Which one would you choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shakerag Diva

We are currently looking at 4 different class A motorhomes.  This is our first and we are very ignorant to say the least.  I would like comments from past and current owners.  All of these have mileage around 20,000.  They all look to be in great shape.  The prices for all seem to be good (according to bluebook).  Any thoughts? 

2007 Thor Hurricane
2011 Thor Ace
2011 Fleetwood Storm
2011 Coachman Mirada

Our opinions are pretty meaningless. All those RVs were great when they were new. The real question is what shape are they in now. RVs endure a lot of abuse and how well they have been maintained makes all the difference in the world. Pick the one with the floor plan you like the best.

First and foremost. Look at the floor plan, try to imagine being stuck in the rain for a day or 2. Do you have kids, pets? Secondly don't go broke buying it thinking this is THE ONE. It's not going to be. You'll continue to go to RV shows and like those and trade this one in and get more experience as to what works best for your situation. That being said, all the appliances are the same for all 4 of your examples. Look at fit and fish of cabinets, hinges and hardware. Look for water damage and stains inside. Delaminatio  (visible bubbles) on the outside skin. Good luck with your search. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Agree with the others - the main thing is livability for your needs. That and the current condition, which you say appears good.

I always get in trouble for saying this, but I want to advise that all four of those are so-called "entry level" models, designed primarily to achieve the lowest possible selling price. That doesn't mean they are no good, but it does mean that the materials and workmanship are at the bottom end of the quality scale. Probably more suitable for light usage (occasional weekends) than frequent use or seasonal living.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Gary, we just bought a 2002 Bounder in good shape.  We got this to get our experience, knowing we would probably upgrade.  In your opinion, is the Bounder an entry level for light usage or frequent use?  We won't be doing seasonal living yet.  Value your opinion & you won't get in trouble from us!  Thanks. 

prnebs said:
Gary RV Roamer said:
I bought a 2007 Bounder a few months ago.
When I was shopping, I noticed even the "high-end" MH's had crappy workmanship in them.
When I was shopping, it was raining, the "high-end" ones had water leaking in from the ceiling and around the windows.
The Bounder was bone-dry inside and looked as good for build as any of them.

We also looked at alot & noticed the workmanship varied.  we were taking our second look at this one, it started raining for a couple of hours, so we were also able to check out for leaks, none were found!  Thanks for the input. 

A Bounder is probably a step up from the four previously named, but it's still near the bottom of the Fleetwood line.

This is always a gnarly discussion, cause some folks always take offense and think you are calling their rig "crap".  I like to warn newbies if they have selected a bottom tier brand, just so they know they should not expect the very best in materials or workmanship. Most will probably be fine with that, but once in awhile somebody says "Whoa! The salesman told me this is the best there is!". And in a used rig over 6-8 years old, the price difference between the bottom and the mid or top models often isn't that great.

In RVs, the Chevy vs Cadillac differences are often more than just amenities. The lower end models typically cut a lot of corners, usually in areas that are not readily visible. Could be any or all of a bunch of little things, like quality of flooring and upholstery, sound-proofing, or the care with which wiring and plumbing are installed. Smaller tires on the chassis, cheap grade hardware, etc. etc.

Gary RV Roamer said:
A Bounder is probably a step up from the four previously named, but it's still near the bottom of the Fleetwood line.

This is always a gnarly discussion, cause some folks always take offense and think you are calling their rig "crap".  I like to warn newbies if they have selected a bottom tier brand, just so they know they should not expect the very best in materials or workmanship. Most will probably be fine with that, but once in awhile somebody says "Whoa! The salesman told me this is the best there is!". And in a used rig over 6-8 years old, the price difference between the bottom and the mid or top models often isn't that great.

In RVs, the Chevy vs Cadillac differences are often more than just amenities. The lower end models typically cut a lot of corners, usually in areas that are not readily visible. Could be any or all of a bunch of little things, like quality of flooring and upholstery, sound-proofing, or the care with which wiring and plumbing are installed. Smaller tires on the chassis, cheap grade hardware, etc. etc.

I know this to be true. I've seen lots of things in the Bounder that really just needed to be "tidied" up a bit (time) to make it look better. Not sure about the outside bays of bays of the higher priced units, I know the latching system on mine lacks a bit to be desired. But hey, for the HIGH price difference, I can live with the entry-level status.....My Bayliner is entry-level too, but, it'll pull a tube with 3 people on it or 2 skiers at 57 mph. lol

A boat also!! Life is good!  Hubby thought the same about the latching on the bays, we'll have to work with it.  Happy Travels!

We are okay with it being entry level.  We are newbies and want to get the feel of it before deciding if it is for us and possibly upgrading.  We are "RV ignorant" at this point and want to get the best bang for the buck.  We welcome all comments!  Thanks!

Gary RV Roamer said:
Agree with the others - the main thing is livability for your needs. That and the current condition, which you say appears good.

I always get in trouble for saying this, but I want to advise that all four of those are so-called "entry level" models, designed primarily to achieve the lowest possible selling price. That doesn't mean they are no good, but it does mean that the materials and workmanship are at the bottom end of the quality scale. Probably more suitable for light usage (occasional weekends) than frequent use or seasonal living.

Shakerag Diva - sorry to highjack your post!  Good luck in your decision & keep using this forum for info.  Its amazing & we've learned alot.  Happy Travels!

I assume these are gas models?  We don't have the experience of some other posters, but have just gone through the process of getting a gas class A last year and just upgraded to our "best and final".  Could not have picked the latter without the experience from the former.
If that's the case, and you will be upgrading in a year or two, consider cost.  Look at book value of the 2011 vs 2010, (and 2007 vs 2006)  to get a feel for how much the depreciation will be in a year.  And if buying from a dealer, also consider difference between wholesale and retail prices.  Then decide if that is acceptable.  Depreciation on these is like a rock falling in a well--values plummet fast with age.  It could easily cost you $20K or more to upgrade in a couple years.  Tires and batteries are expensive maintenance items.  On 2011, tires are 5 years old if original, and at 7 years, its wise to replace in any event, at a price of perhaps $3K or so. 
To get good experience from the ones you are looking at, condition and layout are the two main factors.  If layout doesn't match your needs, the experience will be bad.  Separate the condition of minor cosmetics from major (leaks, engine, transmission).  Leaks kill the value of a coach in a hurry.  Engine and transmission problems can get expensive in a hurry and breakdowns on the road kill the joy of the experience.
All that said, pick whatever "blows your dress up".  That was the final criteria for us, just like picking a boat:  does your heart sing when you look at it and get into it. 

So as you can see opinions vary....
my $.02 
Floorplan, Floorplan, Floorplan, budget

I have had RVs for about 12 years, started with a 25ft TT quickly moved to a 5th wheel and now have a Class A DP. (about to upgrade)  I got some interesting advice this weekend from a sales person.  "He said if you are going to by an RV go ahead and buy your 3rd RV first." He said "I love the people that upgrade every 2 to 3 years, and I have a nice classic car collection to prove it."

People want to try it out and see if they are going to like it and upgrade later if they do or sell it if they don't.  If you upgrade in a year you are going to lose at least $15K trading any of those coaches in on a bigger or better coach.  If you get out of RVing and sell it out right you might break even but will still likely lose $5k - $10k. It is like planning to fail (lose money)  There is not an RV on the market that goes up in value over time......

So my advice is to look long and hard, think long and hard, ask LOTS of questions.....

Think about how you are going to use it: long trips, short trips, in camp grounds, race tracks, football games?
How often are you going to use it:  Once a month, twice a year?

The longer you take to make the decision the better off you are going to be when you purchase the RV.

Definitely spend the time looking particularly at the floor plans. Our trailer is at the cheaper end and our problems seem to be cosmetic which the dealer will fix until warranty up hopefully. That said we hope that it will be cheap for us to maintain it. We have lived in it for six months and love it.

Whatever you choose good luck and safe travels!

"He said if you are going to by an RV go ahead and buy your 3rd RV first."

Great advice IF you know what that is. Most people switch because even if they spend a huge amount of time and effort hunting a rig, and get lots of advice from forums, etc., they still don't have the experience/feel/knowledge to make that selection, unless luck also intervenes.

This is not to say that it's a waste spending the time and effort to learn before first purchase -- it's not a waste -- just that it may not get you to that "3rd RV" first. Sometimes it may get you to the second one, though.

In other words, don't expect that you'll necessarily get it right the first time, and be prepared for your needs to change over time, as well.

Larry N. said:
Great advice IF you know what that is. Most people switch because even if they spend a huge amount of time and effort hunting a rig, and get lots of advice from forums, etc., they still don't have the experience/feel/knowledge to make that selection, unless luck also intervenes.

This is not to say that it's a waste spending the time and effort to learn before first purchase -- it's not a waste -- just that it may not get you to that "3rd RV" first. Sometimes it may get you to the second one, though.

In other words, don't expect that you'll necessarily get it right the first time, and be prepared for your needs to change over time, as well.

If we had  like button I would have used it....

My message was to spend a lot of time looking and educating yourself, and yes needs will change that is guaranteed. We have had 6 RVs in 15 years, so it is not like I have lived by this advice, and I doubt number 7 that I should pick up next week will be my last one but I am hopeful!    BTW, I had to stop and recount that 3 times cause it does not seem like we changed that much....DAYUM)

Back
Top Bottom