Why do guys do that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never wor a hat until I moved to the southwest at Holbrook AZ on the painted desert. Amazing how bright the sun was compared to N Ind!

I love my straws and my 2nd Tilley --this one has the big brim. Straws don't do well during rainy season here.

Some local establishments keep a large pair of scissors behind the bar specifically for the guy who walks in wearing a tie.

One local establishment (prior to new management) used to have lots of ladies' underwear pinned to the ceiling. I didn't witness any of them going up, so I can only imagine why and how.

Go Gators!!!!!

Oooops, almost forgot.  Don't forget to take your Western Kentucky hats offffff in homage!!!!!! or is that homogenized.  Can you say that anymore?

John In Detroit said:
when the national anthem plays, you stand, face the flag, remove your hat, holding it in your right hand and placing said hand over the "Heart"
Absolutely.

When you enter church you remove your hat
Unless you are a Jewish male in which case you put one on if you weren't already wearing it.  I think the Muslims have different rules as well but not really up on their customs.

When entering a building you remove your hat.
Optional for most buildings these days.

If you read the Military uniform manual.. It more or less describes when you are supposed to remove/wear a hat
From memory, it was more of a 'thou shalt' and 'thou shalt not' rather than "supposed to".

==From memory, it was more of a 'thou shalt' and 'thou shalt not' rather than "supposed to".==

Depends.. If you are IN the military it is "Thou Shalt" and "Thou Shalt Not"

if you are civilian, as I am, it is "Supposed to" but the rules are basically the same.. The difference is if I ignore them folks may or may not get upset with me

If Private Newt ignores them.... KP (or worse)

One of the more interesting things about the US military is the original "General Order 1" given not to the current army but to George Washington's army during the revolution.

If you need to track it down a group called the Future Farmers of America keeps a copy of it handy.

You mean the 'no cussin' order that he rescinded less than a month later?

My high school had a very active FFA chapter (and during duck season, the local churches had a pre-dawn Sunday service where it was accepted for us to attend wearing olive drab clothing and hip boots).  I think I was raised what can only be classed as a country boy.

I can remember growing up my dad would not allow hats at the table!!  At a resturant I dont know. 

Wear their ball caps in a indoors while eating or in a bar?

Rhonda, I take my hat off for one thing , and one thing only!

And since I got married I do not take it off all that often anymore. :D

Rhonda,

My wife would be very upset if I kept my hat on during a meal. One of our grandsons has been cautioned by her to remove his hat when eating. He asked me last summer why I wear a hat into a restaurant if I don't keep it on to eat!! ;D When I was in the Navy we had to remove our "cover" when entering a building and put it on when leaving. I don't always do that now but I always remove it when eating.

It's true restaurants today do not provide a place to hang your hat but if I'm in one where there's no room to put it on the table or bench I just clip it to my belt. Problem solved.

I was also taught to remove my hat when entering a building and when eating.  Now I have been known to leave the hat on when eating.  Time has changed and now I go with the flow.  If we are eating in an establishment where serveral others are wearing their hat so be it.

However I was also taught that it was none of my business what other folks do and to just make sure I do what is right and that it was also not considered polite to be worry about how the other guy behaved. ;D 

How about changing the sign: "No shoes,no shirt, no service" to

"No shoes, not shirt, hat, no service" :)

Photographer: turn hat away from viewfinder. Maybe forget to replace it because very engrossed in the scene. Why does anyone really care, anyway? Life is too short and too many other matters are needful of attention.

Rhonda,
Since this topic hasn't died in almost a year, let me pose my own question: Why do many women wear sunglasses on the top of their heads? Inside/outside; day or night; it doesn't matter. Do some women have a second set of eyes we mere males know nothing about? (We already know about the ones in the back of their heads) :D

Rhonda 2 said:
wow- I must have touched a nerve. You guys are really hung up with your hats- and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't mean to suggest ignorance of manners- obviously you all know that you are flaunting proper manners and you do it anyway. So I guess that answers my question.

Now, lets talk about elbows on the table......

R
Here we go again.  As for the hat, I too, remove or wear depending on the establishment.  Was taught to remove upon entering a home, church, etc.  Being retired Army, it was protocol to remove head gear when entering ANY building.  The problem with the now defunct "flying saucer" dress hat was where to put it.  We were taught to carry it stuffed under our arm.  Try that while going through the "mess" line (excuse me, they're now called Dining Facilities)

Elbows on the table.  My Mom taught me to keep them off.  Still annoys me when others do that, but I don't let it get to me. 

Here's another one to contemplate:  How about teens expecting you"to move from their path in a mall or where ever?  I have at times run right in to them and remarked "Excuse you very little".

One more:  Chewing with your mouth open, LOUDLY.  Probably my most pet peeve while dining. 

A short story.  When I took my now DW to visit my family in New York State, we went to dinner with my sister and husband.  Upon completion of dinner, he removed his upper denture, licked it off and re-inserted it.  This is a crowded to capacity restuarant.  I was glad no one else knew me there.

Since I'm getting thin on top and need a hat to keep from getting sunburnt (and to limit my whacking my head in things), my solution has been to leave the hat in the car, as there's just nowhere to put it when taken off inside. People will steal nice hats if left somewhere like a hat rack in a public place (a poor reflection on our society). It's not so bad in winter, because you can keep your hat with your coat, but in summer, it's a problem.

I have never been a wearer of hats, but it's funny that just last week, I was saying to DW that now that we are RVer's, I'm probably going to need to buy a hat and grow some facial hair.  :'( Just kidding guys.

billbrit said:
I have never been a wearer of hats, but it's funny that just last week, I was saying to DW that now that we are RVer's, I'm probably going to need to buy a hat and grow some facial hair.  :'( Just kidding guys.

At least you didn't tell DW she had to buy a hat and grow some facial hair.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom