Which camper and why? 30Footers approx. lite weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjstudt

I'm looking at these so far.

Keystone passport
Keystone bullet
Palomino Solaire

What makes one manufacturer better or not better?  What do stay away from?  What to make sure I get?

Please help me decide by telling me what is good and or bad about these trailers or other trailers I'm not familier with.

I want a bunk house, I want the bunk house to have 1 slide and a outdoor kitchen on the other side.  I want a living room slide and an island in the indoor kitchen.

A great floor plan for me would be similar to the 318 TSBHK Palomino Solaire. I would like something similar that weights less.  I have a half ton 4X4 F150 with  5.4 V8.

If I can get what I want I could go as small as 26 or 27 foot.  Max length would be approx. 33 feet (box length)

Thanks
Gary

I would be considering a smaller RV or a 3/4 ton pickup for 30 foot or greater RV's. Way too many people attempting to tow long RV's with a small 1/2 ton pickups and I really wouldn't suggest or even advise it. You might be within the weight specs but that little 1/2 truck will be like the tail wagging the dog. I own a 31' foot trailer and both a 1/2 ton truck and a 3/4 ton truck I would never attempt to haul my RV with a 1/2 ton truck.

Thank u for ur comment on the truck size.

I agree with u and a bigger truck would be part of my deal.

Right now I want to do my best at getting a good sound trailer for my purpose.

Please help me understand what are musts and what are the stay away from stuff.

Thanks again
Gary

You will hear this many times, "they are all crap". Not a huge difference between brands, the more expensive ones have more features and better finishes but other than the walls and cabinets nearly everything else is bought from outside suppliers. Those suppliers sell to all the manufacturers so your best bet is to pick a trim level you like and then the floorplan within that line. For instance the Forest River brand has many trim levels with names like "Montana" or "Puma" where the difference is mainly how luxurious the interior is.

Going much past a 27 foot trailer with an F150 is not going to be much fun, even if it looks like it will work on paper. In the real world that 7000# dry weight is 8200# before you have outfitted it with gear and people. And as far as buying an ultra lightweight trailer to get you in the weight range, be carefull what you wish for. Sometimes what they remove to make them lighter is the quality.

Sometimes what they remove to make them lighter is the quality.

Bingo. Also then they shave back water capacity, waste tank size, and carrying capacity of the trailer (weight). This is the way I would suggest you look at your RV experience. First I would find a RV that fits your family. Can you all fit in your beds? Is the bathroom going to work for the adults? Is the kitchen area going be big enough for a hungry family? Now once you find a RV that fits your family that's a quality unit. Then now look at the weight of the trailer and buy a truck that will fit the trailer properly. Thing is lately there is a lot of trucks out there classed to haul some huge number of weight. The problem isn't exactly the weight but the pure length of the trailer. Like I can take my BigTex 70TV trailer load i with firewood close to 7,000 to 7,500 (pushing the limits) and hitch up to the 1/2 truck and pull it without a problem (short trailer). But now take my 31 foot Jayco it tugs on my 3/4 ton truck just enough at times to make me grip the wheel a bit tighter. I would never consider it with my 1/2 ton truck. I know better even though on paper my 1/2 truck would barely make the grade.

This is all friendly advise to hopefully give you a better experience and not a white knuckle experience.

Attachments

• DSCF6300-1.JPG
    DSCF6300-1.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 19
Let me echo what the other guys are saying....with one more caveat.  Watch GROSS weights carefully.....my 30' "ultra-lite" Palomino weighs in at a hefty 7800 lbs gross.  I just bought a 2014 Ram 2500 crew cab with the Cummins diesel, if that tells you anything.  It's long, and it's heavy....I don't care what the decal on the side says.  And when you get up in the high country....with 10,000' elevations and 8-10% grades, you want a beefy truck in charge of things.  I drive brand new 1500 Silverados and F150's on my job daily....I wouldn't even consider hooking one of these up to my Palo.....I don't care what the numbers say.  The suspensions are sloppy for starters.

OK, so you want a 3/4 ton truck doing the pulling.  If you tow mostly on flat lands in low elevations, a gas truck will do the job just fine and save you a ton.  If you tow in the mountains most of the time, a diesel is a no brainer.

As for the trailer, pick one with the floorplan and amenities you like and buy it.  It's that simple. 

Funny side note....

I'm at one of my favorite campgrounds last year....neighbor starts admiring my trailer.  I show him around it....he decides he wants one just like it.....and makes the comment "it's ultra lite, so my Tacoma will pull it just fine".  I told him "don't even think about it....especially up here....this trailer will bring the Tacoma to it's knees."

When I told him what it actually weighs, he was stunned. I told him even a iForce 5.7 Tundra is going to be near its practical limits doing this.  It has a huge slide, an outdoor kitchen with a second fridge, and big water and waste tanks.  My new Cummins manhandles the trailer like nobody's business.....I barely know it's back there, even with a cross wind. 

All good advice so far. That Palomino Solaire you like is 8900 lb GVWR and 35 ft overall (31 foot body). A lot of trailer for a half ton.

Quality wise there isn't a lot of difference in any given price class. Many of the appliances and such will be the same or equivalent. Construction techniques are very similar as well. Less expensive and "ultra-lite' trailers skimp on under-the-covers items to keep price and weight down, so look carefully at things like axle capacities, tire size, frame stiffness, etc. when comparing models in different price ranges. Some the the extra cost is amenities or flashy stuff, but part of it will also be a better grade of cabinetry, upholstery and flooring, better wiring and plumbing, etc. Hard to notice until you've owned it awhile, but there is a difference. Also, some of those extra features are highly desirable, e.g. handy water pump switches, 50A power instead of 30A, larger water tanks, bigger fridge, etc.

Everyone is giving good pointers.

Please keep them coming. I am making a list so I can compare the right stuff so I make a good decision.

Thanks again
Gary

Ok... I'm like FrizieFrak I'm also a Dodge Cummins owner for the sole reason of towing. Exhaust brake, massive torque (831 ft/lbs @ 2,100 RPM), 5 speed trans for hill climbing, and MPG's (mid 20's empty and 11-14 MPG @ 17,000 GCW). Hands down the diesel power plant flat out shines over any gasoline power plant in power, MPG, etc. So diesel powered truck at least a 3/4 ton would be the best option for the mountains of the west.

Now as for the trailer. When I was shopping for my used 2000 Jayco Eagle. I was looking at floor plans but also looking at construction after the floor plan. I needed a strong frame capable of washboarded roads, potholes, etc. I don't plan on rolling on only highway and pavement I take mine out to the wilderness and boondock. So I knew from what the dealer was explaining about Ultra Lites and Lite trailer the frames are weaker and won't put up with that kind of abuse. So looking at my Jayco its a double stack square tube frame which make it heavier but also capable of handling rough forestry roads.  So if you plan on just towing from home to a paved RV park then a ultra lite is fine. But if you plan on rolling 20-40 miles up a forestry road I highly suggest against it.

Fuel Logs for the 2002 Dodge Cummins
http://i58.tinypic.com/i4hg5e.jpg

gjstudt said:
I'm looking at these so far.

Keystone passport
Keystone bullet
Palomino Solaire

What makes one manufacturer better or not better?  What do stay away from?  What to make sure I get?

Please help me decide by telling me what is good and or bad about these trailers or other trailers I'm not familier with.

I want a bunk house, I want the bunk house to have 1 slide and a outdoor kitchen on the other side.  I want a living room slide and an island in the indoor kitchen.

A great floor plan for me would be similar to the 318 TSBHK Palomino Solaire. I would like something similar that weights less.  I have a half ton 4X4 F150 with  5.4 V8.

If I can get what I want I could go as small as 26 or 27 foot.  Max length would be approx. 33 feet (box length)

Thanks
Gary
I would buy a Arctic fox but that being  a trailer with all the slides and stuff you want your F150 aint going to like pulling a rig that heavy

Mopar1973Man said:
So if you plan on just towing from home to a paved RV park then a ultra lite is fine. But if you plan on rolling 20-40 miles up a forestry road I highly suggest against it.

Another excellent point.  What do you plan to do with the trailer?  Weekend trips and short vacations at RV parks and developed campgrounds?  Or do you plan on going off the beaten path and boondocking?  Like Michael said, off roading isn't a great idea with an ultra lite.  We go mostly to developed areas, so our ultra lite is fine....but we've actually debated buying a second RV.....like an older 18' or so rig specifically for beating the snot out of on logging roads etc.  It would fit just about anywhere, and I won't worry about banging it up.  Our 30' won't fit in some of the places we like to go.

I have had ultra lites for the last two trailers I have had.  The previous one, a 2002 Aerostar A30R front bedroom model, would never get my recommendation as the trailer to buy.  On the other hand the replacement for that one, a 2006 Rockwood Signature Edition Ultra Lite 8315SS, has been the UL of choice so far.  Less than 5700 lbs, front kitchen and all the amenities I want in a weekend getaway trailer. I wouldn't suggest taking this out and boondocking, it's not built for that.  We use the Outdoor World and Thousand Trails Campgrounds mostly. I pull it with a 1999 Chevy Suburban 2500, 4WD with the 5.7L Vortec motor.  Old girl does great except in the mountains.
First you need to decide what you want out of your trailer and then what you need to pull that.  Or take the lesser route and find out what you can pull with your present vehicle.  Once you find this is what you want to do, then upgrade the truck and trailer.  Ed 

Back
Top Bottom