Why not to believe the sales staff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Airbags DO NOT increase towing or payload capacity, every air bag manufacturer states that in their literature. They only help carry the load that is within the vehicle manufacturers specifications. The only way to increase the carrying or towing capacity is have an engineer re-rate the complete vehicle after modifications. It would be cheaper to buy a trailer that meets the specs or buy a bigger truck.

kdbgoat said:
Airbags DO NOT increase towing or payload capacity, every air bag manufacturer states that in their literature. They only help carry the load that is within the vehicle manufacturers specifications. The only way to increase the carrying or towing capacity is have an engineer re-rate the complete vehicle after modifications. It would be cheaper to buy a trailer that meets the specs or buy a bigger truck.

Absolutely correct about adding airbags. They do nothing to increase your towing capacity. They will help you level out the tow vehicle once the tongue weight (or hitch weight of a 5'vr) is loaded onto the vehicle.

I had some fun a few days ago. I wanted to look at some trailers at a dealership and went in there as if I knew absolutely nothing about towing and trailers (not far from the truth actually!).

Anyway, the dealer asked me what truck I had and looked up the max towing weight, which is 9180 for my truck. He didn't ask any other questions about the truck such as what my payload was listed at, what and who would be in the truck, would I be boondocking, or anything else. Every trailer he showed me was about 26-28 feet, which is much longer than the 20-23 feet I suggested I was interested in. One that was actually very nice, was a 27 foot unit with one slide and a dry weight of 5600 lbs. GVW was about 7400 lbs. I guess I could pull it with my truck, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Of course, he said it would be no problem at all.

kdbgoat said:
Agree! If you in an accident. And they weight you. You still have to be under on what the door sticker says. Air bags will not count for the extra weight you are carrying.

Russ+Chris said:
Agree! If you in an accident. And they weight you. You still have to be under on what the door sticker says. Air bags will not count for the extra weight you are carrying.
Unlikely that they will weigh you or the pieces.

Bottom line is that the Driver is responsible for safe operation of the vehicle. Like ensuring that it is not overloaded.
This is the sole responsibility ovf the driver no one else, not the salesman or people on this forum or your neighbor.
You must do your own research and determine what is a safe load.

Oh boy, have we come a loooooong way from my original post.

We ended up buying a 2013 f350 super duty diesel and a 2016 cougar 28RBS. Yay! No worries about towing safety now :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom