When deciding on an RV are there an makes, models, or model years to avoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My kid, being a kid (in his late 30's but still a kid to me), keeps upgrading his phone to the latest and greatest. I can't believe some of the pics he takes with his phone.
I know this is more a function of the person taking the pictures than the phone. My pictures all still look like snapshots, his look like art.
Have you read my article here on tips for beginners? That would help you a lot.

Re:
I once drove 50 miles to look at a Beaver that was in "great condition". It was the worst RV I have ever looked at.

This kinda illustrates my point, it was poor quality to begin with, regardless of how well it was maintained.

Most of haters own an Apple and have never actually owned an MS product.

I have never owned a new RV and so I cannot judge quality. I don't think anyone can judge quality unless the owned it as new. When you buy used all you can judge is how well it was maintained.

I'm firmly in the camp that most "haters" are former users of MS operating systems, products, and PC devices. Most people don't know what "better" is until they experience it. And that gives the perspective to judge quality.

We bought a NEW Forest River Coachman class C last year and it was lacking any kind of Quality Assurance and Quality Control. We could see daylight thru base of bathroom wall. I unloaded it and purchased an older Winnebago, tremendous increase in quality, fit and finish.

I'm firmly in the camp that most "haters" are former users of MS operating systems, products, and PC devices. Most people don't know what "better" is until they experience it. And that gives the perspective to judge quality.
I use Chrombooks not MS stuff. I have experienced many Apple products and have not found one single thing that makes them better. Why are they better? I can buy a dozen Chromebooks for the price of one Mac laptop.

I use Chrombooks not MS stuff. I have experienced many Apple products and have not found one single thing that makes them better. Why are they better? I can buy a dozen Chromebooks for the price of one Mac laptop.

No arguing from me that price can be the dominant and only factor in a purchase decision. One can buy a dozen or more travel trailers or 5th wheels for the price of a well-built motorhome.

Mac OS is inherently more secure than Windows, and for a long time, the code was more efficient than the Windows kernel (still is), which means a Mac with a lower hardware spec than a PC running Windows could run circles around it in many instances (still can). There's also hardware and peripheral optimization; whereas Mac controls the hardware integration with its OS, in most cases it's faster and less buggy than Windows running a billion different configurations due to the number of hardware suppliers in the market. I could go on and on, but for most people who want a "laptop" to "surf the internet", a Chromebook will do for them what any PC or Mac could do, and they think hardware selection is mostly agnostic. It isn't, but there's nothing wrong with that; in fact, I'd say a Chromebook is the better choice versus a cheap PC for everyday email/surfing for the average user who computes like they commute and only needs basic transportation.

I'm sure similar comparisons could be made to different brands of RV's. A corrugated aluminum travel trailer versus an Airstream. The latter is just better-built, but if that doesn't matter and shouldn't if all you want to do is camp.

My current computer is a Windows 10 HP laptop I bought at the local Walmart in Rock Springs, WY for less than $250 when my old one died while I was visiting there last year. It does everything I need and is much faster than the one it replaced. The 237 GB solid state hard drive came in handy when I loaded several movies on it to watch during a recent cross country flight.

This kinda illustrates my point, it was poor quality to begin with, regardless of how well it was maintained.
A Beaver? Not likely poor quality to begin with (I've owned one, and seen more), but some folks that can afford those new don't care enough to take good care of them- even "great" can be trashed in a fairly short period of time if not cared for.

Mac OS is inherently more secure than Windows, and for a long time, the code was more efficient than the Windows kernel (still is), which means a Mac with a lower hardware spec than a PC running Windows could run circles around it in many instances (still can).
This is one of the reasons I dislike Apple. Run circles around it? Pure BS and not provable.
There's also hardware and peripheral optimization; whereas Mac controls the hardware integration with its OS, in most cases it's faster and less buggy than Windows running a billion different configurations due to the number of hardware suppliers in the market.
Once again pure BS. I used Windows for 25 years from 2.1 in 1987 till 2012. Never used virus protection and never got a virus.

I could go on and on, but for most people who want a "laptop" to "surf the internet",
Yep, you could go on and on making up stupid lies that you make up. Most of the Apple sheep have never even touched a Windows machine, much less owned one. I cannot argue with Apple user any longer.

No disrespect meant, I'm not familiar with the brand, I was going by what was posted.
Beaver was a premium line of coaches built in Oregon, their build quality was some of the best in the industry, unfortunately they went away after Monaco bought out Safari, shortly after Safari bought out Beaver.

This is one of the reasons I dislike Apple. Run circles around it? Pure BS and not provable.

Yep, you could go on and on making up stupid lies that you make up. Most of the Apple sheep have never even touched a Windows machine, much less owned one. I cannot argue with Apple user any longer.

I appreciate the friendly sparring, but I'm telling you it's not an argument, you just may not know what you don't know, and that's OK too.

It's like arguing a cheap corrugated aluminum travel trailer is just as good as an Airstream because both can take you camping, and while that's true, there are actually appreciable differences. Each have their use case.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I dislike Apple.
My biggest reason for disliking Apple is their excessively tight control of everything. I have to go through hoops to copy pictures (videos, etc.) from or to my iPad. On Android or Windows that's fairly simple, done on a moment's notice.

They have decent hardware, and their software mostly just works, but they are maddening to use beyond very simple things that Apple decided they'll let people do.

I dislike Apple mainly because of the fanboys who wait in line for three days to buy the latest iPhone. And the fanboys who make stuff up to prove Apple is better than Windows. Apple is high priced so the fanboys think it is better since it is more expensive. Then when they pay the high price they gotta make up a reason why it is better with no proof to back it up.

I believe the OP was asking about RVs. Until Apple and Microsoft start making them (shudder), this may be irrelevant. Imagine having to shut off your engine, close all your windows and re-open them just to travel down the road?

A Beaver? Not likely poor quality to begin with (I've owned one, and seen more), but some folks that can afford those new don't care enough to take good care of them- even "great" can be trashed in a fairly short period of time if not cared for.
Own a rent house for a little while and you learn this the hard way.

I believe the OP was asking about RVs. Until Apple and Microsoft start making them (shudder), this may be irrelevant. Imagine having to shut off your engine, close all your windows and re-open them just to travel down the road?

Or how about proprietary connectors on shore-power cords!

Being asked to install software updates for the toilet, before you can do your business.

Having to drag the microwave into the trash can to properly eject the food.

Blue screen of death....at 60mph!

(This is what happens when we've already had good discussion on a topic....the thread starts to drifffffft)

It wasn't lost. Nothing I haven't heard before. I work there. :)
Reminds me of a call I got from "Matt" at "Windows" telling me that my computer had sent in an automated message that there was a virus on my computer and I needed to let him log into my computer to let him fix it. Told him I was outside at the mailbox and asked him to hold the line while I got back inside. I then put the phone on the armrest and continued to watch TV. When I heard him asking if I was still on the line, I picked up the phone and said that the dog got away from me and to please hold on while I chased him down, then returned the phone to the armrest. When I heard him calling out again I picked up the phone and said that I was back in the house and Turing on the computer, asking him to wait while it booted up. Then returned the phone to the armrest. This went on for a full 15 minutes before I got tired of playing and hung up on him. Believe it or not he actually called me back!

Back
Top Bottom