.
Right! That rule-of-thumb has been widely accepted by the towing community for the past 30 years i know about. Here is something to reinforce your statements;

Like any rule-of-thumb, this one is intended as a short-cut for those who lack (or don't want to bother with) the skills/experience to make a more rigorous determination. Take it as a warning that a threshold is being exceeded and MAYBE you should get some expert guidance before proceeding. Which is what pappi49 is doing for his friend...

There is at least one tow vehicle, for which that rule-of-thumb came up short. Remember the old Ford extended (15 passenger?) van? The extra long overhang was murder for towing.

Another factor that is rarely mentioned when discussing towing capabilities is the weight of the vehicle that is towing as compared to the weight of the trailer being towed. All of the various rules and design limitations play into the results. The purpose of them is to find a simple answer to a very complicated question. You could also factor in road and weather conditions when and where you will be towing. What handles well on a good road with good weather might become a nightmare in high winds and/or bad roads.

A couple of other factors to consider besides wheelbase for safe and comfortable towing. An example is the aerodynamics of the TT (9:40 minute mark of the video below). Also, wheelbase versus overhang of the TV (19:29 minute mark of the video below).

A couple of other factors to consider besides wheelbase for safe and comfortable towing. An example is the aerodynamics of the TT (9:40 minute mark of the video below). Also, wheelbase versus overhang of the TV (19:29 minute mark of the video below).

I'm not even going to watch the video before I say, "If that is an actual picture of that sedan towing that trailer, they are a danger to everyone on the road."

I'm not even going to watch the video before I say, "If that is an actual picture of that sedan towing that trailer, they are a danger to everyone on the road."
Hahaha! You should reserve judgement until you watch the video. He proves that the Chrysler 300 is probably safer than your truck pulling that trailer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom