WiFiRanger/Millenicom/Other for consistent constant internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heykvaz

I'm wondering what is the better package to run with?
The WiFiRanger (WFR) RV combo bundle combines their mobile antenna (or their Sky) with the new Go2 router and Millenicom service with an old 4620le hotspot on Verizon towers.
How effective is the WFR setup at picking up campground WiFi if it is available, and the quality of that connection?
Does that hotspot need that Wilson Sleek booster?
How about that RV antenna or an amplifier?
Is that hotspot enough to sustain your mobile internet needs and how much data do you typically use?
What do you use data service for (e-mail, Pandora, hulu+, netflix, basic web searching, etc.)?
That 4620le hotspot is old old old technology in our modern age. As a reference, Verizon has offered 5 newer models since that one debuted. Are there better alternatives to the 4620le/Sleek/antenna/amplifier combo?

Which is better, a hotspot repeated through the WFR Go2 router (or some other device/router), or is it an aircard or similar plugged in or tethered via USB (3.0 even)?
Could I use the SIM card from the 4620le provided through Millenicom in a newer device, and are there benefits to doing so?
Some suggest a secondary carrier, which one and why? How often do you need to fallback on the secondary? Does the secondary require additional antenna setups?
Can the WFR (or other setup) connect to WiFi, a primary cellular connection, and a secondary connection; can it distinguish between multiple connections imposing limits and hot switching between each one?
All of these considering reasonable upfront and monthly costs, and moderate tech skill level.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm sure I'll have more questions after. If anyone thinks this should be it's own thread feel free to change it, I'm just adding to the conversation started.
(Initially posted in newcomers but no response)

For what it's worth, I've had great success using this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NQ9U04/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

with my Verizon 4510L hotspot (originally from Millenicom).

heykvaz said:
I'm wondering what is the better package to run with?
The WiFiRanger (WFR) RV combo bundle combines their mobile antenna (or their Sky) with the new Go2 router and Millenicom service with an old 4620le hotspot on Verizon towers.
How effective is the WFR setup at picking up campground WiFi if it is available, and the quality of that connection? 
I've used my WFR to successfully connect to access points more than 1/4 mile away; I don't know what you mean by the "quality of the connection"--it worked and was stable and we streamed a movie on it.

Does that hotspot need that Wilson Sleek booster?
Depending on where you are located the Sleek will improve the hotspot's reception.  We use one of our phones as a hotspot and always keep it in a Sleek.

How about that RV antenna or an amplifier?
I don't quite know what you mean by this.  The Sky/Mobile and the Go2 are both amplifiers and the Mobile has an external antenna.  What would you like to know about them?

Is that hotspot enough to sustain your mobile internet needs and how much data do you typically use?
We are full-timers and use a hotspot for virtually all our needs.  However, since we have a grandfathered unlimited Verizon plan we use >35GB/mo.  Everyone's needs are different, however.

What do you use data service for (e-mail, Pandora, hulu+, netflix, basic web searching, etc.)?
We use our internet connections for all of the above.

That 4620le hotspot is old old old technology in our modern age. As a reference, Verizon has offered 5 newer models since that one debuted. Are there better alternatives to the 4620le/Sleek/antenna/amplifier combo?
I'm not aware of any particular advantages offered by the newer hotspots, but technology is always advancing.  For example, in 2014 Verizon will probably begin releasing devices with expanded 4G/LTE capability which are capable of utilizing the AWS frequency spectrum, but IMHO there's always going to be something new that will make your existing device obsolete, but you can't sit still and wait forever since change is continuous.

Which is better, a hotspot repeated through the WFR Go2 router (or some other device/router), or is it an aircard or similar plugged in or tethered via USB (3.0 even)?
This isn't really a case of one being better than the other. If a Go2 router is combined with a Sky or a Mobile and the system is set up so that both radios are used that should make the throughput of a hotspot-based system pretty much the same as one that uses a USB modem. 

Could I use the SIM card from the 4620le provided through Millenicom in a newer device, and are there benefits to doing so?
I believe that SIM cards for 4G Verizon devices can be moved from one device to another.

Some suggest a secondary carrier, which one and why? How often do you need to fallback on the secondary? Does the secondary require additional antenna setups?
We have just Verizon and have not been without cell/internet service at any location in the past year except on the floor of Death Valley and that's any area where none of the carriers have a decent signal.

Can the WFR (or other setup) connect to WiFi, a primary cellular connection, and a secondary connection; can it distinguish between multiple connections imposing limits and hot switching between each one?
The WFR can connect to whatever wifi source (hotspot) you provide.  You can "order" your connections and provide hot switching from one to another.  At our current campground I backup my phone's hotspot with the park's wifi and the switch is made automatically in the background when needed.

All of these considering reasonable upfront and monthly costs, and moderate tech skill level.
WFR products are designed to be used by average non-technical RVers.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm sure I'll have more questions after. If anyone thinks this should be it's own thread feel free to change it, I'm just adding to the conversation started.
(Initially posted in newcomers but no response)

If you have additional questions feel free to post them or PM me.

Thank you both for the speedy replies.

docj - I GREATLY appreciate the thorough answer.  You were unsure what I meant in the third question.  I am aware of the Wilson Sleek booster, I was wondering if that is enough to sustain the boost needed, or do you also boost through an antenna, listed on WFR http://goo.gl/JtVy0i  There is also amplifier's you can plug in the connection from antenna to booster, listed on Amazon http://goo.gl/be7EC8  I ask because I recently signed up for just Millenicom and the 4620le has vastly underperformed in my opinion, we aren't moving yet signal is all over the place and constantly goes "dormant" cutting all connections through it and requiring a manual reboot. I am sure that an external mounted antenna, and possibly the amplifier, could greatly improve my issue but was unsure if any had tried this or if anyone has needed those extras.  I really wish I could be in an unlimited plan too, but the only ones available now are Sprint and I just did a road trip with them for my cell service and was roaming 95% of the time with rare data connection.

The Sleek comes with a small, magnetic mount external antenna. I replaced it with the larger mag-mount antenna shwon here  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018PS4O0/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  (According to Wilson this antenna will provide some gain in the 700 MHz band even though this Amazon listing doesn't show it.)

The Wilson amplifier you reference is a dual-band unit; it will not work for 4G.  At present the Sleek is the only affordable 4G/3G amp.

As for the speed variability of the cellular system that is a fact that most people are unaware of.  The download speed of a cellular connection changes on a nearly continuous basis and can even go to zero for a minute or two at a time.  If you use Speedtest.net you can see the variability even during the relatively short test period. 

An amplifier can improve your ability to maintain a connection and to keep a device from switching back and forth between 4G and 3G but it can't do much about gross variations in speed nor can it prevent periodic "pauses."  The good news is that Verizon 4G often is good enough that we can watch an entire movie without needing to "re-buffer" but we aren't too put off if our Roku is forced to "re-load" once or twice in a two hour video.

I would look at that particular unit as the possible issue. We had a friend with a Verizon hotspot and the hotspot itself was faulty. I could put mine right next to his and he had no problem as long as he was connected to mine. When his was replaced by Verizon, he had no further problems.

I am using both a Verizon and Millenicom 4620 without issues or boosters for almost two years now in seventeen states. The Millenicom rate per GB is far better than my other two plans.

I work across them full time over a VPN managing a large data warehouse for a major government program and could not be happier. I have held a connection for several hours rolling down the Interstate working while my wife drove.

There's also an AT&T MiFi onboard, and I am quite pleased with the both Verizon and AT&T coverages. We do not stream video except in small shots and even on my 5GB plans, we typically do not run near the limits with two laptops, an iPad, a Mac, and two iPhones.

"Old technology" is a relative term and is not nearly the issue here that local coverage will be. There are just a lot of places still that do not have the infrastructure built out and the fastest modem in the world won't change that. Comparing your experience on cellular data to hardwired connections, though, is just apples verses oranges. You need to adapt to the limitations.

Thank you for such quick additions to this discussion.

I'll look into whether the issues I am experiencing is because of a defective device.

docj - I'm familiar with speedtest.net (set to my homepage even), so that is where the questions of conectivity came from.  We have a fiberglass class-a, so I was shying away from the magnetic mount antenna's.  Is that one better than or similar to the one I referenced.  I understand what you are saying about the amplifier not working on 4g, I didn't know if it was necessary due to dropping from 4g or not (which does happen just sitting here in a city sometimes, hence the questions about device defectiveness).

I was typing this already, so I'll leave it and see if it changes anything said:
Regarding the hotspot or USB aircard I wasn't sure if one would maintain a more stable or stronger or faster signal or not. 
I also wasn't sure if the 4620le would still be a viable option or if something like the newer MHS291L would be better, and if you could take the Millenicom SIM and swap it into the newer model.
There are also Cradlepoint routers, even ones that utilize a connected cellular box that you just slide the SIM into.

Side note, how does everyone connect their streaming devices, and which do you use. Oh, and Apple or other?

heykvaz said:
docj - I'm familiar with speedtest.net (set to my homepage even), so that is where the questions of conectivity came from.  We have a fiberglass class-a, so I was shying away from the magnetic mount antenna's.
I glued a small piece of magnetic stainless steel to the roof of our fiberglass MH using 3M tape designed for automotive trim and the antenna sticks to it. 

I was typing this already, so I'll leave it and see if it changes anything said:
Regarding the hotspot or USB aircard I wasn't sure if one would maintain a more stable or stronger or faster signal or not.

Not necessarily

I also wasn't sure if the 4620le would still be a viable option or if something like the newer MHS291L would be better, and if you could take the Millenicom SIM and swap it into the newer model.
There are also Cradlepoint routers, even ones that utilize a connected cellular box that you just slide the SIM into.
As I said before, 4G SIMS can be transferred to similar devices (you can't just put the modem's SIM in a phone).  If you find some "better" device that you want to buy you should be able to put the Millenicom SIM in it.

Side note, how does everyone connect their streaming devices, and which do you use. Oh, and Apple or other?
We use a Roku for our streaming.  It connects by WiFi to our WiFi Ranger or directly to our phone's hotspot.
Edit: Fixed quotes.

I used ours all summer just sitting on top of the DVR up front under the fiberglass cap of the motorhome and got good signal wherever we were. It usually added two bars to the strength meter.

Thanks again for all the incredibly helpful information.
I'm trying to make sure I do things the best way and the right way the first time.  I'm still trying to figure out how to do the wires I do have to run, and where to put the devices in the limited cabinet spaces.
In addition to this information I have referenced Technomadia's posts (http://goo.gl/JcpSLb is a good start)

I'm not fully sure how my setup will go just yet but I'll try putting pen to paper and maybe see more results.

docj said:
I glued a small piece of magnetic stainless steel to the roof of our fiberglass MH using 3M tape designed for automotive trim and the antenna sticks to it. 

docj - That is a wonderfully clever idea with the stainless steel plates to hold the magnetic antennas.

Except that most stainless steel has very poor magnetic attraction. A magnetic antenna will barely cling to #304 stainless, probably the most common stainless alloy. There are some stainless alloys that have better magnetic properties than others, plus there are sandwiches of stainless skin over an iron base. Be sure to test your magnetic antenna with the metal sheet before gluing it to the roof.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Except that most stainless steel has very poor magnetic attraction. A magnetic antenna will barely cling to #304 stainless, probably the most common stainless alloy. There are some stainless alloys that have better magnetic properties than others, plus there are sandwiches of stainless skin over an iron base. Be sure to test your magnetic antenna with the metal sheet before gluing it to the roof.

I tested the piece I bought before I purchased it; a magnet sticks to it just fine.

In  general, a magnet will stick to 400 series stainless, but it won't to 300 series.  There's plenty of stainless steel cookware in the marketplace certified to work with induction burners; it has to be ferromagnetic for that to be the case.

docj said:
In  general, a magnet will stick to 400 series stainless, but it won't to 300 series.  There's plenty of stainless steel cookware in the marketplace certified to work with induction burners; it has to be ferromagnetic for that to be the case.

Wow docj, you are just full of knowledge! 

Thanks for all the help you gave me on here, and the same to everyone else.  I ordered the Mobile RV pack from WiFiRanger, with which I'll pair my Millenicom hotspot plan.  I wanted the Mobile instead of the Sky because I didn't want to hard mount anything just yet (coach is still brand new to me and sky requires holes and mounts). The Mobile can attach to a pole and I'll try it from a paint brush extender and my ladder first for higher elevation than just the roof. 

WFR has also announced a newer Go2 router to come out soon, which you can get to replace the original Go but is included in purchase as of now for any potential buyers of the WFR setups.  I couldn't find any specs on it, but found some interesting info:

"By upgrading to the Go2, you would potentially get better LAN to LAN transfer. The new Go2 has more processing power than the original Go, which allows for better data transfers between LAN devices. So no, you would not be getting better signal or reception with the Go2 via WiFi. Rather, you'd be getting better signal to your device directly through a cable from the LAN ports."  -  http://goo.gl/WEwyTi

"The Go2 has a 1000mw radio as opposed to the 220mw radio in the original WFRs. This represents about a 5X performance in reach. The Go2 will also power your WFRBoost directly and eliminate the WFRPod and several cables."  -  http://goo.gl/rytZHG

I'm still unsure about the antennas, so I'll try to the standard mount first.  Than I'll be able to get a better idea of doing the magnetic plates or bracket mounting, and where I need to place it.  Plus it doesn't hurt to have a standard mount too, I can just toss that onto our Jeep toad and use the hotspot in there too. Or take it for motorcycle rides.  But I did go with the Wilson Sleek booster that was mentioned a few times, also purchased through WFR.

Also, WiFiRanger has a code for 5% off.  Technomadia has one available (WFRTECHNO) and WFR has one through Facebook (WFRFACEBOOK).  I used Technomadia's code and saved about $40.  Every bit helps...

We use an old Verizon 3g Mifi hotspot and have had excellent results most places over the past several years. Now that 4g LTE is widely available, I plan to upgrade to a 4g Verizon hotspot in the spring.

We also use a Crane SuperUSB wifi radio/antenna, purchased from our sponsor, rvledbulbs.com. It's a powerful wifi radio plus an antenna on a long cord that plugs to a USB port. It works really well and I rarely have to place the antenna end outside the coach. rvledbulbs.com has a 10% discount for forum members - see ad at top of page.
http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/52.htm

heykvaz said:

Thanks for all the help you gave me on here, and the same to everyone else.  I ordered the Mobile RV pack from WiFiRanger, with which I'll pair my Millenicom hotspot plan.  I wanted the Mobile instead of the Sky because I didn't want to hard mount anything just yet (coach is still brand new to me and sky requires holes and mounts). The Mobile can attach to a pole and I'll try it from a paint brush extender and my ladder first for higher elevation than just the roof. 

l'll let you in on a secret--I have my Mobile inside the coach in the old TV cabinet because I didn't want to drill any holes and it works just fine.  The coach is fiberglass and I figure I'm losing ~3dB for doing that, but rarely are we ever in a situation where "raw power" determines whether or not we're going to be able to connect to a wifi access point.

If you have any questions after you receive the hardware, feel free to PM me with them.

Joel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom