Which Used RV to buy, and Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Need help deciding what RV to buy. My current choices are...

1991 Mallard Diesel 34 - Not much known about it except that it has 43k on a 6cyl cummins. The owner has someone else listing it for him and its local. Wont be able to see it for a week because owner has health issues $12k

1995 Georgie Boy Cruse Master 34 - For sale but two hours away. Was going to make the drive to see it but then read that they are on the bottom end of quiality. $10k

1994 Cobra Monterey 30 - 45k miles $10k

1990 Bounder 40 - 20.8k miles and has a lot of bells and whitles $10-11k

1987 Gulf Stream Honey 27 - 30k Miles $7k

1993 Fleetwood Southwind 33L

One of these lucky motorhomes will be used only a couple times a year for camping and the occasoinal long weekend with the wife.

How important are leveling jacks

How much will dealerships usualy come down in price on a used unit?

Thanks
Dan

The Bounder and the Southwind are both very popular models.  The Bounder is a little overpriced according to the price posted in the NADA online guide.  Be sure to use the NADA guide for pricing.  In this economy it's said that 80% of Low Retail is a reasonable price.  If I were you I would start with 70% of Low Retail as my first offer.  If you use the NADA guide, do not select any of the options.

Good luck! 

A Bounder 40" In 1990? That's a lot of motorhome for a 1990 gas chassis, even with a tag axle added.  I'd be a bit leery of that size given the gas chassis technology available in those days.

I'd add the Cruisemaster to the OK list - it was quite a decent coach in that era. It's a step up from Georgie Boys' entry model, so probably nicely equipped too.

When shopping in this age class, condition is everything. Look for indications of good maintenance (e.g. records of fluid changes, repairs, etc).

Leveling jacks are a big convenience, but you can level without them, just like a trailer is leveled (drive up on blocks).

Hard to say how much a dealer will "deal" on price on an older rig. Sort of depends on how he priced it to begin with and what he allowed for it when traded in. If it is priced at the NADA low-average retail level, he doesn't have any "wiggle" room to give up much and still cover his fixed overhead and sales commission, especially if you want him to fix any problems you may identify.  I'd just have the NADA low retail figure in my mind and try to stay at that or under that a bit.  If it is  a nic clean rig with good maintenance, I would not be afraid to pay between low and average retail in that price range.

Remember to check the age of the tires in these old rigs - many, if not most, of them will need all new tires due to aging.

Back
Top Bottom