Will a Chevy 1500 do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you will be ok. I tow a 30 foot jayco bunk house ( 7500 GVWR ) with a 2016 F150 mega cab with 1700lb of pay load and have about the same numbers , you will be Close to the 950 lb tongue weight. DEFINITELY get a good hitch and keep it slow to 65mph love my truck but would realy like to slim down on my trailer now that our kids are almost gone would make it so much more enjoyable towing but it can be sfly done with out having to sacrifice the ride.
no last thing is I upgraded my tires on the truck to LT tires front passenger tires. Stiffer side walls. Made a big difference in stability.

I tow my TT knowing that its fully loaded weight if 6,600 lbs based on the last time I got it weighed. I handles very well behind my Chevy silverado 1500 with a tow package and weight distribution hitch. As far as trips to New England go, the level roads along the coast are a dream to tow on. Traffic is another issue... The hills in Maine made the drive "interesting" but doable. Just be careful about how much cargo you carry and try to balance the load, to minimize tongue weight.

Just my $.02

Safe travels and all the best

Last edited:
Just be careful about how much cargo you carry and try to balance the load, to minimize tongue weight.
Not really a good recommendation, as trailers need tongue weight for stability, and generally 10% is considered the minimum and 13% to 15% is consider much better. So you really don't want to "minimize it". If the tow vehicle cannot handle the weight, you need something that will.

Charles

Absolutely right about the tongue weight, Charles. Should have stated that better.. Early on, I had the experience of putting too much weight forward in the trailer and in the truck bed and ended up porpoising more than I wanted to.. :oops:
That was not a fun drive. Moved some of the weight out of the truck bed into the trailer and things smoothed out nicely.

Safe travels and all the best.

The towing calculator link in my reply #4 is inactive now, and I cannot edit the reply.
This is a valid link to a different TT towing calculator: Towing Capacity Calculator
The ideal towing capacity is 80% of the maximum for truck longevity and reducing mechanical breakdowns.

Absolutely right about the tongue weight, Charles. Should have stated that better.. Early on, I had the experience of putting too much weight forward in the trailer and in the truck bed and ended up porpoising more than I wanted to.. :oops:
That was not a fun drive. Moved some of the weight out of the truck bed into the trailer and things smoothed out nicely.

If neither the truck GVWR nor the TT GVWR was exceeded, that was the result of not enough truck to handle the load

Not sure what I've done differently, except to cut down on unnecessary weight and redistribute it. Ever since I've had no problems. guess I did something right.:unsure:
When carrying our 100 lb Onan 4,500 watt generator in our front mounted hitch carrier, things really smooth out. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom