Which 5th Wheel to Buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFM

My wife and I are considering buying a 5th Wheeler after giving consideration to a lot of great feedback from many on the forum. We will be pulling it with a Ford F250 6.2L  V8 gas with a 4.3 axle ratio. Our maximum towing weight is 14,000# with a maximum payload of 3880#. We would greatly appreciate recommendations on 5th wheel manufacturer and brand/model that we could tow.  Thanks!

Nice truck. Youll find that the most popular answer is find a floor plan you like. Im at the same stage as you, looking for a 5th wheel. Theres plenty good ones in that range to pick from. Depends on family size and your wants/needs.

I have an F350 6.2  8)

First, where did you get the numbers?  If it is from the internet or some published source, forget them.  they are wrong!!  My '13 F350 diesel has only 3453# payload.  The diesel adds 800#, but the F250 loses 1500# of GVWR.

If the truck is 2009 or newer, there is a yellow label on the driver door B pillar that states the max carrying capacity for THAT truck as it left the factory.  Use this number to determine max FW capacity.

Add  the weight of all passengers, pets, tools and cargo  to be carried in the truck.  Add 200# for a FW hitch.  Subtract this from the Payload (max carrying capacity) determined above.  This is the maximum pin wt the truck can carry.  Since pin wt averages about 20%, multiply by 5 to get the max FW LOADED FW weight you can tow.

You can use that 14,000# number, but you must subtract the weight of all options in the truck and the weight of all passengers (except 150# for driver), cargo, and even the FW hitch from this weight.

You CAN tow a FW with a F250 gasser, but 14,000# may be a bit optimistic.  Remember, that is the loaded weight, NOT the dry weight the sales staff loves to quote - unless you plan to go camping with an empty camper!

As Outdoor said, (once the weight question is settled), the most important factor is FLOOR PLAN.  It's not what I like, but what will work best for you and your family.  Go shopping with the check book at home.  Sit in as many as your knees will let you get into.  Some floor plans and options will demand your attention, others will scream NO!  You learn this from looking.

Shop and research.  Enjoy the journey and be safe!

You can go with an Andersen hitch and save 150# on the hitch and gain the use of your truck bed back because of the ease of removing the lightweight hitch and gain some needed pin weight relief at the same time. Also be aware to not load your truck down with anything other than people and pets. Your gas truck will have a greater carrying capacity than the equivalent 250 diesel and there are many sub 34 ft campers out there to chose from. Arctic fox makes a great 5th wheel you can  tow to name one. Just keep in mind what your truck can haul and don't let the "you need a DRW" comments make you think you won't be able to find a nice rig you can enjoy owning and hauling with your truck. But, if a bigger, more luxurious camper is what you want you won't be able to tow it.

3880# payload, are you sure? What does the yellow label in the door states.

Yeah 3880# seem like a big number for a 3/4 ton but I can see 3200 or 3300 lbs because mine is 3000 lbs for my 2016 2500 6.4L Hemi with the 4.10 gears.

From another thread, Im not sure if he has purchased it or not. Im thinking its a truck he was looking at to pull a 5th wheel. I could be wrong, though.

I would agree with what has been previously said about weight. Just looking at what you said my first thought was loose about a 1/3 of that weight. That gets you down to an empty weight of 9250lbs. We have had 2 Jayco 5th wheels and have loved them.  Due to weight, I would look at the smaller Jayco Eagles.  That will be a hitch weight of 1900lbs (empty). That is beginning to push it with a F250.

Our first 5th wheel was 25ft, no slides and about 4000lbs empty.  We had a F250 7.0 Power Stroke and it climbed the Rocky Mountains at speed limit when loaded. (6000 lbs.)  Weight on the hitch was a little over 1100lbs.  You have plenty of room to go above these limits but as I said, I would loose 1/3 of the weight that you are thinking at 14000lbs.  You will be overloaded. It is called a 3/4 ton truck for a reason. You can go over it some, but I'd be leary over 2000lbs on the hitch. (Think the extra weight on the rear suspension over time/over the road.

My opinion!

Milt

Back
Top Bottom