Where on the Route are the Dick's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope you can make it this time. If I figure correctly, your average trip, between breakdowns this year is about 1200 miles. Since you only have 900 to go, you should make it OK with about a 25% safety factor--at least.

Replacing the shock is easy. Just two bolts, but you do have to jack up the coach and remove the wheel first.

Hope today and tomorrow are totally uneventful.

Jim,

Thanks for checking. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to fix the problem once we get to Yellowstone.

Chet,

Sounds like we have a good chance of making it. :)

Glenn,

We've been telling the motel manager and the night clerk about many of our adventures and misadventures. We still have more we could tell them. :)

Jim,
Check to see if Sachs makes shocks for your front end suspension.  They might be available sooner than Bilstein or Koni.  My chassis has Sachs shocks (but it's a ZF suspension and Sachs is part of ZF).

We had a very successful day today despite a late start due to Lincoln Truck's computers crashing last night.

We left at 10:35 CT and arrived in Laramie, WY at 6:45 MT. The trip was 498 miles. Now we only have about 417 miles to go so we should arrive at Yellowstone sometime tomorrow afternoon. The coach ran well and the bad shock did not seem to affect the steering or ride. Perhaps the ride felt the same because the shock probably has been bad for some time.  :)

The bill certainly would choke a horse but there's nothing to be done but pay it. The shop was excellent in providing things for us such as power and added maintenance items. They even let me back it out of the bay which I think is unusual for a business due to liability issues.

The motel, America's Best Value Inn, was also very accommodating. We had a great time talking with the day and night managers at breakfast in the morning. It wasn't fancy but there were waffles, cereal, milk, coffee, muffins or danish, and hard boiled eggs. Even bananas to put on your cereal.

When the night manager had a day off he took me to several locations to photograph birds. I never got a good shot but did learn a little about the species in the area. Also had a chance to try his 150-500mm Sigma lens.

We will be very happy to park at Yellowstone and spend a few months without any hassle. Just hope the winter goes well and next summer works out. We will need to work that long to pay off the bills!!!! ;D ;D

Gary,

I'll check them out but Kevin has the Koni on his rig and he loves them. Said it's a much better ride than Bilstein. I almost got them the last time but the Bilsteins were less expensive. Won't do that again.  ;D

Jim Dick said:
I'll check them out but Kevin has the Koni on his rig and he loves them. Said it's a much better ride than Bilstein. I almost got them the last time but the Bilsteins were less expensive. Won't do that again.  ;D

Check with Bilstein, I was told that the Bilsteins (not OEM) are guaranteed for life.

Our Bilstein shocks are guaranteed for life.  We bought them ourselves as if we had let Freightliner buy them they wouldn't have the guarantee.

Jim,

Glad your back on the road. Sorry about the bill, but as you said there's nothing to do but pay. At east you got good service.

I was going to put Koni's on the Windsor, but one downside to out board air bags is that there are two at each wheel position - and two shocks. The price for 8 Koni's was steep (Road King's were even worse). 

Ken

Bernie,

Jo Sam's put ours on in '09.  Mileage on them is about 20,000. I really think they should last longer than that!!! Will have to check with Jo Sam's. They are a big truck repair outfit in Orlando. Cleanest facility I have ever visited!

Ken,

The Koni's for our coach are $172 each from one supplier. We only have four. Yes, we got very good service.

A bad shock should not cause any major ride problems except on potholes and railroad tracks. Usually not to many of those on Interstates! The concern is that the tire can bounce a bit and that leads to cupping (scalloped wear spots) over time.

Talk to Bilstein about  the early failure on the shock. 20k miles is obviously not normal wear, so maybe they will do something for you.

Koni makes a excellent shock, but they ought to for the price! Road Kings are supposedly even better, but you have to sell the motorhome to pay for them. How much better can a shock be once its basic function has been achieved? It's merely a damper.

Jim Dick said:
Jo Sam's put ours on in '09.  Mileage on them is about 20,000. I really think they should last longer than that!!! Will have to check with Jo Sam's.

Jim

One of our Bilsteins broke a mount about 50,000 miles ago. My Spartan shop replaced it and said I now have a lifetime warranty on the new one. The old ones have over 116,000 miles on them and still are good.

Hope your black cloud has drifted off and is sitting over the ocean now.

I had FL change out ours at 100k even though I had no particular complaints. After driving 100 miles I realized how much more stable the Tradewinds was with the new shocks.

Jim:  Good to hear you were on the road.  We should be in North Platte, NE tomorrow night.  I am assuming if we arrive early, the campsite will be available.

Ron

Yes, we finally made it. You know you work for a great organization when you are two weeks late and the District Manager and his wife have dinner ready for you!!! :) :) Thanks Bill & Jolene.

Gary, there may be no railroad tracks on the interstate but I could have sworn I was on one during one stretch of 287/26. Climbing the 9600' pass after Dubois the engine high temp alarm came on. Had to pull over and let it cool down. We were at the 9300' level at the time.

At least we are here and can now relax a little. Sure glad that trip is over!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom