Why is sheet vinyl bad flooring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought the vinyl planks for my TT, it is sitting in the TT until I get time to install it. When I get home from work and open the door the vinyl smell is so strong I have to open the doors and windows. How long will this smell last and is it dangerous? Also when starting the first row should the length be staggered? Start with a whole one the next a different length? Thanks Cathy

rebelsun said:
Hiring a guy with the screen name "Procastinator" who will do it for a case of beer.....
What could possibly go wrong?

shoot !

that was going to be my screen name....I guess I waited too long.

Mud Puppy said:
I just bought the vinyl planks for my TT, it is sitting in the TT until I get time to install it. When I get home from work and open the door the vinyl smell is so strong I have to open the doors and windows. How long will this smell last and is it dangerous? Also when starting the first row should the length be staggered? Start with a whole one the next a different length? Thanks Cathy
I wonder why that material is off gassing so much. I don't recall any material I have installed with an objectionable odor.

I would be worried too. Decent quality vinyl plank has little or no aroma.

Yes, the rows must be staggered. You never want adjacent rows to end at the same place, or even very close to the same spot. You should also avoid very short pieces (less than 9"?) at either end of a row whenever practical.

It had been in the TT for a couple days before I noticed the smell. It was hot yesterday and the air was set at about 85 deg. don't know if that had something to do with it. It is the stuff from Home Depot, resilient vinyl planks. Thanks for the install tip, I figured it needed to be staggered. Cathy

It could be I needed it to be thin to fit under the slide when it comes in. I looked at lamanent but the slide scraped on it coming in. Thanks Cathy

Back
Top Bottom