Wifi signal booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca1369

Hello,

I am looking for a wifi signal booster (I don't have a card in either my laptop or desktop-currently working off a cable modem), and I came across a link in a thread dated over a year ago. 

This is the link I found on the previous thread.  It seems to be just what I need and will plug into my USB hub to allow access to either computer.

My question is, is there a better unit on the market today?  I've also looked at this item, but it doesn't appear quite what I need.  I've searched NewEgg with no luck.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I have the Hawking and it works as advertised.  It can't perform magic, but it does work.

I have seen several schemes to increase the performance of a wi-fi adapter.. Most of them actually work. Including the Hawking 'Dish" design.

If you have a "Dongle" type wi-fi adapter (These units are about the size of a thumb drive) and a long enough USB cord try tapint it (Just lay scotch or other tape. or even a couple of rubber bands) to the lens (The white "hockey Puck) on a DIREC TV one LBN dish and ponting that dish to what you think would be a bit below the router.

I think you will be amazed

John, I think I know what you mean. Could you rewrite your story so everyone can understand it in a little bit more elaborate detail?

carson

We have two of the Hawking dish WiFi extenders and they work great.  Once in a MH park a very tall 5th wheel parked next to me completely blocking the line of sight WiFi signal and I was at the far end of the park.  Because we were going to be there a couple of nights I cranked up our Winegard thru-the-air TV antenna and taped the Hawking Dish to the top of it.  At that point I had a WiFi dish antenna well above the 5th wheel and I could turn it left and right from inside the coach.  It worked great.

JerryF 

Jerry, are you saying you can leave the Hawkings out in the weather?  In rain?

Thanks.

Steve

Not really.  If it would have looked like rain I would have covered it with a plastic bag.

JerryF

carson said:
John, I think I know what you mean. Could you rewrite your story so everyone can understand it in a little bit more elaborate detail?

carson

In a month or so I should have a few spare dollars,  When I do I'm headed to MIcro Center for the lowest cost WI-FI adapter I can get

When I get it I will test my theory and post pictures.. This is one case where a picture is worth 10,000 words

But basically the idea is to use the TV-sat dish as a reflector.. Estimated gain in excess of 20 DB should be possible.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Do you leave it permanently attached to the roof antenna?

Yes, it's always on there. I made a custom stainless steel mount that grips the 1" square tube tightly while still allowing the TV antenna to fold flat. I preferred that to drilling the tubing. The 1" tube is so thin that no matter what you did the bolts would loosen up over time due to the tube deforming.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I purchased this unit.  It should do what I need it to do.

I plan to use Verizon for some of my internet access and use wifi when available.

Steve

John In Detroit said:
That looks like it might just cut the smog as it were... Remember a clear line of sight is a good thing.

I hope so John.

I will either rig up some sort of PVC pole or perhaps attach it to my Wineguard antenna (which I never use anyway but would make a pefect rotating mount as long as the windage doesn't destroy the unit).

Steve

dgshaffer said:
Yes, it's always on there. I made a custom stainless steel mount that grips the 1" square tube tightly while still allowing the TV antenna to fold flat. I preferred that to drilling the tubing. The 1" tube is so thin that no matter what you did the bolts would loosen up over time due to the tube deforming.

Can you take a photo of how you mounted it. I like this unit with the repeater. My wife, son and I all have laptops we use so the repeater is the best way for us to go.

Just checked the website and I see how it mounts. I also read that you can set the repeater up for 12v dc power! Are you useing 120V or 12v?

After reading the posts, my question is would the USB powered or the 120V type be best ? Many times we have not be able to get a strong enough signal in a campground, seems one of these would sure help !

Thanks,
Jack

The source of power (USB  or a 120vac outlet) has no effect on the quality/strength of the signal. It's the design of the electronics that makes the difference. Mostly the radio power and the antenna design.

wkndfun said:
Can you take a photo of how you mounted it. I like this unit with the repeater. My wife, son and I all have laptops we use so the repeater is the best way for us to go.

Just checked the website and I see how it mounts. I also read that you can set the repeater up for 12v dc power! Are you useing 120V or 12v?

Let me know if you go this route and I'll send you an extra mount I made (assuming your winegard is like mine with the 1" square tubing construction). I'll try to take a picture of it up close tomorrow.

I haven't switched it over to 12vdc yet but I plan on doing that as soon as the weather breaks.

Thanks yes this is the way I going. I check my unit and see if it is the square tubing.

Back
Top Bottom