Wheel Bearing Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amy and Randy

I was experiencing play in my steering on my Winnebago Journey.  The RV repair place recommended packing the wheel bearing and realignment of the front-end.  I had them accomplish this and took one trip.  During the trip I noticed a smell coming from the front-end.  Once I got the motor-home home, I started noticing a leaking of oil from both front wheel.  I returned the motor-home to the repair place where they said the front seals were leaking and I would have to replace calipers, rotors and $900 in labor. 

It seems odd that this problem started after the repair place did the front-end work.  Is this a coincidence or is it possible the repair place could have over-charged the wheel bearing or is there a another explanation for this situation?

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Why would they have to pack the wheel bearings when they have an oil bath? It sounds like they caused the problem, so they need to affect all repairs needed due to the seals leaking on their dime. If they don't, then a lawyer would be my next stop. That's another case where to support the recommendations given here about letting an RV place work on the "house" and chassis shop take care of the chassis. Most of the RV repair places can't even fix the "house" correctly, let alone the chassis.

There are different rules for packing bearings depending on if the wheel has brakes or not.. They packed as though it was a light weight trailer, no air space in the bearing,  So when the grease expanded as it will from heat of normal use, it blew past the seal and .. Well, you see what you got.

Proper packing leaves some head room for expansion as I recall from back in the days when I studied that kind of thing.

I would seek a professional opinion from a different shop. If they confirm what I typed... Well, then you may need more professional help of a different kind.

Front seals on the inside of the rotors? Wiped out the brake calipers and rotors? Naw, I think someone is blowing smoke up your wazoo. Normally the inside seal, on rotor, is replaced when the bearings are taken out for replacement or repacking with grease. If that inside seal leaked they either used the old one over or over tightened the bearing adjustment. I still cant see how that would've wrecked the rotor and calipers. Brake pads yes, would've needed replaced if grease got on the rotors. Rotors can be cleaned.

Amy and Randy said:
I was experiencing play in my steering on my Winnebago Journey.  The RV repair place recommended packing the wheel bearing and realignment of the front-end.  I had them accomplish this and took one trip. 

My first questions is, Did the first repair fix the play in the steering.  I ask as "play" to me means the wheel is sloppy and moves a bit without changing direction of the vehicle. Pulling or handling problems an alignment can fix. If the bearing are really bad/loose can cause some pulling.

From the description and the secondary problem, this seems sketchy to me. But I admit, I am overly paranoid of repair shops. (I worked in one for 5 years)

I would look to a different shop for an opinion.

If it is a greased front wheel bearing, not an "Oiled", it is quite impossible to repack the bearings without removing the seal. I am not familiar with oiled, but I think the same. It is also not possible to remove the seal without damage, and it should never be reused, always replaced. Even if grease did get on calipers and rotors, they are cleanable.  $900 in labor?  A Hollywood star must do their brake work!

I would think this is not coincidence, but rather incompetence.

Regardless of whether it's a grease packed bearing or oil bath, they both have seals which would have been replaced with new from the get-go at a reputable shop. If there was any problem with the calipers/rotors/pads when they got it apart, they should of made the phone call to inform you before proceeding. A reputable shop would have made this ordeal a one stop fix. It's not rocket science. Mark this experience as a bad one and move on.

IMHO, they took your money. Don't go back.

I don't know in MH, but in some cars if you have rotors that need replacement they can cause some steering play.  Maybe your first problem was the rotors not the bearings.  I agree with some people in the forum, it seems they put too much grease or put the the nuts to tight.  MHO

Seems like the Journey is on a Freightliner chassis. That SHOULD mean the front bearings are oil-bath, not grease-packed...
From the description of the problem, it sounds like the shop over-filled the hubs.

https://secure.freightliner.com/newbulletins/techmanuals/DM-MM_Web/English/fccc/Maintenance%20Manuals/recreational%20vehicle%20chassis%20maintenance%20manual.pdf
(page 63)

Of course, I CAN NOT be sure that manual is correct for the OP's model and year.

If they don't have the proper manual, maybe they should make a call to Freightliner Custom Chassis...

864-487-1700

I ran into the same problem.  Had a brake job done at a shop.  And 5 miles after I picked up my truck. The brakes where worse then ever.  They wanted 1,200 for rotors and bearing.  And anouther 500 to install.  Could case less that they just did a brake jop.    I ended up replaceing the rotors my self.  And folding a lawsuit in small claims court.  I won because they never showed up.  But I was never able to recover my money.  They went out of business shortly after that. I wasent the only unsatisfied customer.    I recommend you go to a new shop

Part 2.  Repair was completed for $515.  They replaced inner hub seals (2) and Oil Bath Cap Service and inspected bearings.  They said they cleaned rotors and calipers.  In addition, they add .5 of 75/140 synthetic oil. 

The brakes seemed to work fine (no noise) on the way back to the house (driving forward).  At the house I backed up several times and the brakes made a screeching sound.  The noise got quieter each time I applied the brakes.  Am I correct in assuming that this noise will stop or did they do something else wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom