Where to Weigh Your RV in US & Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

Hi Guys,

As I type out this posting Pat and I are currently back in the UK following the birth of our first grand daughter Isabelle May and our RV and Jeep are in storage near Toronto Canada, we fly back on the 16th Sept to continue our Canadian / American adventure.

Now during our journey north to Canada we noticed on Highways 10 & 5 shortly after entering a 'new' state a truck weigh station which I believe has something to do with the taxing of the trucks as they pass through that state by their weight.

Is one permitted to get their RV weighed at one of these stations in order to obtain the RV's correct weight and therefore its correct tyre pressure?

No!  The weigh stations along the highways are strictly for commercial vehicles. 

A reliable place to get your RV weighed is at a truck stop, and the network of Flying J Truck stops makes it easy and convenient.  You can get the weight on the front axle and rear axle shown separately.  If you can get to one of the bigger FMCA or manufacturer rallies, there is often a company who will weigh your coach and provide the weight on each wheel, a more accurate way to determine your cargo distribution and tire pressure.

Here is an "off-beat" solution for weighing your RV

Small cities or towns have usually a "land fill" aka. garbage dump station. Every truck that goes there gets weighed.

I called our "dump" and they said: Sure, glad to do it, no charge. Just get in line and get it weighed, even get a computer print-out

FWIW,  carson FL

We weighed ours at a landscape contractor. They weigh their trucks before they leave with a full load.

There are also a number of "CAT" scales around, sometimes adjacent to non-Flying J truck stops. Their web site has a scale locator.

Mick & Pat, congratulations on the new granddaughter. Hope that Isabelle May arrived with a true homeland accent, not an American or Canadian one  ;D

Tom,

Thank you for your congratulation message, as we landed at Manchester airport UK my eldest son and Isabelle's daddy was waiting for us, during the short journey home he received a message saying that his girlfriend Bev had gone into hospital, so he drove to the hospital where he remained whilst I drove the car home with my wife Pat,youngest son and his girlfriend who had flown out to Canada for a two week holiday with us could collect his car and drive to their home, so it was perfect timing.

We have had our coach weighed at 4 different state highway weigh stations. Never had a problem, the personnel were always very helpful and accommodating. One caveat,never pull into one if there is a line of trucks waiting to be weighed. We've always done it when the scales were empty.

Remember, you still won't have a truly accurate weight because the scales (includes the CAT scales and other private scales) assume that the load is even from side to side. Usually true on a truck, very seldom true on a coach; your refrigerator is on one side, your slides may be different side to side, your generator can be on one side, your propane tank, and on and on. It is not uncommon to have a 500-750# difference between wheels on each end of an axle. That has to be taken into consideration, so ultimately you do need to get a 4 corner weight job.

Mick,

You know it's going to be tough for Grandma Pat to leave the little one behind.

If you are in the OR area and not of I-5 there are alot of weight stations that are usually closed however the scales are left on.  Today we were out riding our motorcycles and saw one, needed to rest the old rear end so we pulled in and for fun weighted our bikes.  Right after we pulled in here came a huge rig with a full size vehicle and he weighed then went on.  Just a thought.

A friend of mine pulled up at a Quebec roadside truck weighing station..... he asked if he could get his RV weighed...

they said yes....as the station was empty... they weighted his RV and SUV, then the RV only....  No charge

In Alberta there are unmanned self serve weigh stations, just pull up, read the scale, and drive away.  I've seen them here and there around our province.  The ones on the multi lane freeway's (we only have three of those: theTranscanada, Yellowhead and QEW II) are manned and looks like they are for commercial ones. 

I had our MH weighed at a local moving company.  Drove on their scales, went in, paid them $7, and they gave me a printout of the front & rear weights. 

I was puzzled that the printout was 200 lbs less than the electronic display outside when I drove onto the scale.  Then I realized that it was me getting out of the truck and going inside.  ::)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom