Which Truck for the 5th wheel RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Voltage 3600 5th wheel Toy Hauler RV is rated at about 13500 lbs dry weight.

Do I need a Long bed 8' box to pull this RV? One RV technician told me  in a certain turning situation the front end of the 5th wheel can come in contact with the truck cab and crush it.... OUCH!!!

1. How realistic is this and does this warrant a 8' box or is it better and/or ok to get a 6' box with an automatic slider hitch that pulls away during turns?

2. 2500HD or 3500HD - Many folks have recommended the 3500HD so I am looking for a RAM or Chevy at this time. How about a Ford 450? :)

3. How important is it to get air suspension added to the truck?

Thanks for your responses.

Regards,
Sammy

sammy in extreme and i mean extreme circumstances if you jack knife the trailer yes its is possible to come in contact with the cab with a short box HOWEVER its highly unlikely i have a short box and a Voltage and never come close. with the older trailers they had square front ends and it was common for the cab to hit the trailer , but with todays trailer including the Voltage the corners are concave to eliminate those issues. the other thing people did was put a slider in the truck box allowing you to move the pin back 18 in so you could manouver. In 10 years selling hitches ive sold maybe 1/2 dozen sliders as they really arent used much`.
a 1ton 3500 is the min you need you dont need a dually but they have some stability advantages but some extra tire and width etc disadvantages but they also allow you a larger tow rating
my 3500 single rear wheel short box(6.6) std box pulls my 13000 lb dry Voltage loaded im 15-15500lbs never more and no issues as im rated to pull 17100lbs i did add air bags as the pin is almost 3000lbs and im rated for 4400 total carry weight and the bags while not an absolute need i wouldn`t  tow without them personally and i have them on my both my truck for $1000 its a great set up. it levels out the truck and gives you better braking and handling

the cost between a 2500 and 3500 is about $400 and the cost between a 3500 srw and 3500 dually is about $1000 so if your thinking cost is an issue its not i had an 08 dually great truck pig on gas hated in the winter pain to park but hauled a trailer like nothin was there it was a consideration when i bought my 2013 but i just dont need it. 
cheers

steveblonde said:
ok i have to ask where you got "I hear the GMC is more truck than the Chevy" its the SAME truck diff badge same specs same company same everything but the name and headlights lol

let me guess"ITS PROFESSIONAL GRADE" lol ::)

Since both brands have the same engineering make-up and very similar designs, perhaps the only other differing aspect of the two brands is the dealership. In the United States, GMC is usually sold by dealers in combination with Buick or Pontiac, typically at lower volumes than the equivalent Chevrolet trucks. GMC?s trucks, vans, and SUVs offer more options and standard features than Chevrolet, while Chevrolet is often offered as an entry-level car.

Since 1999, the Chevy Silverado has become the "standard" model GM full-size pickup truck, while the GMC Sierra offers more luxurious interior options (like leather seats and a more intricate dash) along with a boxier trim, particularly in the wheel weels. As far as torque and horsepower are concerned, they feature the same exact capabilities. So then, to answer the initial question, from a purely power-focused perspective, there is no difference between the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado.

Read more: Difference Between GMC and Chevy | Difference Between | GMC vs Chevy http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-gmc-and-chevy/#ixzz3c8x4yI3N

I checked out both before buying....just my opinion?  Maybe.

grassy said:
Bingo...and the big 3 and the Canadian government  have blocked us from buying in the states...add a jake and upgraded brakes to that 3500 dually, and now you are over 100K before the 15% SALES TAX....

My rust free, 129K mile MDT (with it's options) was a bargain. Tows like a dream  and I have my RAM home when I need it...and it is a blast to drive...and I doubt if I will ever reach the 450K mark where I am told, I will need a head job...

You keep saying and add a "Jake"  Jake brake is one brand and not needed if your buying a Ram.  Everything from mid year 2007 on comes factory equipped and standard with a very good exhaust brake.

meternerd said:
Since both brands have the same engineering make-up and very similar designs, perhaps the only other differing aspect of the two brands is the dealership. In the United States, GMC is usually sold by dealers in combination with Buick or Pontiac, typically at lower volumes than the equivalent Chevrolet trucks. GMC?s trucks, vans, and SUVs offer more options and standard features than Chevrolet, while Chevrolet is often offered as an entry-level car.

Since 1999, the Chevy Silverado has become the "standard" model GM full-size pickup truck, while the GMC Sierra offers more luxurious interior options (like leather seats and a more intricate dash) along with a boxier trim, particularly in the wheel weels. As far as torque and horsepower are concerned, they feature the same exact capabilities. So then, to answer the initial question, from a purely power-focused perspective, there is no difference between the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado.

Read more: Difference Between GMC and Chevy | Difference Between | GMC vs Chevy http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-gmc-and-chevy/#ixzz3c8x4yI3N

I checked out both before buying....just my opinion?  Maybe.

they are EXACTLY the same GMC offers the Denali and Chev offers the High Country other than a few body panels and a different light set up there is NO difference this is not 1999 its 2015 someone sold you a bill of goods lol the EXACT same options are avail on both at the EXACT same price gotta love advertising  lol  at least its working.

i loaded LTZ is the same as a loaded SLT a loaded Denali is the sames as a loaded High Country just depends of you want wood trim or brushed aluminum trim

donn said:
You keep saying and add a "Jake"  Jake brake is one brand and not needed if your buying a Ram.  Everything from mid year 2007 on comes factory equipped and standard with a very good exhaust brake.

agreed no JAKE brake needed with a Chev\Gmc either an exhuast brake is std equip- im not sure about the Ford maybe someone else can chime in but i thought they had one too

Not sure if it's changed, however our 2011 F350 6.7 Diesel uses the transmission for descent braking.  On cruise control (while in tow mode) it's all automatic, does not allow over-speed.  In manual (while in tow mode) varying brake time / pressure activates the same transmission control.

After covering  246k miles with my Dodge I've only done one brake job in 185k miles. Exhaust brakes are highly suggested device. As for transmission controlled I rather still keep the exhaust brake. I can bring the truck and RV to a nearly a complete stop on a 7% grade without ever touching the service brakes. Most people here don't keep vehicles this long or for this many miles.  ;)

Mopar1973Man said:
After covering  246k miles with my Dodge I've only done one brake job in 185k miles. Exhaust brakes are highly suggested device. As for transmission controlled I rather still keep the exhaust brake. I can bring the truck and RV to a nearly a complete stop on a 7% grade without ever touching the service brakes. Most people here don't keep vehicles this long or for this many miles.  ;)

i agree

steveblonde said:
agreed no JAKE brake needed with a Chev\Gmc either an exhuast brake is std equip- im not sure about the Ford maybe someone else can chime in but i thought they had one too

Yep Ford does too.  My 2015 walked me down the Rockies heading to Utah without ever touching the brakes.  Came out of the Eisenhower tunnel at about 40-45 and truck held it there all the way down.  Never felt so safe driving down a mountain towing a trailer.

Elkhounds said:
Yep Ford does too.  My 2015 walked me down the Rockies heading to Utah without ever touching the brakes.  Came out of the Eisenhower tunnel at about 40-45 and truck held it there all the way down.  Never felt so safe driving down a mountain towing a trailer.

Cool.  While I hope to not need to replace current truck, nice to hear Ford got on board with that setup.

My 2015 F350 has a exhaust brake that seems to work but I haven't done any trips yet that it was really needed. 

I don't understand why the exhaust brake on both my Chevy 2500HD and Ford F350 defaults to off.  Seems like it would make much more sense to default to on and turn off when not needed.

CWSWine said:
My 2015 F350 has a exhaust brake that seems to work but I haven't done any trips yet that it was really needed. 

I don't understand why the exhaust brake on both my Chevy 2500HD and Ford F350 defaults to off.  Seems like it would make much more sense to default to on and turn off when not needed.

i think because of noise but i agree it would be nice if it stayed on

donn said:

it is in Canada..went back to the specs on a 3500 and didn't see it (http://www.ramtruck.ca/en/2015/3500/spec) ..however, I could be missing it...nor did any of the salesmen understand engine brake..

I use "jake" because I also use "kleenex" "q-tips" and many brand names that have become generic names for items....

CWSWine said:

I would like to see Ford make it one of their settings so that if you have a trailer hooked up you can say with this trailer select tow/haul mode on/off and exhaust brake on/off.  The truck knows the difference between trailers when I plug them in so I would think it could do this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappeeCamper
Back
Top Bottom