Which are the best stealth camping rigs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a week it will be a toxic dump. Soon heading your way now that California is invading Nevada.
I don't have all the answers, but I does occur to me when I see a spot where some homeless guy is homesteading, "is it a homeless code of conduct that you live in a pig sty, just pick up your trash". Or when driving through a less affluent section of town, yes your house isn't maybe in a gated community, but you could still mow your grass and pick up around the place.
Here in Dallas the City Council was a few weeks back holding hearings on converting an abandoned hospital into a homeless shelter. The neighbors are raising H. can't really say as I blame them. Haven't been following it so unsure how it went.

Asking about rigs that would be inconspicuous in a large city is a pretty clear indication that someone wants to camp illegally.
In bike packing, which is the equivalent to overland hiking, only it can mean sticking to paved roadways, "stealth camping" means camping at inconspicuous spots where pitching a tent is ordinarily not permitted. I've always considered stealth camping to mean illegal camping otherwise why the need for stealth? On the Appalachian Trail, stealth camping is pitching a tent or hanging a hammock somewhere other than a designated camping area.

I'm seeing more and more homeless folks camping in State Parks, many of them with kids. They do like Francis McDormand in "Nomadland", only it's not stealth camping, but they do have to regularly move on. Ordinarily every 14 days or so and I assume in some cases even having to book a site in a different State Park system as some won't allow but a certain number of nights in the system during a calender year. There was a senior age man close to us in Oklahoma this week camping in a passenger van at a site with water only. He'd get up early, go to the camp shower, get dressed and drive off for the day. I gathered he was likely working a temp job somewhere close by.
You gotta do what you gotta do.
When I go back to Arkansas in the winter I use several COE parks that are fairly close to my kid's houses. Last winter at one point I was parked next to a family with a couple of small kids in a clapped out Class C (think throw a big tarp over the whole coach when it rained). Over the course of the 3 months we bounced around to the same parks, but not necessarily in the same order.

Back
Top Bottom