Why is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getinaway

Why is it that the 60s hippy potheads on the forum can voice their opinions all they want but the first post that calls them out and the admin and moderating staff labels it "political" and locks the thread?
Interesting how certain groups always calling for "acceptance" of certain activities and speech only want "acceptance" of what they agree with.

Getinaway said:
Why is it that the 60s hippy potheads on the forum can voice their opinions all they want but the first post that calls them out and the admin and moderating staff labels it "political" and locks the thread?
Interesting how certain groups always calling for "acceptance" of certain activities and speech only want "acceptance" of what they agree with.

Isn't it fortunate that there are so many other forums on the internet to be a part of if you don't like this one?  Since I've been a member of this one for nearly 20 years, I guess you might say I like the way this staff runs this one.
Margi

Getinaway said:
Why is it that the 60s hippy potheads
I was born in the late 40's and grew up in the sixties. I take offense being called a pothead. Served my country in Viet Nam. Had all the opportunities in the world to try it. Never tried and  never wanted to. I agree with Margi, if you don't like some of the responses on this forum, go someplace else!!!

Why is it that ... the admin and moderating staff labels it "political" and locks the thread

Try reading our forum Rules that we all agreed to when we registered for an account here. All will be explained  ;)

I've only been on this forum for a couple of years, and when reading these posts I sometimes wonder when they will get locked.  I have to agree with the administrators on every lock down.  I even wonder why they don't lock some of them sooner.  I think we can have our own opinion and express them without some of the name calling  and politics that does happen.  If up to me I would have locked some of them sooner.

Keep up the good work administration!

Please gentlemen, let's have some cooler heads prevail here. I too was a child of the 60's, but do not resemble a flower child of that era.  However, neither do I take personal offense at being characterized as a pot head since it does not apply to me.  However, what I do find offensive is for some members of this forum to suggest that he find another place to post. He should be free to post and ask a rhetorical question.  To direct him to find another forum just reinforces the notion that members of this forum have a "my way or the highway" mentality.  The gentleman was voicing a personal observation and his comments should be taken with a grain of salt. While I have the greatest respect for the Moderators on this forum, and respect their input and impartiality, in this particular case,  I find it necessary to respectfully voice my disagreement of the suggestion that he refer to the forum rules, which has the underlying connotation that his posting does not meet forum standards.

When the OWNER of the forum makes that suggestion it's probably  real good advice, I have been given that advice in the past and respect the reasons for it.>>>Dan

Folks are welcome to agree or disagree with our (my) actions and comments. However, after 20 years of administering this forum, we (the forum staff) have a good sense of when a topic is about to go downhill. We try hard to find the right balance, but don't always succeed, and learned a long time ago that we can't satisfy everyone. We try not to over-moderate, hoping that a topic will self-correct, but that leaves us open to critique for not having taken action sooner. If we take action too soon, some folks think we're being over-cautious.

Apologies if you're someone who doesn't agree with our (my) actions, but you don't get to read all the PMs and emails I see from folks who disagree one way or the other.

Anyone who followed the suggestion to read the forum rules would have seen this:

"The Registration Agreement reserves the right of RV Forum staff to remove from public view any message which, in its sole discretion, appears to be inconsistent with the Registration Agreement and/or RV  forum rules."

IOW when we created an account here, we (myself included) all agreed that forum staff will remove messages at our discretion. Anyone now disagreeing with that is no longer in agreement with the terms they accepted when joining the forum.

FWIW I've had some of my own messages removed by forum staff and, when I thought about them, I had to agree with the action taken.

Than you for your response. I understand you have a sometimes difficult position of deciding when to step in  and moderate.  With that said, what I really have a difficult time accepting is the intolerance by some forum members with the point of view of others, however, what really irks me is the suggestion by forum members that the poster find another forum to join. It is not their job to dictate who is, or is not welcomed on this forum. Thank you for listening to my point of view. So as not to prolong this matter, this will be my last post on this particular thread. Thank You.

Appreciate your comments, and for sharing them in a non-confrontational way.

Maybe I have the advantage of having been around long enough to know most of the long-time forum members and staff, and to have spent time face to face with many of them.*

[quote author=cgmartin]...the suggestion by forum members that the poster find another forum to join.[/quote]

I read the comment differently; Nobody was told to find another forum. That is always a choice we all have, and I've been known to leave a forum when I didn't agree with the way it was run. We've had folks leave this forum in a huff, only to return later and tell us that this is not such a bad place after all.

Meanwhile, folks are welcome to come here, participate, and stick around. All we ask is that they respect the rules they agreed to when registering for an account here.

* FWIW many of us here on the forum have met at rallies, and some of us have visited each others' homes. We don't all agree on all issues, but are usually able to resolve disagreements, often in private. In my case, forum staff have carte blanche to whack me over the head with a baseball bat if I step out of line, and they're not afraid to do that.

kjansen said:
I've only been on this forum for a couple of years, and when reading these posts I sometimes wonder when they will get locked.  I have to agree with the administrators on every lock down.  I even wonder why they don't lock some of them sooner.  I think we can have our own opinion and express them without some of the name calling  and politics that does happen.  If up to me I would have locked some of them sooner.

Keep up the good work administration!

Same here....every time one gets locked, it hasn't come as any surprise.  If you want a controversial thread to stay open, stick to facts and / or opinions, and don't make it personal. 

Having seen multiple threads on other forums go from bad to worse in just a few posts, I have no issue with the mods here stepping in when they do. I think they do a good job with regulating threads, there may be sometimes they step in a little early, but given what has happened on other forums, I have no issue with how they handle things. Keep up the good works guys.
If you are going to refer to everyone that smokes a little pot as potheads, do you mind if I refer to everyone that drinks alcohol as  an "alcoholic"? Personally, I prefer the quiet laid back pot smokers to loud, rowdy, boisterous drunks.

cdat said:
If you are going to refer to everyone that smokes a little pot as potheads, do you mind if I refer to everyone that drinks alcohol as  an "alcoholic"?

Nice....I like that, and will probably plagiarize it at some point.  :)

cdat said:
Personally, I prefer the quiet laid back pot smokers to loud, rowdy, boisterous drunks.

That makes two of us.  Drunks can get obnoxious in a hurry.

Getinaway said:

As a moderator on a different from told me: "If you don't like it, don't read it and move on."

I now agree and don't lose any sleep over threads that used to push my buttons.  I just move on.

Frizlefrak said:
Same here....every time one gets locked, it hasn't come as any surprise.  If you want a controversial thread to stay open, stick to facts and / or opinions, and don't make it personal.

This!
I appreciate the moderation here. It appears to be a community of leadership, not a one-man dictatorship. Hell.. Even the moderators don't always agree. When a thread goes downhill it's a judgement call.
I say thank you for your time and keep up the good work.
I do need to disagree on one point. When someone says 'find another forum if you don't like it', it's an invitation to take a hike. Not always
the best response.

Getinaway said:
Hey, another member speaks up. It appears that our view and opinions on this subject matter put us in the minority on this forum, which bothers me not. Also having a low post count here seems to automatically raise a red flag with the old timers, and makes your opinions less valid. I know moderating can be a difficult job, but just locking down a thread without first posting a warning for folks to back it down is maybe not the best approach sometimes.   

having a low post count here seems to automatically raise a red flag with the old timers, and makes your opinions less valid.

I'm not sure I understand that comment, or why it would be; Maybe because I'm an "old timer"  ???

... just locking down a thread without first posting a warning for folks to back it down is maybe not the best approach sometimes.

Agree, up to a point, and you'll see numerous friendly warnings posted here. In fact, I posted one before 6:00 am today. As I and other staffers readily admit, we don't always get it right. OTOH when a staffer posts a warning, it sometimes attracts a negative reaction, merely compounding the issue.

The "old timer" comment wasn't directed directly at you in this case. (However, if the shoe fits....  ;D) I do think you know what I mean though. Those members who have been on a forum for many years almost always treat the newer members differently, until they "prove" themselves worthy to be part of, and comment on "their" forum. I've seen it and I know you've seen it. Right or wrong, that seems to be the way of forums. There are always those who just can't seem to help themselves. God help you if you disagree with them on anything.

There are probably such individuals on every forum. OTOH if you read all the messages here, you'll see that several of us "old timers" welcome newcomers (to the forum) and encourage them to participate in the discussions. If someone indicates they have some knowledge or experience, we go out of our way to encourage them to give others the benefit of that.

BobX2 said:
The "old timer" comment wasn't directed directly at you in this case. (However, if the shoe fits....  ;D) I do think you know what I mean though. Those members who have been on a forum for many years almost always treat the newer members differently, until they "prove" themselves worthy to be part of, and comment on "their" forum. I've seen it and I know you've seen it. Right or wrong, that seems to be the way of forums. There are always those who just can't seem to help themselves. God help you if you disagree with them on anything.

A common observation found on ALL forums.
Much depends on what you mean by "treated differently." Treated rudely? Ignored? Doesn't happen here, with the possible exception of coming out of the shute railing about "hippie potheads" or other such derogatory characterizations.

The other component is human nature. When you first meet someone, do you accept everything they say as gospel truth? Or with a bit of salt? Opinions stated as facts? There is no "proving oneself" here to comment. However if I'm looking for (frequent) advice here I will tend to heed the comments of those regulars who have posted often enough with historically sound advice that I'm confident is correct. That doesn't mean treating others badly.

Go back and read your complaint assuming a face to face meeting.
Why are these norms of human nature and social interaction lost in forums?
Life's just not fair I guess....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom