Why so much fifth wheel underbelly clearance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyt

I've been looking at a lot of RV's lately and I noticed that there is quite a bit of under belly clearance on a 5th wheel thus what I believe is a ton of wasted space. With the gooseneck attaching above the axle of the tow vehicle, a 5th wheel is not much different than a class A or C with the ground clearance not changing much. The rear wheels of the tow vehicle are like the front wheels of a motor coach. The distance to the ground at the front of the 5th wheel stays more or less the same.

I can understand the need for the clearance on a conventional travel trailer where the hitch mounts to the back of a end of the tow vehicle. As the tow vehicle goes up a ramp you have a bending moment and the hitch moves way down and sometimes even making contact with the ground but on a fifth wheel you really don't have that. Yes you need some clearance but not as much as I see.

The 5th wheel could either ride at least 6" lower or it could have much more basement storage. The rear could rake up like on a conventional class A or C.

Has anyone ever bottomed out a 5th wheel in front of the axles that wouldn't have also bottomed out on a motor coach of similar wheel base?

Just wondering???

Regards,
Tom

Depends on where you travel, I guess. Some remote campsites have rutted or crowned roads - they aren't all flat and nicely paved.

The place most likely to bottom out is the rear end, far behind the axles, so good clearance is needed there. However, clearance should be the same the entire length of the rig, i.e. the rig should tow level.

Still, I think you may be right - there is often more space allowance than most people ever need.

Look at some of the new Motana trailers.  It appears they have lowered the frame section in front of the axles which gives more basement space.  I agree there is much wasted space with most 5th wheel trailers.

Seems to be that way on the newer models. it is really bad for aerodynamics/fuel economy.

Hmmm... 

My 00 Jayco and the 02 Dodge which happens to be a 4WD seem to about equal height. It kind of nice to have the extra few inches on the trailer for some of the steep/short driveway you got to travel in. I've never bottomed out the tail but dang close a few times...

My old Avion is fairly low, and it has a couple of steel rollers on the back. I don't think they have ever touched. It does rake up about 7" in the back. It has about 8.5 feet of overhang. Since I have a 2by, I probably won't take it to near as many iffy spots.

I sure welcomed all that clearance when I had to crawl underneath and manually extend/retract my living room slide and other times when I had to get underneath for other maintenance activities.  ;)

I too welcome the space when going over a deep dip at some intersections and also into and out of service stations, etc. It keeps the tail of the 5th Wheel from dragging on the pavement.

Out Montana 5th Wheel is built with the steel frame extended completely to read so when and if it drags only the steel frame girders touch the pavement, protecting the body. But even that is minimal when high enough.

Back
Top Bottom