Why do many people unhook their travel trailer when camping/boondocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond G Ranch

I have been camping for a few years with my f350  and 22' off grid camper- I boondock and always am places where there is plenty of room and no rules....but notice that many people unhook their truck and pull away from their TT and I am not sure why.....I have asked people why this is and aside from the obvious, "Of getting the trailer level" nobody really has a definitive answer....my truck and trailer is completely level when hitched up, I have bubble levels everywhere....and I have been fortunate enough to always find a level spot- I do make sure that I unplug my trailer from the truck so I am sure there will be no drain on my truck batteries(I have solar panels on my TT).....so are there any factors that I am not considering??....seems like more work than necessary if you are boondocking in a spot where you are level-
Thanks!

Rene T said:
I guess the only reason I use to do it was to be able to use my tow vehicle at a moments notice.

Humpf.....yes, I did consider that.....and the mystery continues- thanks for the reply!

I often overnight with my trailer connected to my truck.  I call it "motorhome mode" because the driver's seat can't move unless the house goes with it.

In other words, the primary reason to unhitch is being able to use the truck without dragging the trailer along with it.

Lou Schneider said:
I often overnight with my trailer connected to my truck.  I call it "motorhome mode" because the driver's seat can't move without taking the house with it.

LOL...yea....VERY FUNNY!!

Lou Schneider said:
I often overnight with my trailer connected to my truck.  I call it "motorhome mode" because the driver's seat can't move without taking the house with it.

In other words, the primary reason to unhitch is being able to use the truck without dragging the trailer along with it.

When I finally get to my camping destination in the trees, my butt is happily planted in the forest for the duration and the truck doesn't start again until it is time to leave.....I need to remember not everyone has the same philosophy....

diamond G Ranch said:
I have been camping for a few years ....and I have been fortunate enough to always find a level spot-

Gotta call you "Lucky"  ;D

The spot I last parked was off about one board or two of being level but I called it close enough.

I unhook my TV when the trailer's fore and aft are not level so the coupler height is either higher or lower than the TV's ball receiver.

Seon said:
Gotta call you "Lucky"  ;D

The spot I last parked was off about one board or two of being level but I called it close enough.

I unhook my TV when the trailer's fore and aft are not level so the coupler height is either higher or lower than the TV's ball receiver.

Yes, when it is a question of making yourself level, I completely understand...I camp in the national forests in Northern AZ or in the southern AZ desert in winter and so far I have always been able to get myself within a 1/2 bubble as far as being level....thats my mission...finding a level spot....so far it worked for me!!

We might leave a rig in the same boondock spot for a week or more, but we never stay in that same spot that long. We like to explore. We might go sightseeing, museums, local specialty dining, or a farmers market. Our RV is a mobile hotel room, not an end to itself.

Rene T said:
I guess the only reason I use to do it was to be able to use my tow vehicle at a moments notice.

When I pulled a trailer I almost never over-nighted. so I unhooked because if I wanted to see the area sights or go to store for a loaf of bread... Needed tow vehicle.

UTTransplant said:
We might leave a rig in the same boondock spot for a week or more, but we never stay in that same spot that long. We like to explore. We might go sightseeing, museums, local specialty dining, or a farmers market. Our RV is a mobile hotel room, not an end to itself.

Thanks everyone for your input....I am still a working stiff...but fortunately just 3 days a week....so long weekends at a time is all I can camp for right now....so I am never anywhere long enough that I feel compelled to start up the truck and go somewhere....so when I get somewhere I camp with friends, hike with the dogs....and do a bunch of nuthin'....and don't start the truck till it's time to go home!

diamond G Ranch said:
Thanks everyone for your input....I am still a working stiff...but fortunately just 3 days a week....so long weekends at a time is all I can camp for right now....so I am never anywhere long enough that I feel compelled to start up the truck and go somewhere....so when I get somewhere I camp with friends, hike with the dogs....and do a bunch of nuthin'....and don't start the truck till it's time to go home!

That's why it's good that we all have choices about how we camp. Some of us like to get out and explore the area around our campsite, and some like to park and plant roots. Nothing wrong with either way, just different philosophies.

NY Dutch said it right, do what is easiest and best for you.  I always unhook, I tend to park my truck a bit to the side of the camper for trips etc.  Another reason is, my tailgate does not clear my tongue jack on the trailer, and I keep supplies in my truck bed that I want easy access too.

For me, I unhook my FW to level the camper front to back.  The second reason is to use the truck for local transportation.  That is what I do.  As others have said, you should do what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom