Why an RV-specific GPS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
There is an interesting article in RV Business magazine by the folks at Rand McNally. It offers their perspective on why the world needs a GPS nav system specifically tuned for RV usage. The points seem sound, but remember they are trying to convince the marketplace that there really is a need for RM's line of RV-specific GPS devices.

Read it for yourself - it's fairly brief.

Why An RV GPS?

And you can view the two RV GPS models here:

http://rand.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/25719/Rand-McNally-GPS-Navigation.html?cid=42015&chid=1&gclid=CK2l08qDqK0CFRBb7AodPR6vng

I can think of two reasons for making an RV specific GPS device.

1: RVers have special needs, (The article addressed this) like campgrounds and no propane allowed etc.

2: IT WILL SELL AND CAUSE THE MANUFACTURER TO EARN PROFIT.

This last is doubly so because they can take an existing device and just pop in different software, no need to re-engineer a new unit.

Rand-McNally's been setting up at rallies, pushing their RV GPS. I'm not convinced yet that I need another / new GPS.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica State Beach

We have a Garmin 465T which is supposed to be a "trucker" GPS.  It has served us well but occasionally there have been some annoyances because there is no way to tell it that our RV is not subject to commercial truck restrictions.  For example, it was somewhat perplexed how to route us to a CG near West Chester PA because the CG was on a road that was, itself, truck-restricted.  Another time, it got "furious" at me for driving down a road that I knew would be a great way to get to the interstate, except that it was subject to a "no thru trucks over 5T" restriction (in that case we weren't even getting route guidance, it was just displaying where we were).  For those reasons it would be nice to have an RV-specific GPS, but otherwise the trucker one works fine.  Sometimes the truck-approved route is a bit longer than necessary, but at least it does keep us out of trouble from low bridges, weight limits, etc.

IMHO it is a beautiful marketing gimmick, but nothing more than a gimmick. I have used a low end Garmin and have no desire for anything more.  I can't remember an overpass on any state or federal hwy under 13', any tunnel where propane was not allowed or any road with a weight restriction where my MH would not qualify. I am sure there are exceptions, but a little pre planning will eliminate the need for a high dollar GPS 

As my father would say "purdnear, but not plum".

I purchased the 7710 and found the features and databases very good. Unfortunately, under normal sunny day conditions the screen was unreadable.

RM really did not test this product properly before putting it into service. Backlight luminance is not sufficient for the map color scheme and poor anti-reflective coating. The result is a greyed out screen in reflected ambient light on sunny days, and a washed out marginally readable display on cloudy days. It works fine in the house and at night, though, but that is not my intended use.

I returned my unit and will wait until these issues are resolved. If they are I will certainly try it again. It is sad to see a company come so close by getting the features right, and then blow it through poor engineering management and putting a marginal product on the street.

I can't remember an overpass on any state or federal hwy under 13', any tunnel where propane was not allowed or any road with a weight restriction where my MH would not qualify.

You've led a sheltered life.  :p Or perhaps you stick mostly to interstates.

But I agree, it is not an everyday occurrence. We have traveled extensively in the US and Canada for over 15 years and have only encountered low bridges and restricted routes about 10 times. Of course, once we encounter one, we know enough not to go back that way again.  8)

I might pay extra if I thought it had a really complete campground POI database.  I've had to supplement the POIs in every GPS we've ever owned, and that's a bunch (I have four right now, two Garmins, a TomTom and a Magellan). I also add the Walmart & Kmart POIs and several of our favorite restaurant chains, since none of the GPS makers seem to keep them up to date for 100% complete (TomTom is best at that).

Gary RV Roamer said:
You've led a sheltered life.  :p Or perhaps you stick mostly to interstates.

I would say neither.  In the past 8 years we have covered 60K miles in 45 states and 2 prov.  I do not rely only on my GPS. I use Delorme Street Atlas and MS Street & Trip for planning.Also use Rand Mcnally atlas and try to collect an official map from each state we enter(Just a hobby).One other point, I just updated my Garmin and find the current map to be at least 3 years out of date ,at least on streets and secondary roads.

Edit: Fix quote

Low bridges are common enough in the east, especially the northeast and minor roads in the Appalachian and Allegheny mtns. US 20 in NY has at least two that I can recall; NY and CT have some lovely parkways where no RVs are allowed; and bridges with 10-18 ton limits are not unusual on secondary roads.

I just ordered the 7710 from Camping World online.  Cost was $40.00 less through them with lifetime maps free as long as it was ordered before 12/31.  Ratings had RM in front of Magellan.  I will let you know the results when it gets here.  In Chattanooga alone there are 4 low bridges within a 20 mile radius that are under 12'.

This thread is very topical for me. When I purchased my Winnebago ERA it came  factory installed with a ?INFOTAINMENT? Centre. It included the XSG2 Navigation Software provided by XsiteSolutions.

I suppose to be generous I could say that the navigation system is not up to the standards that I was accustomed to in my 2011 Sienna. For that matter, I am not overly pleased with the whole system. That is another story for another time.

I did contact River Park ? the company that apparently provides the ?INFOTAINMENT? centre to Winnebago and the representative did contact me about my concerns. He indicated that he would send me updated maps and POI?s. He also suggested that they were coming out with a newer system that I might be interested in ? I?m still waiting.

In any event ? I just came across the Rand McNally RVND 7710 GPS. It looks interesting to me. I want to see one in person and check it out.

Like other posters in this thread I too like to have paper maps as well. It helps to make my trips more spontaneous and not having to rely on the limitations of GPS maps.

?sundance3200? ? any review of the 7710 yet??  Just curious.

I got the RM 7710 last week and set it up to specs.  Then went hunting for low bridges etc.  I didn't find low bridges but it did tell me where construction was.  Screen is clear and big (7")  You can turn off sound and lower the volume.  I am happy with it so far.  I have input our trip home already and like that I can put it in and save it for the future.  I was able to put in individual day trips ans I like the ease of that.  I also like being able to input Lat. and Long instead of addresses.  I loaded the Trailer Life and Good Sam sites and they work great.  You can put in your requirements, amount of propane on board whether you want to use toll roads, etc.  It will even figure out home much it costs per mile when you tell it your fuel costs.  We are going to the Rio Grande Valley next week to see some friends and I am anxious to use it then.  I did order the Hard case for it from RM.

Thanks sundance3200 ...

Interestingly, I just got an email from the local rep. for my INFOTAINMENT system that has the built in GPS. He is coming to my place on Wednesday to update my maps and POI and run me through the system. Although it has some nice features there are many that it doesn't have that were on my Sienna. Many that the RM 7710 does seem to have ... according to the web site anyway.

Before I head on on my big trip next spring I will probably want to get one as either a primary or certainly as a backup GPS.

Thanks for your review. Perhaps you can add more thoughts when you return from your trip. The hard case sounds like a good idea.

Regards

Karsty

I was having a problem with sun glare and not being able to see the screen with the sun out, first ordered the glare screen cover, helped some but not enough, then ordered a bonnet or shade for the top and that helped a lot more.  Still not the best screen when traveling in sunshine.  GPS worked great but still not completely satisfied.  I wonder what the screen on the 5510 which is 2 inches smaller looks like and is it better.  DW sat it on the console and it was fine.  She watches it more than me.  Hope this helps.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Low bridges are common enough in the east, especially the northeast and minor roads in the Appalachian and Allegheny mtns. US 20 in NY has at least two that I can recall; NY and CT have some lovely parkways where no RVs are allowed; and bridges with 10-18 ton limits are not unusual on secondary roads.

This is the primary reason I was concerned when I got my first TT. I saw all the videos about hitting low overpasses in small towns that don't team to comply with the national hwy 13'6" height requirements. I researched my butt off until I found an add-on software for Tom-Tom and Garmins. $14.99 and it gives me peace of mind. You can set it to alert you to any specific height that applies to your Rig. It worked great and saved us once. I think it boasts over 5000 low clearance alerts across the US. Check out my "Disaster Averted" post. I am happy. Check it out.

http://www.lowclearances.com/amember/go.php?r=1827&i=l0">LowClearances.com</a>

RusLwt001 said:
http://www.lowclearances.com/amember/go.php?r=1827&i=l0">LowClearances.com</a>

This link is handy. have to get it. Small price to pay for peace of mind. I hate to back up and create traffic jams.

I have the 7710 and like it. I wish the screen was more visible  in sun light and I wish their database contained campgrounds other than Woodalls. Speedlimit warnings, sharp turn warnings and narrow bridge warnings are very helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom