Which company makes the best air bags FIRESTONE ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DieselJay

Can any one help me out with air bags. Who makes the best ones, easyest installation, best ride, and about how much?  Thanks

Jay, i replied to u in my other post.... I am running the firestone bags. Super easy to install, and no problems to date.

I also have the Firestones.  No problems, easy (mostly) to install and they just work.  I paid around $250 for mine and installed 'em myself.

i have the firestones also on my chevy silverado,  easy install did it my self i ran the airlines to a T and then ran 1 line to the front of my truck to a shrader valve under the hood i have not installed a compresser yet i have a small portable one that i use i have had no problems and install was easy and strait forward.  i would recommend these, but that's just my 2 cents hope this helps you

Gary Rv, I want to add these to my pickup truck for payload and ride improvement while towing.

X2 on the Firestone air bags. Just remember that they don't add to your carring capacity they just help support the weight your truck was designed to carry from the factory. They did smooth out the ride for both my truck and trailer along with leveling the truck with the trailer attached.

Just a little tongue in cheek here:  Diesel Jays question asked about Air Bags....

I was tempted to answer that question but... had no idea what air bag he was talking about. Front,,Rear..Coil inserts etc. Did not even know what the vehicle was. But I held off and noticed that answers started coming in from other members.
I only have experience with 2 types:  My dear Mother-in-Law was an airbag.  ;D

The other was the coil-assist bags in the front springs on GM chassis front-ends. Yes I have Firestones.

I am glad I did not confuse the issue earlier in this thread.

Carson FL

I will liikley go with Air-LIft bags when I next have money for rig-improvements.

They are Made in Lansing, MI.  I had them in my towed back when it was the tow vehicle and they worked,, shall I say "Better than I expected" so I'll likely stick with the brand I know

They also cost less

I may visit the factory though and let them do the install.

The Firestone airbag brackets are very prone to bending - The Air-Lift airbags do not have that problem and are cheaper!

I have had the Air-Lift 5000 for 3 years and have had no problems with them.  I run about 55lbs of pressure when towing the fiver.  They level the tv and do not blind the oncoming traffic.

Firestone: Easy to install but they need a constant 5-10 psi to avoid being damaged.
We plumbed ours to the Pacbrake air compressor and placed a pressure regulator (McMaster Carr) in the cab.
We can adjust the pressure for the best ride when towing or MT.

Is there anything special that needs to be done when having the tires rotated or any other work that may lift the truck?

DTJ9610 said:
Is there anything special that needs to be done when having the tires rotated or any other work that may lift the truck?

No.  Airbags are on the axles, right next to the springs.  No interaction with the tires.

Depending on the air bags... You "Air down" when lifting the rig, but read the fine manual because the key phrase is "Depending on the air bags"

I'm kind of happy to see the folks commenting on the lower cost Air-Lift, made in Lansing, MI, being better than the more expensive Firestones.

I know I was happy with the Air-Lift on my towed back when it led the parade insted of taking up the rear guard position.

That said.. Once I installed the bags on my towed and aired them up. WE NEVER un-inflated, ever, even when lifting the car on a frame lift. 

Back
Top Bottom