WiFi and Grand Canyon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watkins Glen used to have a laser light show on the canyon wall at night.  Dinosaurs!  The Finger Lakes area is pretty.

Pennsylvania - one of the original 13 states - has Philadelphia with Independence Hall.  Gettysburg Battlefield.  That whole area is full of Revolutionary War sites.  Not to mention Boston.  "The Redcoats are coming! The Redcoats are coming!"

Google is your friend to learn about these wonderful sites.  Put those boys to work on finding out where they want to go on shorter weekends and more lengthy visits!

ArdraF

"By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT."

Because of this info is that you need more than two weeks to have an enjoyable trip.  You need to wait until you have more time.  In addition, most of us when we travel that kind of distance, we try to stop and visit worthy places in route. If you drive all the way through without stopping in some of those places, you would miss a great opportunity.My two cents.

RVRAC said:
"By the way, it's about 2,420 miles from Woodstock to Williams AZ and about 2,350 miles to West Yellowstone MT."

Because of this info is that you need more than two weeks to have an enjoyable trip.  You need to wait until you have more time.  In addition, most of us when we travel that kind of distance, we try to stop and visit worthy places in route. If you drive all the way through without stopping in some of those places, you would miss a great opportunity.My two cents.

This makes perfect sense.

ditsjets7 said:
Any suggestions on what National parks or great places to go  closer to upstate NY? I am kind of bummed, I really want to drive this rig out west, but all your points make all too much sense.

Your other option is to drive out with the kids a week earlier, leave yourself shorter travel days and take your time and have your wife fly in and meet you there.  1 week of her vacation saved that way.  I did this for our trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone this summer.

dave

Hokie-Dave said:
Your other option is to drive out with the kids a week earlier, leave yourself shorter travel days and take your time and have your wife fly in and meet you there.  1 week of her vacation saved that way.  I did this for our trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone this summer.

dave

I have considered this option. Any suggestions on where I might have her fly out to?

If you stay back east, Finger Lakes area is nice. Also, central PA, Strasburg Railroad, Hershey, Lancaster.

Hokie-Dave said:
Probably Phoenix for the Grand Canyon, or Jackson, WY for Yellowstone.

dave

Or perhaps Flagstaff, AZ for the Grand Canyon. Depending on where you want to go and what you want to see, Billings, MT might be another option for Yellowstone, though it's a few hours drive from the park. Or Bozeman, MT would be even closer, though still not quite next door. It's a pretty drive...

Regarding Yellowstone. That park is immense!! It covers a couple states. You'll want to figure out what you want to see, for instance Old Faithful is closest to Jackson Hole WY along with the Grand Tetons. The wildlife I believe is closer to the north east corner. I'm pretty sure the only way to get there from Jackson hole is thru the park, no highways available.it's along ride because of sightseers. Possibly a day? Other more experienced travelers will chime in, but living in the northeast this area is nothing you could imagine!

Dan is right. Also, the time it takes to get anywhere is also affected by wildlife "jams," that is, people stopped on, partially on, or next to the road to see wildlife, whether it's one elk, a herd of bison, or maybe a bear. Then there are the other wildlife "jams" where bison walk across or down the road, slowing or stopping traffic. We had one in the spring where it took us over an hour and a half to go a couple of miles, because something over 20 bison were walking on the road in the same direction we were driving, not caring about staying in the lane, and every time someone would attempt to pass, the bison would ease into the "passing" lane, too. That's besides oncoming traffic that had to stop for the bison. And often as not, with so much traffic, the bison would even pass us.

Of course you don't usually get it that bad, but we had more than one of those (the others not so long) that spring.

Hi all! The advice I have gotten here has been tremendous. I can't thank you all enough. We are taking our FIRST big trip in late march. We will leave NY and drive to Winchester VA and stop for the night. The next morning drive another hour south to New Market VA and spend a good part of the day at the battlefield and museum there. From there we will go another 4 hours to Morganton, N.C. I will be seeing Family and plugging the RV in at their house for two nights. From there It is back up North to Bull Run Campground near Fairfax V.A. This is about a 5 1/2 hour trip. Stay the night and go to the Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport the next day. Back to the campground for the evening. Then make the 5 1/2 hour trip. Back to Woodstock, N.Y. We are going to cover a lot of ground, see a lot of great things, see family, and I think we are not over doing it. The "Times" I posted were from MapQuest. For the 4-6 hour runs we plan to stop, stretch, maybe my wife can come out of the bullpen for an hour or two so I can charge back up. This is my plan for late March. If this goes well I like the idea of me driving out to WY with my boys with a 5 day head start and having my wife fly into Jackson Hole WY. That way her two week vacation starts then and we can really explore the park and hopefully some great things on the way home. Or, we may decide to stay closer to home this year and do the great lakes, Niagara falls or something else. Either way I have a new perspective on planning for long trips. My goal is to head West while my tires are still young. They are currently two years old. I have no idea what a new set of 6 costs for a class C, but I can't imagine it's cheap.

I honestly never would thought of so many of the variables that I learned here. Thank you all for your kindness and consideration, your insight and advice. I feel so much better about this moving forward.

About traveling with the kids.  I wouldn't worry so much about the 4-5 hard days of travel to get there.  They won't care for the constant driving, but they will get over it. 

The important thing is when you get to where you are going, you then slow down and relax.  No driving for a few hours, sightseeing for an hour or two driving a few more hours to a museum or attraction, setting up for the night and repeating that the next day. 

Instead set up camp and stay in one spot for 4 days to a week.  After doing your sightseeing, hiking museum, etc get back to camp by 3pm or so so everyone can relax and play at the campground.  If you travel to a new location make it near by, 2-4 hour drive and stay put for another 4 days to a week.

The above is what we did with our kids when we went on vacation.  They are in their 40's now.

AStravelers said:
About traveling with the kids.  I wouldn't worry so much about the 4-5 hard days of travel to get there.  They won't care for the constant driving, but they will get over it. 

The important thing is when you get to where you are going, you then slow down and relax.  No driving for a few hours, sightseeing for an hour or two driving a few more hours to a museum or attraction, setting up for the night and repeating that the next day. 

Instead set up camp and stay in one spot for 4 days to a week.  After doing your sightseeing, hiking museum, etc get back to camp by 3pm or so so everyone can relax and play at the campground.  If you travel to a new location make it near by, 2-4 hour drive and stay put for another 4 days to a week.

The above is what we did with our kids when we went on vacation.  They are in their 40's now.

That?s great advice! I envision them sitting at the table playing chess and other games while we drive. I?m looking forward to it!

ditsjets7 said:
This is great information. Thank you. Looks like work is out. Now the question is is it feasible to get there, have enough time to enjoy Yellowstone, and get back in two weeks time?

I fear the easy but only realistic answer to this question is "no." As many others have tried to explain, you essentially have two ways of looking at this.

1) Drive 500 miles a day to give yourself a maximum of six days at your destination, meaning spending no less than 16 hours per day on the road and turning into a zombie by the time you get to your destination. This means taking no less than one full day recuperating before even wanting to go see the sights. This also means not spending ANY time seeing the sights while on the road to your destination, which for most RVer's is half the vacation. It will also mean cranky kids because they have nothing to do but sit and ask how much longer is it going to take.

2) Drive a more realistic 300-400 miles per day, still be tired when you get there, but at least functional, and take 10-12 days on the road, only leaving you one or two days at your destination, which kind of makes the entire trip and its associated expenses a waste of time and money. And driving 400 miles a day will still not give you time to smell the roses while you're on the road.

The people on this forum are experienced and have already made the mistakes you are contemplating making yourself. We are simply trying to share our own experience so you may have a more enjoyable vacation.

In May of 2016, the wife, two dogs and I took a five week trip from SW Florida to Las Vegas to the Midwest and back home. It was a 6,200 mile round trip. The first leg was to Tuscon, AZ and it took us six days to get there driving 350-425 miles per day. By day five, I was unable to effectively communicate with my wife when she asked me a question and by day six, I was a zombie. I needed time off the road to recover. And that was with no kids, unless you count the dogs as four legged children. Same thing on the way back. Shot down I-40 from Kingman, AZ after leaving Las Vegas all the way to Ft. Smith, AR on our way to Hot Springs. I was too tired to care by the time we reached Amarillo, TX because we were trying to make good time and not stay on the road any longer than necessary. I learned from that trip to keep my daily trips to 300-350 miles and simply plan on taking longer to get there so I can enjoy the entire trip, not just the destination. Something else to keep in mind is the possibility of a breakdown of some kind that may cost you hours or days. A tire blowout could set you back over a half day by itself, depending on how far away from a dealer you might breakdown. It is wise to build in an extra day or two in the event of some kind of emergency, especially in an older RV. Just because your tires and hoses are in good shape doesn't mean something else won't go wrong or breakdown.

My advice to you is to plan a shorter trip until your wife can take more time off. If you seriously want to see either Yellowstone or the GC and you live in upstate New York, I wouldn't think of trying to make either destination in less than four weeks if you really want to enjoy it. Consider that it will take you at least a week to see all there is to see in Yellowstone, and if you spend that long, you'll still feel like you missed something. But if you want to take a vacation that the entire family will enjoy and remember as a good time, take your time and make stops along the way that might take a couple of hours or even a day or two.

I just realized there was more than one page to this thread and you have already come to this conclusion. Sorry about that.

John, thank you. I appreciate you and everyone here sharing their experiences to help me and others. Thanks again!

Mike

Well I see you are on plan B. 

It's pretty rare when plan A works for us. Last summer our seven week trip throughout  four western states  was on plan F by the time we finished.

Never a dull moment in the RVing world!!!

Reading this post, I see no mention or thought about transportation when you get to your destinations.. Keep in mind that a motorhome is not like a car and parking and even driving in congested areas is going to be a challenge.  If you're thinking about rental cars, I would highly recommend some thorough research into availability, cost, etc., for any place you're considering visiting. You don't want any surprises when you arrive.

2kGeorgieBoy said:
Reading this post, I see no mention or thought about transportation when you get to your destinations.. Keep in mind that a motorhome is not like a car and parking and even driving in congested areas is going to be a challenge.  If you're thinking about rental cars, I would highly recommend some thorough research into availability, cost, etc., for any place you're considering visiting. You don't want any surprises when you arrive.
The south rim of the Grand Canyon has an excellent free shuttle bus system that runs from before sunrise to after sunset. I never drive when I am there. Zion and Bryce also have shuttles.

Back
Top Bottom