Where to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pointerman

I am on the lookout for a certain year and model of class A motorhome.  I have been looking on rvt.com and rvtrader.com, but no one seems to be selling this model used.  Tons of them new, but no used available.  Are there any other great places to search for used motor homes.

In case anyone wants to sell theirs, I am looking for a used 2014 or 2015 Thor Challenger 37LX.  ;)

When I was shopping for my Safari Trek I searched nationally online for about 5 months before finding the right one.  During this time I used a number of online searches, checking RVT, RVTrader, as well as Craigslist (both directly and through Searchtempest) as well  as lesser online classifieds like Oodle and Bookoo.    I also did google image searches for the specific model for the past 7 days to try to find ones that had been listed at dealerships.    In the end I bought one that was advertised on Craigslist a thousand miles away in Florida. 

Good advise!  It WILL be available somewhere, sometime, if you are patient!  In addition to the sites listed, check E Bay and PPL, a consignment store in Texas.  Also check the web sites of local dealers and regional Thor dealers.

Good Luck!

All of the above, Craigslist and Ebay are always my default picks, and both offered filtered searches for region and keywords of your choosing.

What specifically do you love about the Challenger 37LX?  I bet there are other "sister" models that may be almost identical in design/floorplan/features.  Find that out, and it can widen your search substantially and increases the chances of a match.

muskoka guy said:
If you just do a goggle search for the model and year and add for sale, lots come up all over North America.

This always seems to result in old ads from when dealers were selling them new and when you look at them you find an ad with "SOLD" typed across it.

Isaac-1 said:
When I was shopping for my Safari Trek I searched nationally online for about 5 months before finding the right one.  During this time I used a number of online searches, checking RVT, RVTrader, as well as Craigslist (both directly and through Searchtempest) as well  as lesser online classifieds like Oodle and Bookoo.    I also did google image searches for the specific model for the past 7 days to try to find ones that had been listed at dealerships.    In the end I bought one that was advertised on Craigslist a thousand miles away in Florida.

Thanks for this info.  Will be patient.  I guess the fact that it is hard to find one means no one wants to sell theirs so they must be good.  :)

scottydl said:
All of the above, Craigslist and Ebay are always my default picks, and both offered filtered searches for region and keywords of your choosing.

What specifically do you love about the Challenger 37LX?  I bet there are other "sister" models that may be almost identical in design/floorplan/features.  Find that out, and it can widen your search substantially and increases the chances of a match.

Challenger offers high quality materials that are usually found on diesels.  Residential refer for more space.  2014 Thor and newer all have the drop down bunk over the cockpit area.  37LX has a king size bed, a fireplace and ticks a couple other boxes.  Problem with trying to look broader is that most manufacturers are new to the drop down bunk think so you can't find them older than 2014 (at least that I can find).  Trying to find a model that can get me through the next four years of kids without having wasted space when they go off to college (no bunk house).  Don't want to sell and buy again when they are no longer camping with us.  We really like the Challenger 37YT, but that is a new for 2017 model and I don't want to spend $120k.

Don't forget to get an inspection from a certified inspector. It's worth the money. Also add the fluid analysis. This could be your saving grace. It's the only way to tell if the engine is healthy.

Pointerman said:
Don't want to sell and buy again when they are no longer camping with us.

That's understandable... it might be tough to find that perfect combo, in a quick manner anyway.  But I commend you for your efforts!  The "right" RV for a young couple with no kids (or maybe 1 small kid) can be quite different compared to a family with small kids, which can be quite different compared to a family with older kids, which can be quite different compared to an empty nester couple.  ;)

We found this out with our first RV (a 35' Class A motorhome), which was plenty big for our family of five but didn't have a lot of actual beds.  The kids were younger then and could share the couch, but they are older/bigger now... so our second RV (a 32' bunkhouse travel trailer) works a lot better with the 4 bunks in the rear "kids bedroom"... with mom & dad's separate bedroom at the other end of the rig.  ;)  We do anticipate going back to a Class A motorhome again (or maybe a large fifth wheel and bigger truck) someday when it's back to just my wife and I.  Our oldest son may remain with us, since he has special needs and will not likely live on his own.

I'll mention too that these RV ownership changes have all occurred with very little financial loss, because I research carefully and buy/sell gently used to/from private owners.  That is the avenue of purchase I'd suggest, but it will make it harder to find an exact year/make/model.  If you can split off your options list into "Must Have", "Would Be Nice", and "Can Take or Leave" (or similar), you may be able to cast a wider net.

Don't forget to think outside the box some of the time, I was recently talking to someone locally with a class A that had a unique solution to the older kid sleeping arrangement, they bought a pop up camper and towed it behind the mid size class A.

Isaac-1 said:
Don't forget to think outside the box some of the time, I was recently talking to someone locally with a class A that had a unique solution to the older kid sleeping arrangement, they bought a pop up camper and towed it behind the mid size class A.
I have joked quite a bit that I am just going to buy them a tent and get what I want.    ;)

Pointerman said:
I have joked quite a bit that I am just going to buy them a tent and get what I want.    ;)

I was chatting with a guy some years back, who said his older kids did that for a few years (pitched/slept in a tent next to the motorhome) on the campsite to have their own space.  I thought about the pop-up idea in the past too for larger families, but that obviously would take away the option of towing a car... plus that'd be a lot of setup and tear-down at every site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom