Will I regret buying a Salem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonLisa

About to buy our first 5th Wheel Toy Hauler and after searching thousands of Internet listings and photos we *think* the Forest River Salem has the best floorplan/ features for our money.  (Trying to buy new for under $26K). 

Of course our local dealer (who wants us to buy one of their brands, but has nothing we like) tells me Salems are junk. 

How much of that is truth versus salesmanship??  Thanks!

Junk is pretty harsh, but  they are what is politely called "entry level", which means they are designed for a low price rather than high quality. Used with reasonable care for weekends and vacations, the Salem should be fine. But if you were expecting flooring and fabrics that last forever, sturdy cabinets and solid brass plumbing and fixtures, you aren't going to get that in this price range.

Does the dealer have something else in your price range or is he trying to "upsell" to a more expensive unit?

That's what I was afraid of-- hopefully, though, with meticulous care and my unparalleled "do-it-myself" skills, I can keep her in decent shape for a while! 
Thanks for the reply. 

Well, we saw the Salem firsthand today and did see several details that seemed to be on the cheap.  That doesn't bother me as much, however, as what I found on the roof:  lots of bubbled up areas.  All around the edge of the roof and a couple of rows of oblong-shaped 5-inch ones across the width. 

The salesman assured me it's no big deal and is normal in the Texas heat.  (Said they'd even disappear in cooler temps??)  But, as I was standing up there and looking around the lot, the Salems were the only ones with such bubbles. 

Thoughts, anyone? 

I wouldn't touch it.  Bubbles are NOT normal, even on a Salem. Bubbles are a defect in the installation of the rubber roof material - just plain shoddy work. Heat has nothing to do with it - the material is not properly glued down and will continue to be a problem as long as you own it.

JasonLisa said:
The salesman assured me it's no big deal and is normal in the Texas heat.  (Said they'd even disappear in cooler temps??)   But, as I was standing up there and looking around the lot, the Salems were the only ones with such bubbles.   

Find another salesman.  And maybe another brand, too.  Just my 2?.......

Perhaps this is why Salem is the only brand I've looked at which doesn't include a ladder!  The Out of sight, out of mind theory of trailer building... 

I've not heard this complaint about Salems before. Do you say that multiple Salem models at this dealer had the same problem?  Frankly I'm a bit shocked, but I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  You don't need to start out with roof problems.

The Keystone Springdale is in a similar price class - take a look at one of those.

http://keystone-springdale.com/

JasonLisa said:
Perhaps this is why Salem is the only brand I've looked at which doesn't include a ladder!   The Out of sight, out of mind theory of trailer building... 

Wise beyond your years!

I.ve owned several Forest River products from entry level on up.I have had problems with every one.Most problems were simply shotty workmanship and cheap materials.My numerous inquires and calls to Forest River fell on deaf ears and I never got a response.This is the only recourse I,ve had and will never ever purchase another Forest River product!!!

When we visit our daughter's place, we stay in their trailer (now fifthwheel). I've previously reported that every time we stayed in their prior Forest River TT I was quite impressed with the materials and workmanship.

Forest River makes a huge number of models, in all the price ranges. The upper scale ones are much better built than the cheap ones (surprising, eh?). It is helpful to identify the model if one is reported as particularly good or bad.

Don't recall the model, but here's a photo.

Attachments

• DSCN1492 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1492 (Medium).JPG
    71 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom