Wheel bearing oil baths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From jim-488
I have Stemco oil bath on my MH. The seal went bad. Oil ran down the back rim, did not touch my brake pads. Seen a little come out the front rim holes. Still had some oil in the hub. Just check the wheel off and on to make shore no fresh oil on the back of rim.
Now why did this happen? The MH had been setting for a long time before I bought it. I was told the top part of the seal dried out, that cause it to leak. One should jack the wheel up and turn the wheel about ever 3 or 4 weeks or move the MH to keep the seal wet with oil. That is if the MH is setting a long time not used. I like the oil bath. Check out Stemoc on line. Hope this helps

Howdy.
We have oil baths on our 1993 WL, original equipment.  That is another item that is on our visit-to-the-BlueBird-factory check list.  :D

Regards,
Liz

We have 120K on our 15 year old Beaver Marquis with never a leak or bit of trouble with the oil bath bearings. And our coach sits 4 - 5 months of the year.

Let's see, that' $200 per year saved on repacking at once a year equals $3000.  What's the question again?

Chet18013

Granted, my F53 chassis is no King of the Hill but the normal service interval for repacking the bearings is every 30k miles; nothing about months of use. This changes dramatically when operated off-highway (every 1k miles) or when operated "...in mud and/or water" (DAILY)! I think I'll split the difference and do it every 120,000 furlongs (15k miles). :D

Our Workhorse [gas] chassis has oil bath bearings and it sure is nice to be able to just take a peak at the sight glass once in awhile and know for sure that everything is OK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom