Why buy a truck camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a recent camping trip to a popular state park in Virginia, we pulled to our campsite in our truck camper and backed right in.  Two minutes later, we were fully setup and ready for a weekend of hiking.  Our friends with the large fifth wheel had arrived a half an hour before us and were still trying to back their camper into what I would consider a generous-sized camp spot.  After another 15 minutes they got it in, but not after tying up traffic on that camping loop for the entire time.

With our truck camper, we don't need a pull through, in fact I've even parallel parked my beast in front of a restaurant  on a busy street!

Another benefit is stealthiness, we can boondock practically anywhere.

With 4WD, I can get to places you'd never go in a regular camper.

I go camping because I enjoy the outdoors.  Having a small camper provides the luxuries I like to make camping comfortable, but not overly comfortable that it keeps me in from the outdoors.

Greg, I would say your friends need a lot more practice.  Most 5ers can pretty much just stick it right in, and into places I looked at and marveled.  However, I agree with you about the TC, we had them and loved them, and if there was a way we could have kept our truck and camper when we bought the motorhome we would have, but too heavy to tow, and wife not interested in driving behind.  So, now we have best of both, a motorhome to travel in, and we can set a base camp, plus our toad is a VW Westy we can get into places even smaller than you can go to. 

Al that being said, I still wouldn't mind getting another P/U and slide in. 

Our last one was the ultimate for us, an Alpenlite with a dry bath and gen!  Plus two big solar panels, on a 350 4wd diesel. 

I will never get rid of my 2003 Ford F550 4x4 (68,000 miles) and 2003 Lance 1120 Cab-over Camper. I can set up anywhere in this rig. I've taken 13% grades up and down towing my 1974 Jeep CJ5 without any troubles and/or nervousness whatsoever. I've been miles out into the outback boon docking for a 2 weeks at a time...tank levels dictate my time in the bush. I keep both the camper and truck inside my shop so they will last a good long time. I might trade my Class A for a Class C here in the near future, but I'll keep my truck and camper for the duration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom