Where are the Class B owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just bought a 2010 Airstream Interstate 3500 but won't take delivery until April. See my post "Airstream Interstate to Alaska" in Van Conversions. I can hardly wait to get behind the wheel and head north to Alaska! I'll take good notes on the trip.

b_smitty, I see that your new Pleasure Way is build on the same chassis as my Airstream but mine is a 2008 2008 Freightliner. It also looks like your unit has similar features and options. I'll be anxious to hear about your initial impressions and a report of your first excursion. It sounds like we have similar tastes in camping.

Our previous (not yet sold) road tripper is a 2001 VW Eurovan Camper (conversion by Winne). We did 13K miles in it in 3 months at the end of 08 and drove home to Anchorage in December. Minus 50 deg. F in Tok, AK!

WS in AK

Here is a shot of my cousins' little Pup that may be on the market soon. His girlfriend wants a BIGDOG

Attachments

• 000_0261.jpg
    000_0261.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
King said:
'98 Pleasureway, Massachusetts. 
Have no questions now, everything works.

How long have you owned it? How far can you travel with it (for fear it might breakdown)? How much did it cost you?

I would overall prefer a class b. One it is smaller and more convenient to park where I live. However they seem unreasonably high priced. I would have to buy a second hand one but don't want a fixeruper or one that I cannot feel comfortable in driving long distances in - such as a few thousand miles.
So any info you can share on your van would be appriciated. I just want to get enough info to find out if a class b is really what I am looking for.

I'm new to the site, but I've been a Class B owner for awhile now.  I have an '89 Intervec on a Ford chassis, and I use her to live in while I am working on the road, and she is the second most favorite woman in my life, after my wife!  I spend 7 months a year in her, and then in the winter she pulls duty as a mobile beach cottage in TX for me and my love.  I drive her from Texas all the way up into the northeast in the spring, and use her all summer long going from city to city.  When I go home once every 4 weeks or so, I just park her in the long term lot at the airport and fly home.  When I come back a few days later she's just sitting there waiting for me to get her back out on the road again.  In the fall when my work is done, I just point her south, turn on the cruise control and take her home for the winter.  She ain't pretty, and she ain't all that young anymore, but she is the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned and I just love her!

There are many Class B owners, and as someone said they are in the wood work.  And very few owners are willing to sell, due to it being very convenient to operate and inner conveniences. Almost any female can drive it without encountering any problems. We just purchased a 1979 Dodge Camper Van with only 60.000KM  got it by word of mouth ( it was a secret). The owner had it in storage for nearly 5 years and drove it just to keep it moving and made about 500 miles. It is in near perfect condition.

Hi,
We have a Pheonix Cruser 2400 and love it.  We can take it to town and park just about anywhere.  Our only issue is the electric blowup bed, we'd like to find a convertable sofa that will fit in the same space...

Mike and Trish Wenzel
Oklahoma City

Hello, my husband and I are going to be retired soon, and are looking at purchasing a used class b motorhome.  I'm new to the board and can't figure out where the best place is post my question. 

In your expert opinions, what is the best used motorhome for $20,000 or less?  We plan to tour the US, but probably not all at once.  We live in the Pacific Northwest.  Thanks in advance!

Hi welcome to the RV Forum.  Cost of course is a major consideration.  Other things to consider are:  your life style (ie are you used to camping, RVing, traveling, etc), how much elbow room do each of you require to be happy, short trips vs long multi-month trips.  You will find many low mileage RV's for sale because people really did not think out their needs and wants in advance of buying.  That is the "dream" meets reality.  That said, I think it is a GREAT way to see the country and get to meet people.  If you have never camped or traveled in an RV before (be it Class A, B, or C....or a pop up or a travel trailer) you might want to rent one similar to what you are thinking about getting just to try it on.

Have fun and enjoy your retirement

We have a new to us  2001 Pleasure-way Excel TD on the Dodge 3500 Van chassis.  Since we purchased it the end of January it has not been good weather for camping here in Northern Nevada, hope to try it out soon.  We also have a 29? Class C, not sure if we will keep both.  Once we have traveled in the B we will be able to make that decision.  After we purchased the B a forum member said "why not also get a Class A and have a complete set" (LOL).
Regards, Dick

I bought my 2005 Pleasure-Way Lexor TD  in December and am champing at the bit to get going on my year-long road trip -- if only I can find a renter for my place!! Two hot prospects have changed their minds at the last minute. Since I don't have a timetable to adhere to, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, except that I want to be on the road NOW!

Patty in Denver

I finally found someone to rent my place and take care of my cats! My departure date for my year-long road trip is Aug. 5. I am madly packing up my house to make room for my renter -- the crazed packing of my Pleasure-Way Lexor is still ahead. It all seems fairly unreal, and at the same time I'm so looking forward to being on the road. I'm heading first for Montana, to visit a friend who has a ranch in the Madison valley, an incredibly beautiful part of the country; then to the Escapees' Boot Camp in Gillette, WY, at the end of August. After that, not sure. I am planning to follow my nose. Maybe I'll see some of you out there.

Cheers --

Patty

Hello,
I have been lurking around the forums for a while and thought I would introduce myself. 

We have a 2005 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Class B.  It's a Freightliner Diesel and we bought it new several years ago.  So far, we have logged over 50,000 miles and have had only minor maintenance issues.  Our model has two long benches in the back that form a bed.  We leave it made into the bed all the time and bought a good mattress for it. 

We are currently planning a trip to Yellowstone and considering retirement and possibly full-timing in the future.

Are there any other full timers who travel in Class B's?

Gee a class B person posting!!

Sounds like yours is a G26 style.

We do not full time though, so can't help you.  The most we have stayed in our 'B' is 2 months.  If I was considering full timing though I would want a tow vehicle for getting around.

Good Luck and Happy Travels

2003 Chinook Premier here ... some call it a 'B', other folk I've talked to have referred to it as a 'B+', and some of the old Chinook advertisements called it a 'C'. 

Whatever it is, at 21' it's a terrific rig!  Acquired earlier this year, most weeks you can find us in it at some remote hideaway where larger rigs fear to tread!

If you are interested, Chinook information, a variety of related links, some old advertisements, and most of our personal Chinook exploits can be found on our blog http://chinookers.blogspot.com/

Yes, Len and Jo, our model is the G26.  We have a hitch and a Mini Cooper that we could use as a toad, but this is so much easier to drive than our "regular car" (GMC Yukon) that I didn't even consider towing anything.  It's really easy to park and is actually about the same length as the Yukon and not as wide.  I hate driving the Yukon, but don't mind the camper at all.  :)

My biggest complaint has to do with the storage of our clothes and shoes.  We use a couple of large duffel bags and usually put them on the bed while we are driving.  When we stop, we have to move them to the front seats.  That's kind of difficult when there are two people in the coach and the bags are each about the size of a child.  I suppose I need to learn to take less clothing, but that's difficult when you need to pack for different weather and don't like to do laundry.  There is some storage under the bed, but not enough for both of these bags.  On top of the clothing, we have a couple of laptops and a large camera bag.  Then you add the dog and her crate, food, clothes, etc.  Sort of loads up a "B" pretty fast.

The other issue is that the only place to sit is a small uncomfortable sofa.  There isn't any way to replace it because the heat unit sits underneath it. 

I complain a lot, then look at the 20-24mpg and try to decide how much comfort is worth. 

We don't full time and may just take extended trips for a while after we retire.  Currently, my husband and I both have full time jobs, so we only get a few weeks a year to really travel long distances.  Most of the time we camp locally on the weekends.  Luckily, the smokies are pretty convenient and Tennessee has some great state parks.

When we set up camp there are several things that would have to be taken down to move the van.  That would be the reason for the tow vehicle in my mind.  When we set up I just prefer to leave the van were it is for several days.
Lot of the van interior designs are no better then a pop up camper.  No storage space.  Ours isn't a commercial vehicle it is a DYI one so we could focus on our personal storage needs.  We have a 30 inch hanging closet and each of us have 3 cubic feet of personal storage.  My wife does NOT like to do laundry while on the road so each have a 3 week supply of clean clothing, so laundry is done only once every three weeks.  A focus on layering of clothes can help on keeping weather specific clothing to a minimum.

Happy trails

Our setup is minimal most times.  We just plug in the electric and occasionally water.  Often, we don't connect the water since we only use it to flush the toilet and possibly clean up dishes.  Once in a while, we will put up the awning or take out the grill, but since we are usually trying to cover as much ground as possible during a vacation, we don't have a lot of time for being leisurely at the campground.

I am hoping that when we retire, we will have more time to just hang out.  The longest we have been able to get away from our jobs is two-three weeks, so we really have to drive to see some of the places on our bucket list. 

The camper actually has a fair amount of storage considering its size.  There are no closets (except the bathroom), but there are overhead cabinets over the bed and couch as well as larger cabinets over the galley.  There is a cabinet under the sink which is perfect for storing the coffee maker and one under the microwave.  I store paper plates and paper towels inside the microwave to keep them from being fodder for mice. 

I know that when we are not on a tight schedule, we will be able to take more time to actually stay at the campgrounds.  That is what has me a little concerned about the size of the camper.  It's quite awesome for "touring"...driving a long ways and having a comfortable place to sleep with food and a potty whenever we want to stop.  But, if we were to spend days sitting around a campground or stuck inside because of rain, etc. it would become quite cramped. 

Still, I can't bring myself to sell it and trade up. 

Well when you get a chance post a few pics of your rig in "action".  That is setting at a campground and being used.  Would love to see some interior shots or how you set up the outside for more space.

This photo is one I took at Jammin' at Hippie Jack's music festival in May.  We only had to travel about 90 minutes, so we didn't have lots of "stuff" to take.  However, it was a four day music festival with no hookups, so we brought two coolers to hold the food and drinks.  :)  I didn't take any interior shots on this trip, but that's probably just as well. 

Can't wait to go back in September to the fall festival. 

Attachments

• our campsite.jpg
    our campsite.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom