WHO Races across country and back in 30 days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bojangles

WHO Races across country and back in 30 days?

I pull a small trailer with big P/U across country (Hamburg, pa. to Portland Or.) on average once a year. Being alone (wife unwilling to RV), the longest I stay at one spot would be four days "with daughter in Portland?. A day or two at one spot is otherwise normal.
Gallup, NM., Grand canyon, Flagstaff, AR., Ely, NV., Yosemite Nat's park, San Francisco, up US#1 to Portland is typical route West.

Well..., it's getting time to take another trip, and understanding the "uniqueness" of a trip like this...., asking if others are inclined to race?

Why do I race?? The only thing that comes to mind is:
I enjoy the driving? stopping every two hours or so, watching the people rushing along in their busy lives at truck stops, knowing that I can do what ever I like?,
rest in comfort of trailer,
access the internet to see the news, communicate with home,
walk for exercise,

I can not get to Mid West fast enough in the beginning of trip, generally spending time in Salina, Kansas, where I spent 9 months while in USAF in 1958-59.
And I have stopped (twice) in Mullinsville, Ks., along Rt 400, just north of Rt #54, to talk to a man who is different. One just has to look at the creations he fabricated and has for sale along the road to understand this? he is interesting. Just looked it up and it?s been almost 5 yrs and hope he is still alive. See pic?.

And stopping along Rt #40 near Gallop, NM., high on a bluff to watch the trains as they move across our country. I will MARK (record) the stop location this time.

These are the things that give me pleasure and I can not wait.

See ya on down the road!

Attachments

• Mullinsville Rt #400.JPG
    Mullinsville Rt #400.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Mullinville-7 _sized.JPG
    Mullinville-7 _sized.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 55
I did the "round the country" trip in 24 days in 1995.  Got a brand new 31' Dutchman C on Ford 460.  I had limited vacation time and wanted to take my 2 daughters on a "grand tour" before they left home.  My parents had done this when I was 15 (tenting), I did it again after grad high school with a friend (tenting) and I wanted to give my kids the same experience.  From Lancaster, PA, first stop was a show at Branson, MO (pulled into the theater lot just before the curtains went up).  From there, headed west.  Kansas, Colorado, Vegas, Carlsbad, then up the Cal coast (crisscrossing E-W for redwoods, etc - I found out there are MOUNTAIN ranges between the coast and center of that state!) up through Oregon, Yellowstone, then back home through the Dakotas, Mt. Rushmore.  Something like that.  We saw the whole wastern half of the country though the windows of our RV!  ;)

In 2004(?), I did a similar thing in Europe.  Rental car through most of the western European countries in less than 2 weeks.

I really need to slow down......

Hopefully, will retire soon and take the leisurley approach.  Now that I have a 6MPG Class A, I don't think I could afford the gas to do it this way again!

Gordon

Don't sound much like racing to me, more like a leisurely drive. We went from Georgia to Yellowstone, took us about 45 days. We don't like to arrive in a campground totally exhausted.

Oops, just realized you said and back. wow

We raced across the country once, in 2007. Left Perris, CA and headed to St Mary's GA, for an RV Forum rally and had just 10 days to do it, with two all-but-mandatory stops to visit close friends along the way. Vowed "never again" because (for us) it took all the fun out of it. We now figure a minimum of 2 weeks to cross one way and prefer 3-4 weeks for a relaxing trip.

I think I might do it a bit faster if traveling alone, though. One person can decide to "git going" quickly and be more flexible about stops. Plus the driver is always busy and time passes quickly.

We race from WI to Rocky Mtns in winter for snowmobiling.....does that count? haha 23 hrs straight through to Cooke City Montana or to Island Park Idaho. Not RVing, but pulling a 30ft enclosed trailer.

In 2005 we went from San Diego to Washington  DC and back in 33 days. We took our kids to DC instead of the typical 8th grade dc trip. We felt we could do it better and we did. We spent a week in DC, 3 days at Gettysburg, 5 days in Colorado visiting family and various 2 nights stays. There where a couple of big driving days, but for the most part it was relaxing as we found something fun for the kids to do everyday. Both are out of the house married and in college and they still bring this trip up in conversations.

Years back I drove straight through from LA to Jefferson City, MO in 28 hours. Stopped for gas and to eat. IIRC that would have been in 1989. I move a little slower these days.  :p

Rick

Gordon Groff:
Yes, I  can see (your experiences as stated) you know and understand the rush....

Gary:
By one's self, the decision to move is uncomplicated. my Nancy as with your Nancy would not be happy.

SRT20:
I'd say it counts...., sitting that long makes the stops enjoyable and refreshing.  That experience is the same and counts.

Sounds like all who have responded know the excitement and rush.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom