will my tundra tow a rockwood ultra light with murphy bed or jay feather 20m?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barb.....can you give us a few more specifics?  Look for Gross Weight for each trailer....there will be a placard on the left front stating the weight of the trailer.  Also need to know the drivetrain configuration in your Tundra (engine size, transmission, rear gear). 

sure, I can try. According to my owner manual for the truck, for my two wheel drive access cab (herein lies the problem, i am not sure which engine it is) for the 5VZ FE engine you cannot exceed 5000 gross trailer weight. For 2UZ-FE engine with tow package the weight adjusts to 7300. I currently have a hydrolic wheelchair lift on the trailer hitch right now. The rockwood lists a dry weight of 4798 with CCC of 1808. jay feather is about the same. I worry that anything over 4200 fully loaded (got this number somewhere in the forum) is going to be too heavy.

OK, looks like you're overweight if you have the lesser engine, and marginal with the better one.  If you call a Toyota dealer with your VIN, they will be able to tell you which drivetrain setup you have.

Now...let's complicate it a bit more, shall we?  Will you be towing in mostly flat lands, or will you be towing in the Mountain West? 

Dry weights are essentially meaningless....they often don't even include things like the A/C unit on the trailer, propane bottles, etc.  Gross weights can be deceiving too, as some trailers have carrying capacity you'll never use.  That said, Gross weight is the safest number to go by.  Remember that the truck's tow rating has to be reduced by any additional passengers beyond one 154 lbs driver, any cargo or luggage, and even the weight of the hitch assembly.  You also need to discount 10-20% off the tow rating if you tow out here in the high country. 

Give the dealer a ring and see which drivetrain you have first, and then decide from there. 

great! thanks for your input. I live in the pacific northwest, so always have to factor in the mountains. I think I will stick to a choice between the Winnebago Minnie 2101 DS and the Lance 1985. Both have much lower gross weights and very similar floor plans.

update and thanks for the advice to call the dealer. My towing capacity is 7300 lbs so now i have a better idea what i can tow and what is too heavy.

Back
Top Bottom