Which GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chillbilly

OK, I'm bringing this subject up again because by now all three units have been released for awhile.  I'm referring to the Garmin 465T, Rand McNally RVND5510, and the Megellon Pro 9165T.  I'm getting ready to purchase one or the other.  Give me your pros and cons for each.  And, PLEASE, limit the discussion to only these three units.  I know there are many other GPS units which you may think are better for one reason or another, but I am considering only one of these three, so I appreciate your limiting your comments to just these three GPS units.  Which should I purchase and why?

I found it very awkward to find and install extra POIs in a Magellan I acquired a month ago. Garmin is the easiest and every source of add-on POIs has Garmin-ready files.  TomTom files too.  I haven't looked into Rand McNally, but as a newcomer to GPS they may not be widely supported yet.

Chillbilly said:
OK, I'm bringing this subject up again because by now all three units have been released for awhile.  I'm referring to the Garmin 465T, Rand McNally RVND5510, and the Megellon Pro 9165T.

I can't speak to the RM or Magellan since I have never handled either, but I have had the 465t since it was first released. It works great, warns me of issues that may affect, or be affected by, the dimensions of my coach, generally routes as good as others (I have the MS Streets & Trips on my computer for comparison), traffic warnings and lane positions for turns works great and, as Gary noted, a very large number of POIs are readily available and easy to install.

I've got the Garmin dezl 560LMT, and it's great -- all the warnings of the 465, plus a larger screen, an RV-specific mode, and a few other enhancements.

I have flown and boated behind a Garmin GPS and have had a Tom Tom and a Magellan in the motorhome......The Tom Tom was a paperweight and the Magellan is OK, the only reason I got the Magellan in the MH is for the 7" screen......The Garmin is and always has been the most intuitive and easiest to use, for me at least.....

The cust support is good with Garmin also...I had to use them once about 4 yrs ago and they were great (got a real person to answer my question)......

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca

I can't get anyone at Magellan to even acknowledge my inquiries about the problems I have with software updates and custom POIs. And I'm using their online "Contact Us" form to submit problems, per their directions.  Terrible customer service!

The original post asked only for comments on 3 specific model, but I would agree with Larry that the Garmin 560LMT should be thrown in the mix since that would be Garmin's comparable to the RM.

We have owned the 465T for about a year now. It has worked ok for us but then again most of our travel is relatively short distances, weekend warrior kind of outings. One complaint we do have is that about 25% of the time the GPS gets into a weird mode and the voice gets messed up to the point where the co-pilot has to cycle power and start again. Let us know what you decide to get.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom