When a full-timer is being hassled in the neighborhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this thread went from fulltimer being hasseled to a group dissertation on homeless peeps........ lol

My guess in op is that the guy is simply going thru a divorce and as is usually the case the guy gets tossed out of the house.......and he had to live someplace and he grabbed the old rv (cause she didn't want it) to crash in till stability returns.

That being said I'll move on to Ocean Beach San Diego: Peeps abound there who live out of their cars, trucks, vans rv's etc: some from short term necessity others just like it and so they live that way; others like me winter near the SD beaches. Peeps of all ages - from 18-20 year old university idealists in search of whatever to 70 yr old first generation 'surfer dudes' who love the beach ........ Its a very interesting lifestyle and I enjoy hangin with em when I'm there in the winter. Hell I'm one of them. while I park my trailer in one a the RV parks I frequently hang with em on the beach in my burb or my bicycle.

The parking rules at Ocean Beach are NO Parking in the Beach lots from 3AM till 5 AM which means you can hang there for 22 hours but not 24 hours...... Around 9pm to 2 am or so everyone typically moves out to find a safe spot to park for awhile - usually in an industrial area - as you will most likely get hassled by the POolees if you bunk up on a side street in a residential area.......... also if you're in that lot 1 minute past 3am not only WILL you get a ticket you might even get towed away. give the cop any crap whatsoever and you'll get a handcuft ride in a backseat.

Then sometime between 5am and 10 am we all return to the beach parking lot for the next beach daily ditto..........trust me on this - if you don't have a spot by 10:30am its going to take you a long while to find one and it probably won't be where you really would like to be.

Sometimes I just ride my bicycle to the beach with sleeping bag and - then I can bunk up there all night right on the beach sand - especially if I plan on enjoying
one of the often occurring campfire all nighters (there's ALWAYS at least 1 peep with a guitar).......... :^) U can sign me: Fulltimer who never has gotten hassled.

Thanx.........INTJohn

Much of the PC mindset seems to [erroniously] think that it's all the fault of society, and that they would have us elevate victimization to a point of total un-reality when in fact
most people are 100% responible for their own actions & predicaments.

There's nothing wrong with the fulltiming lifestyle provided one does so responsibly, instead of leaching off the kindness of other and taking advantage
of a stupid and erronious PC mindset that seems to permeate like the social disease that it actually is.

Oh my goodness, I know I am late to this discussion but hope some will reread and see my little story that is the other side of the coin.
    My partner and I took care of my mother the last 4 years of her life but when she died there was no will. That said we were going to be homeless very quickly, you see the state of California paid us to take care of her so she could live out the rest of her life in her home where we also lived with her to care for her 24/7. We quickly had an open house yard sale and sold as much as we could, much to my grief at not being able to keep more memories but I am getting off track. We managed to get a MINI camper for my Toyota 4 X 4, cab over the cab (it was so small I could stand at the end of the truck open the camper door and wash the entire floor, I am only 5ft7in tall!! lol) This became HOME for us 5 cats and a dog...cozy to say the least!!
    My partner quickly got another job and I was out looking when some guy runs a red light and T-bones me almost flipping the truck and camper over (I had no insurance as my partner had not even gotten a first check yet) so no law suit or settlement  came NOT EVEN repairs (Now I go without eating to be sure I have full coverage ALWAYS!!)...the worst was that I got hurt...this was the beginning of the end of my vertebrae at L4 thru S1...so every day My partner (Pam btw) goes to work and I stayed in the camper caring for the animals in the parking lot of her job. At the end of the day we were in the same city as a friend so we would park on the street across from his place (across because his place was a 6 unit apartment building with no vacancies at the time) We never left trash, nor played loud music and the truck did look ok...YET someone called the police and we were harassed out of bed at about 1am to MOVE IT ALONG!! Back then and I am speaking this happened about 20 years ago (but people are still the same...some true Christians, some just grumpy always having a bad day. We didn't call ourselves "fulltime RV'ers" but to keep our chins up and hope alive we called ourselves the "High Class Homeless" cuz we carried our home in a truck not a grocery cart. There are always those that will not take a minute to think "Gee I wonder what happened that they have to live like that" Not one of my high school friends said "when I graduate I am getting the best shopping cart and put all my worldly goods in it and live on the street!"
    As for your worries about your older RV...some parks do want newer ones but then those parks usually charge way to much by the night anyway!! LOL I have found that as long as the outside looks in decent shape there isn't a problem, especially if YOU are nice to the management and show some manners too! Pam and I are happy to announce we have been together for over 30 years and this past May we finally able to get married LEGALLY IN ARIZONA!!! With the managements permission, we had our wedding in an RV Park we like ( See posting for Desert Sands RV Park Phoenix, AZ). Life is better and we got our dream to retire to full time RV-ers in a bit bigger rig (33 feet with slide out, only 2 cats but now 2 large dogs!! LOL) Good Luck to you and no worries, karma is great and goes on INTENTION!!

I sort of skimmed through this thread, but I think it was titled incorrectly. I think it should have been titled "When a homeless man in a decrepit van parks in your neighborhood...what should you do?" Calling him a full-timer is a misclassification.

Years ago I saw a homeless man peeing on the side of my house, but I was too far away to do anything. The next morning I waited and caught him doing it again. My solution was to turn the hose on him. He never came back.

On the other side of the coin, if someone parked their rv for the night near my house, as long as it was in reasonable condition, it wouldn't bother me at all as long as he/she was visiting for a few days or just wanted to get some sleep before getting on the road the next day. But don't leave any garbage behind.

I hope someone will ask me what my point was. Hint: might have something to do with nothing.

Yes. You come over to my house and you will get the same treatment if you behave in the same manner.

If you use the side of my bushes one time, I might give you a pass.

But if you have a motorhome, you better use your own pot.

Back
Top Bottom