When to use teflon tape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

I have a new Anderson valve to install. The valve is brass and the pex fittings are plastic.  Should I use teflon tape with the new brass  valve?
Thanks

No. Plastic fittings deform if tape is used since people tend to overtighten rather than rely on the design of the piece. Same for ABS and PVC - no tape.

Of course, we'll also hear from folks that had leaks and used lots of tape and swear it solved their problems - the industry will disagree.

I am a fan of tape. One wrap.  As stated above, a couple wraps can cause problems, let the tapered thread do it's job.

I personally only use tape on brass to brass pipe fittings.

Plastic deforms. If the instructions for the plastic or general use dictates a recommended sealing enhancer I would use whatever is called out for the plastic.

If I suspected a brass to plastic joint might leak I would consider a non-hardening sealant designed for plastic.

That's my practice but I would consider no-harm, no-foul for using one to two wraps of teflon tape. Don't overtighten which is a very "common" handiman mistake. Low pressure water systems should seal hand tight + 1/2 or 3/4 turn.

Thanks,  I will only use the teflon tape for the brass to brass connection,  if there is an issue I will wrap as necessary.
That's tomorrow's project.  Today I run sewer pipe to my out door sink, last summer I ran the hot and cold water to it.

I only use on metal, whether brass or otherwise.  Plastic fittings do not require teflon tape and as mentioned, could possibly deform the threads.

Another thought, only use Teflon tape on pipe thread to pipe thread fittings, NEVER on flare or compression joints.

I use tape on everything that doesn't compress; like flares, compression or rubber gasketed fittings.

I use 3-5 wraps of tape depending on the brand of tape I use on all brass or plastic fittings; cheaper stuff is thinner and 3 wraps usually isn't enough, so I bump it to 5. Good tape only needs 3; sometimes 2.

If you overtighten fittings with a rubber seal, you will likely crush the gasket and deform it, so you may not be able to reuse the fitting.

Back
Top Bottom