Will 1 or 2 nights of below 32 degrees break class A pipes etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CP

We are planning to leave northeast in a week and there a temps. below freezing at night before we leave. If I fill fresh and half fill black tanks will I break water lines etc? We have a 2011 Fleetwood Terra, 31ft class A motor home. Hate to postpone trip and we would only use toilet and bath sink until we get further south. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

No you won't break water pipes with only a few nights of below 32 degrees. With a class A most of the pipes are in the basement and it stays warmer than the outside temperatures. I would not hook up a garden hose to the RV  for fresh water.

How far below? With heat on, 20 degrees should not be a problem, but also depends on how long it is that cold, if only a few hours at night not a problem, but a  few days possible problem. It also depends on the insulation level of the camper.

However, why fill tanks and lines? A case or two of bottled water will suffice until you reach warmer climes, preventing any problems, then fill at a campground.

Thanks old racer & seilerbird. I forgot to mention there is no heat in the MH. Using bottled water is a good option.

CP said:
We are planning to leave northeast in a week and there a temps. below freezing at night before we leave. If I fill fresh and half fill black tanks will I break water lines etc? We have a 2011 Fleetwood Terra, 31ft class A motor home. Hate to postpone trip and we would only use toilet and bath sink until we get further south. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
We camp in the desert and many times the temp at night gets in the 20's and we have never had a problem. Have left dogs water bowls outside and in the morning they can skate on the them.    :)

OLDRACER said:
However, why fill tanks and lines? A case or two of bottled water will suffice until you reach warmer climes, preventing any problems, then fill at a campground.
....When we leave Iowa (snowbird) headed for Florida the rig is already winterized so we always take a half dozen gallon milk jugs filled with water just for brewing tea or coffee and minimal toilet usage...just one days driving south gets you pretty much out of the freeze zone..then you fill up at the campground.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

No heat in the motorhome?  I hope you carry LOTS of warm blankets and warm clothes.  It's going to be COLD.

ArdraF

To keep the water pump from freezing I place a mechanic drop light with a 100 watt bulb in the bay that contains the pump. I leave it on over night. Just another precaution.

dsrtrdr said:
To keep the water pump from freezing I place a mechanic drop light with a 100 watt bulb in the bay that contains the pump. I leave it on over night. Just another precaution.
  Them 100 watt bulbs are hard to find anymore?  Please share where.

Yep that they are. I had some stored away that I bought at Ace hardware back when they clearing their shelves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom