Who Pooped in My Pot????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheltie

The following is a true - and ongoing - story.

I dropped off my MH to have the Norcold recall that I had done in the middle of nowhere ID this past summer checked out because of the many stories I've read regarding the fires.  It was in the service center for about a week and I went back to pick it up today.  The first bit of bad news was that the bill was $356, most of it for labor.  The tech had done a lot of "work" cleaning the area around the insulation, but two hours worth?  Hmmmmm.  Ok, so this is a dealership that I've gone to for many years, since the day they first opened their doors and I figure they aren't going to overcharge me for something they didn't do.  But, hmmmm. 

So I paid the bill and went to drive off my MH to the storage area, but first I inspected the outside and then went in.  I wanted to close the top vents because it was so cold at night (I'd winterized it first) and then went to check on the vent in the bathroom.  And there it was.  My toilet was full of poop!  Some kind soul had decided to use my WINTERIZED toilet despite the fact that this large dealership has many bathrooms all around their area.  I brought this to the service techs attention and we both went to see the service manager.  He told the tech to have it cleaned and winterized and for me to get it the next day (tomorrow).  So I left to go home.  Needless to say, my wife is FURIOUS!  The more I think about it the angrier I get.  Not only did I have to pay a bundle for a job that shouldn't have been even 1/2 that much but then some a--hole decided to mess up the place.

At this point I'm not sure what, if anything, I should do about the whole matter.  The service manager was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing.  If I was in his shoes, I'd be looking for the guy who messed the place up and fire him - yesterday.  I'm not sure what he will do but I will check tomorrow. 

That would really get to me. If the manager didn't do something big, I think I would have to shame him into doing something by causing a BIG STINK about it in the showroom!!! See how fast he changes his tune when you get loud in front of other customers.

captsteve said:
That would really get to me. If the manager didn't do something big, I think I would have to shame him into doing something by causing a BIG STINK about it in the showroom!!! See how fast he changes his tune when you get loud in front of other customers.

Hopefully it won't come to that but if I am to take any action at all, it will be to post on the various forums I frequent the name and location of the dealership. 

Totally unforgivable! I, too, would make a complaint but further up the chain if it isn't addressed for you other then 'service manager telling tech to clean it up.'

Not making light of your predicament, but this reminds me of a story...
I have a sis-in-law I may be able to rent out to you!  She is a pro at turning service managers into quivering idiots in front of anyone within earshot!  She has gotten all her practice at car dealerships.  But I would bet a weeks pay she would have your service manager on his knees begging forgiveness within 10 minutes!  There is a long standing story  that comes up around the campfire from time to time that is very similar to what happened to you.  Don't let them get away with it.

Wow, a lot of REVENGE talk going on... A one-time story, by one facility, by one employee.
  Sure it is annoying but don't let it wreck your life. It would make a good camp-fire story in the future.

I would be having a serious "Chat" with the manager (or better yet the owners) back at the dealership..  And by the time I was done they would have refuneded the fee they charged multiple times I suspect.

One of the rules is they don't poop in your toilet.

carson said:
Wow, a lot of REVENGE talk going on... A one-time story, by one facility, by one employee.
  Sure it is annoying but don't let it wreck your life. It would make a good camp-fire story in the future.

True...to a point.  But this place of business needs to take some responsibility for the people they employ, or what happens on their lot. 

The $365.00 bill is debatable.  But paid in full according to the OP.  The condition of the MH when ready to pick up was not in the same condition it was brought to the dealership in.  Not to mention we are not talking a greasy fingerprint or some dirt on the kitchen floor!  What was done was over the line and needs to be addressed by the dealer.

My 2 cents.

If you don't get something deducted from the bill, the end result is that you paid for the idiots time to take his dump. 

When's the last time you got paid $100 per hour to poop? ::) ;) :D

Maybe the tech was just testing the toilet to see if it was working right....  customer service. 8)

On the others side of the coin....  s...t ..poop happens.  ;) :)

I'll bet the service manager was nonchalant  ?? .. apologizing at some time.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have a friend who had the same thing happen to him. When it was all said and done he was refunded the work that was done plus the guy who did it was fired right after he cleaned the mess up. I for one would like to know who you took your coach too? I go by word of mouth over anything else.

I'm sure the dealership will deny that any of their staff used the toilet, but that still begs the question of how anybody else got access to it. They are 100% responsible for it while in their care and should have prevented visitor access to it.  Which, of course, is why they are cleaning it up - the service manager did the right thing there. Not sure what more could be expected, though perhaps he could have been more abject in apology. If I were to to pursue it further with the general manager or owner, I would raise the issue of how some unidentified person got into my RV and "had his way with it". Could as easily have stolen something or vandalized in a more permanent fashion.

The $356 bill is another matter entirely, but we don't know what the agreed upon work order was. If the service department was simply directed to check out the fridge and make sure it is ok, that is pretty open-ended. Especially if there was no limit placed on cost or a requirement for an estimate before proceeding. I don't condone what they did - I think you were taken advantage of - but that is caveat emptor for service work.  I've done plenty of RV fridge work on my own and can't imagine what the tech could have done that took two hours.

captsteve said:

I love a good pun. 

At Cummins, they even put a cover over your seat so they don't mess it up.  Your driver seat that is.  I can't imagine them using your other seat. ;)

I had mine broken into supposedly and a bunch of stuff messed up plus they used the toilet.  They did fix the messed up stuff but I noticed the toilet wasn't cleaned.  I just wanted it out of there, the repairs to the breakin was supposedly paid for by their insurance.  It's an old motorhome but I spent thousands on it there to get it up to speed.

I thought I'd put closure to this thread by relating what I did today.

I had a meeting with the Service Advisor and let him know that I was very unhappy (he already had a slight clue about that! ;)) and asked what he had done in the intervening time since we saw each other yesterday.  He told me that he had asked all the employees who might have access to the MH if they knew anything and naturally they didn't.  So naturally this is a crime that will go unsolved.  He did have someone clean the mess and then check and completely dewinterize and then winterize the system.  Since I've leaving for Q in a couple weeks, he wants me to bring it back and then will dewinterize it (again), recheck the system as well as other systems.  I've asked him to assume responsbility for anything I notice that is out of kilter (that has been ok up to this point) and he said that he would.  So I really can't ask him to do any more.  This is a dealership that I've been very happy with in the past and I've decided not to allow one mistake to change my opinion of them.  I will be more observant in the future and not nearly as understanding as I have been this time should something like this reoccur, but the issue is now over as far as I'm concerned.

I make it a point never to leave my RV with an RV repair shop. If I can't stay in the vehicle while they are working on it then I am not going to take my vehicle there. I am a full timer with three cats and I don't want to run the risk of having some repairman letting one of my cats out.

SeilerBird said:
I make it a point never to leave my RV with an RV repair shop. If I can't stay in the vehicle while they are working on it then I am not going to take my vehicle there. I am a full timer with three cats and I don't want to run the risk of having some repairman letting one of my cats out.

I understand why you feel that way.  We never go anywhere in the MH without the dogs.  As a matter of fact, if there is somewhere we would like to go but the dogs can't (for whatever reason), we simply don't go.  However, our situation is different from yours in that we have a sticks and bricks and are only on the road only four months a year.  As a result, when repairs are necessary, they are done when we are home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hassoalbert
Back
Top Bottom