Will a Chevy 1500 do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisdd

I have a Freedom Express Travel Trailer 292BHDS with a dry weight of 6,250 lb, a GVWR of 7,600 and a hitch weight of 750 lb. My previous truck was a Chevy 2500 HD and it towed nice. That truck was totaled in an accident, and I am looking for a new truck. Our camping life seems to be winding down. Kids are grown and the neighbors we camp with go less frequently. We take one camping trip for 3 weeks a year, so I am not towing often or very far. With less gear, cargo and kids, I was hoping to drop down to a half ton truck like the Chevy 1500 or Ford F150. I don't like driving a 3/4 ton truck for several reasons, and I don't even know if I will still be camping in 3 years. Is it feasible to tow with a half-ton truck?

Honestly, payload is where you need to look. My guess, you will be close to 7000#, and closer to 950# tongue weight. Add wdh hitch, people, camping stuff in truck and you can easily see how it adds up. Some lower trim 1500s might meet your needs better. Because you won't go far or often, it would be fine to take your truck to it's limits, just keep it slower on the hwy. My F150 decent optioned with a maxtow package would do your trailer. It would be at it's upper end, but in-state running around, I'd have no problem. the payload or carry capacity is often printed on a yellow sticker in drivers door. Don't let salespeople fool ya with towing numbers, they are only part of the equation, non of us pull 4 wheel wagons without tongue weight.

When we had a TT ours was a dry weight of 5800# and my GMC 1500 with a towing capacity of 9100# using a weight distribution hitch towed it quite well. I would suggest a weight distribution hitch when towing a camper the size of yours. I would have preferred a 2500 but for the 6 or so trips a year we used it the extra cost of owning a 2500 did not make much sense. Are you looking new or used? If new I would let the salesman know your plans to make sure the towing capacity of the new truck covers your camper. If new contact GM with the VIN to check towing capacity.

NEVER use the dry weight of a trailer when calculating the correct tow vehicle, well, unless you plan to camp with an empty trailer.
This online towing calculator will accurately and safely match a trailer and tow vehicle while removing salesman hype from the equation plus owners chest-beating.
I've owned and driven a Silverado k1500 since 2013, and I would not tow that much weight,as I feel it unsafe, stopping and side sway are also significant issues in the whole picture.
Trailer length and tow vehicle wheelbase are also important.

Last edited:
When we had a TT ours was a dry weight of 5800# and my GMC 1500 with a towing capacity of 9100# using a weight distribution hitch towed it quite well. I would suggest a weight distribution hitch when towing a camper the size of yours. I would have preferred a 2500 but for the 6 or so trips a year we used it the extra cost of owning a 2500 did not make much sense. Are you looking new or used? If new I would let the salesman know your plans to make sure the towing capacity of the new truck covers your camper. If new contact GM with the VIN to check towing capacity.
I am planning on a used truck. The insurance check is a little under 40K. Ive seen quite a few 2021 models available for less than that. Also, I do have a weight distribution hitch already.

I am planning on a used truck. The insurance check is a little under 40K. Ive seen quite a few 2021 models available for less than that. Also, I do have a weight distribution hitch already.
I wouldn’t base my decision on towing a TT once a year. Buy what will work best for you the other 49 weeks and figure out something for the three weeks.

I wouldn’t base my decision on towing a TT once a year. Buy what will work best for you the other 49 weeks and figure out something for the three weeks.
Good point. With the cost savings on a half ton over a 3/4 ton you could rent or hire someone to tow it to and fro the one time.

That's what I'm thinking. A Chevy 1500 with max tow package can tow 11,200 lb, I think that could work.

I have been towing with Chevy 1500 vans for 40 years, currently one with a 5.7L. It tows my dry weight 3100 lbs. quite well, but with a 6250 dry weight and probably 7500 gross by the time you load it, and with that hitch weight, you had better put a couple of extra leaves in the springs in the rear (which I did with a 1977 Chevy van). Even then, I personally would not try to pull that much weight with a 1500. Just not enough power. Others may disagree, but that is my two cents. The other option is if you only camp once a year, sell your trailer and rent a motor home for that three weeks. Then you don't have to think about it.

Last edited:
I have been towing with Chevy 1500 vans for 40 years, currently one with a 5.7L. It tows my dry weight 3100 lbs. quite well, but with a 6250 dry weight and probably 7500 gross by the time you load it, and with that hitch weight, you had better put a couple of extra leaves in the springs in the rear (which I did with a 1977 Chevy van). Even then, I personally would not try to pull that much weight with a 1500. Just not enough power. Others may disagree, but that is my two cents. The other option is if you only camp once a year, sell your trailer and rent a motor home for that three weeks. Then you don't have to think about it.
The newer half ton trucks can tow heavier loads than older 1500 (150) trucks and vans. The issue will be how much payload the truck can carry. In general, a newer 1/2 ton should be able to tow about 7,500 lb. travel trailer depending on how much the truck's payload is used up with driver, passengers, tool boxes, etc. At 12% tongue weight of 900 lbs. and weight distribution of 80 lbs. for a total of 980 lbs. on the hitch.

Also, the newer 1500 (150) engines have a lot of horse power.

Last edited:
The newer half ton trucks can tow heavier loads than older 1500 (150) trucks and vans. The issue will be how much payload the truck can carry. In general, a newer 1/2 ton should be able to tow about 7,500 lb. travel trailer depending on how much the truck's payload is used up with driver, passengers, tool boxes, etc. At 12% tongue weight of 900 lbs. and weight distribution of 80 lbs. for a total of 980 lbs. on the hitch.

Also, the newer 1500 (150) engines have a lot of horse power.
That's a lot of tongue weight for a half ton vehicle.

I think folks are overlooking the cost of the tow vehicle given he is only using it once a year for its intended purpose.
Are you actually going to utilize a truck the rest of the year for what a truck is designed to be used for or are you simply going to use it for transportation?

I paid $30k for my 2019 Ram in 2021. With your travel profile ( a few weeks a year "shorter" distances) I would have no issue towing your planned tow with a number of 1/2 tons including mine which is rated for 8600#.with a 1700# payload.

I'd rethink it if I was a road warrior or lived near the rockies.

Pay attention to the specs including payload.

1707919670692.png

I'm not going to make any comments about WHICH truck you are wanting to get, or even it's size. But, here is a statement I coined many years ago. Think about this .... carefully ... and then make your choice:

“You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your tow vehicle, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."

Well seeing how the OP said he is not carrying kids and as much gear as he used to maybe payload might not be an issue. I think one of the heaviest things might be firewood for a 3 week trip if he hauls that from home.

As long as it's the right configuration for that half-ton, I think you will be OK. You want to be cautious of both the tow rating and payload, which must be measured vs the trailer GVWR and the combined cargo items (tongue weight, passengers & hitch). My guess is that you will be marginally within limits on payload and ok on tow rating, but individual half ton trucks can and will vary widely. Make your decision based on the rating plate info for the specific truck you are considering, not what tv commercials or brochures proclaim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom