Where to retire???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron said:
It is obvious you need to attend the Moab rally and see southern Utah Smoky.? Think you would change your mind.

Ron,
I have spent time in both states and would vote that Idaho is the most  beautiful,  but to everyone debating this recall, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Ron,
I have spent time in both states and would vote that Idaho is the most? beautiful,? but to everyone debating this recall, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Betty

Betty,

Your are absolutely correct that beauty in in the eyes of the beholder.  I Have spent quite a bit of time in Idaho and in this beholder's eyes Idaho would be several states from the top of the list for beauty.  Utah, Colorado, Montana, Vermont, and Maine would all be above it.

There are beautiful places in every state and there are drab, boring places in every state. Northern Idaho is gorgeous, there are long stretches along I-84 that are dull as dishwater. Colorado has some of the most gorgeous scenery to be found anywhere, but have you ever been in eastern Colorado? Miles and miles of beets, wheat, corn and nothing. The coast of Oregon is incredible as are the Cascades but over toward Ontario and down toward the Nevada-Oregon border, dullsville. The area around Moab is awesome but have you ever driven I-80 between Salt Lake City and the Nevada border? There are beautiful places everywhere you go. Sometimes you have to look a little harder for them but they're still there. There are folks out there who think Death Valley is ugly....can you imagine? Trying to choose "the most beautiful state" is just silly. The best part about being able to travel as many of us do is that we can find the place we think is "the most beautiful," or the cheapest, or the most friendly, conservative, or liberal, and we can then choose to settle there. God, what a country.

The stretch of I-80 from south of St. George to Mesquite is one of the prettiest interstates in the country, the Virgin River Gorge.  Too bad it's not longer.  From Mequite on south is boring.

Ned said:
The stretch of I-80 from south of St. George to Mesquite is one of the prettiest interstates in the country, the Virgin River Gorge.? Too bad it's not longer.? From Mequite on south is boring.

Hope you're not doing the navigating, Ned :) That's I-15 that runs through the Virgin River Gorge, and you're right, it's beautiful, albeit a bit windy most of the time.

Ron:

What part of Idaho have you seen?

Snowbird:

I guess it is all semantics, but in my mind I retired to Arizona.  The ONLY reason I am a resident of MT is a financial reason. 

On your question about Arizona losing revenue, the answer is that people like us will decide not to work part time in Arizona if we have to also declare it as our "official domicile".    I do not know of any other state that requires this.  Most states are happy to get the extra tax revenue from out of state workers, and often have trouble collecting even that.

In our situation Arizona will be out the income tax they could have earned.  Which might be more than the motor vehicle tax they are trying to steal.  Incidentally what is the tax rate for a motorhome and a toad in AZ?  Also does the Arizona Treasury Department (Comptroller) turn over salary earnings data to the DMV?  I know of many people at our park who work in Arizona and have out of state licenses.  I cannot imagine how Arizona enforces this odd law.

I do appreciate the heads up Snowbird.  I am just caught by surprise.  You can be sure I will investigate througoughly now, before we apply for any employment.  Maybe we will do volunteer work instead.  Unless they have a law for that too!  Heheh  ;D ;D

Smoky said:
Ron:

What part of Idaho have you seen?

To be frank Smoky I have probably seen much more of Idaho than you have.  I have flown light airplanes over it many times including search patterns as well as driven North to South and West and East on several different routes.  Why there was a time I even contemplated living in Bonner's Ferry or Sandpoint.  Don't get me wrong in my eyes Idaho is a beautiful state just not on the top of this beholders list.  I have found some beautiful areas in probably every state I have traveled in but each of us have our own impressions of different places.

Smoky, Be very very careful if you ever stop and work in California. They delight in forcing people to convert their vehicle registration to California....NPS employees fought with them for years.

wendycoke said:
Smoky, Be very very careful if you ever stop and work in California. They delight in forcing people to convert their vehicle registration to California....NPS employees fought with them for years.

Yes ma'm they do.  DL and registration.  The only folks off the hook are active duty military and foreign consuls.

Wendy:

I am really astonished at this.  It would be unheard of in the MD-DC-VA area,.  New York-mass-conn-New Jersey.  etc etc on the east coast.  All the time people commute from one bedroom community to work in another state.  It is considered the normal thing to do.

Is this a west coast paranoia thing or something?  I am astonished that people cannot live in one state and work in another.  and what happens in the state where your home is.  Let's assume it is a stick house.  Does that state then waive any rights on you?  It seems really weird that you could have a house and a driver license and registered vehicles on one state, and then have another state that you work in try to force you to change your registration.  On rare occasions I have heard of an "employment" tax.  Wash DC tried that for a few years on Marylanders and Virginians.  I paid a DC employment tax for 2 years while I lived in Maryland.  Then it somehow got thrown out.  I think businesses threatened to pull out of DC, so the DC government backed away.

This is going to be a fascinating thing to investigate when we get to Arizona.  Meanwhile, we are now getting ready to focus on the Oregon beaches.  ;D ;D

Commuting from one state, where you live, to another state, where you work, is a totally different thing. Most people who work in California actually live in California while working there and California figures that if you live and work in their state for a certain amount of time, you're a resident. In Death Valley, we had people who lived in Nevada and drove into Death Valley every day to work. They were fine with Nevada registrations. However, those living and working in Death Valley (California portion) for longer than a certain number of months (can't remember but think it was 6?) were considered California residents and had to get California plates. There was a long battle between the park service and the state and the NPS lost. Hey, it's their state and their laws.

Not months, days.  Ten days

From the California DMV website

If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

Smoky said:
Meanwhile, we are now getting ready to focus on the Oregon beaches.

Smoky,

Don't focus only on beaches. There's lots of beautiful Oregon coastline without beaches.

A few nautical things that might interest you:

• Depoe Bay, north of Newport. It's one of the weirdest harbor entrances, viewable from the road bridge above.
  • Columbia River entrance bar at Astoria - one of the roughest entrances in the world, used to train U.S. Coast Guard and the CG of many other countries.

Smoky,

You're asking questions that I don't have the answers for. I have no disire to work or become an Arizona resident. The day I'm forced to be an AZ resident will be the day a for sale sign goes on the motor home. I checked once and if I remember right the license plates were up in the thousands of dollars and if you purchased it here the sales tax if I remember right was over 8%.

I think you would be surprised at how many states have laws that if you reside and work there you have to become a resident. Some states just enforce it more than others. As Carl said, most of them are a matter of days. Not months.

Others have mentioned California. I'm retired military, I was stationed in Ca for 5 years. When I retired with 20 years service, Ca wanted me to pay Ca income tax on 1/4 of my military retirement. They tried to do this to every retired service person that had ever been stationed in Ca. They also wanted any active service personnel to also pay income tax while they are stationed in the state. It took and act of congress (literally) to get them to back off. If you are active service personnel and are a Ca resident you do have to pay Ca income tax no matter where you're stationed.

Don,

To add to your comments,  If congress had not passed that law, I would be paying income tax on all my retirement including Social Security as all my retirement income was earned in CA.  they are greedy and ...!  I'll let it go there!  VBG

From the Arizona Motor Vehicle Department web site today, 9/4/06:

>>>>>>>>>QUOTE>>>>>>>>>>
State law requires that you obtain a driver license and registration immediately if any one of the following apply.  If you:

* Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work)
    * Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident
    * Have a business with an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state
    * Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident
    * Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona
    * Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence

An "out-of-state student" enrolled with 7 or more semester hours is not considered a resident, even if employed.

Military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act are not considered Arizona residents.
<<<<<<<<END QUOTE<<<<<<<<<<
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp

So, it looks like ANY work gets you residency by operation of law. Gasp. Consult your legal advisor to be sure.

Notice that the URL says "azwelcome"!

I really love Tucson -- Ive been here 4 years. Was in the Phoenix area about 40 years and wouldn't move back -- crowded, hot, smoggy, like a paved over little LA, with packed freeways and nasty politics. But, to each his or her own. When we retire in a couple years and buy our RV of our dreams, if we can, we are unlikely to want to do it in Arizona because of the amazing tax and license situation. Even here, in the Pima County area without City sales tax, I believe it is 7.6%. I don't know about RV license fees, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were many multiples of the $400 or so we pay on a 2005 Prius.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom