Window Awning Unfurled on the Road!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrschwarz

This is a new topic to an old problem. I have two (soon to be three) A&E window awnings on the driver side. One is about 7 feet long with short arms. The other is about 4 feet with long arms. I was driving to west Texas (from the Dallas area). The wind was gusting from the south up to 50-60 mph and I was traveling west at around 65 mph. The longer awning had no issues. Whenever the wind would gust, the one with the long arms would pop out a little and slam back into the coach. Once a little awning material unraveled and hanging out, the problem would get worse. I couldn't slow down enough to stop it from happening (and get to where I was going).

I pulled over a couple of times to straighten it out and furl it(by hanging out the window on the side of the road). After furling the awning up, it would happen again a few minutes later. Like in the previous discussions here, I couldn't figure out a way to tie it to to keep it from happening again. Finally, I broke down and drilled a small hole in the aluminum awning cover and ran a cable tie around the roller.

Nothing's broken that I can see and the tension on the awning is the same as it was when I installed it. It's less than a year old and I will be calling the manufacturer for some advice. I now have a hole in the awning cover, but at least it didn't get ripped off the side! With their design, it's not even possible to remove the awning without drilling out at least two rivets. Another loser of cost versus good engineering, I guess.

Does anyone have any mods they performed that allow them to use the awning and keep it secured when they travel?

i don't think that will fit a window awning. I'll try to improvise something similar.

+100 on the zip ties....... used them on the TT for years and now have 'em on the MH. Sure you have to use a new one everytime you unroll, but pretty cheap insurance in my opinion.
BB

I have this one on our 18' awning, I feel much more comfortable with it.

mrschwarz said:
I took a look, but it appears to be for the main awning. My problem is with the smaller window awning.

Question to the Zip Tie folks, I'm assuming you use a ladder to get up there to apply the zip ties?  I was wondering why all those ladders were attached to motor home roof ladders.  Now I know, it's to get the zip ties off!  I'm not making fun of anyone here, please dont take offense I'm attempting humor (possibly poorly?)

I seriously would love a solution to this worry (it isn't a problem for me yet but a concern.)  I'm assuming the zip ties go near the top of the awning.  If placement doesnt matter maybe just put it as high as you can reach, then it would be an excellent solution even for a shorty like me!

Jeff

No it's not for the main awning.  I have the same window toppers that you are talking about.  I contacted the owner of the company and we discussed it and I sent pictures of my awning in question and he told me what model to get.  These are shade, window awnings that I had installed by Camping World over my side windows.  One is a long in length awning but short in width (that's the trouble one)  the other is long in width but short in length and it hasn't caused us any grief at all.  By length I mean the length north to south.

ruthandken CDN said:
No it's not for the main awning.  I have the same window toppers that you are talking about.  I contacted the owner of the company and we discussed it and I sent pictures of my awning in question and he told me what model to get.  These are shade, window awnings that I had installed by Camping World over my side windows.  One is a long in length awning but short in width (that's the trouble one)  the other is long in width but short in length and it hasn't caused us any grief at all.  By length I mean the length north to south.

This is exactly the same situation I am in. The wide one is fine. The tall one, not so much. I will be calling the guy! Does it come in black?

jeffbrown said:
Question to the Zip Tie folks, I'm assuming you use a ladder to get up there to apply the zip ties?  I was wondering why all those ladders were attached to motor home roof ladders.  Now I know, it's to get the zip ties off!  I'm not making fun of anyone here, please dont take offense I'm attempting humor (possibly poorly?)

I seriously would love a solution to this worry (it isn't a problem for me yet but a concern.)  I'm assuming the zip ties go near the top of the awning.  If placement doesnt matter maybe just put it as high as you can reach, then it would be an excellent solution even for a shorty like me!

Jeff

To use a zip tie, I had to drill a hole in the weathershield of the shade. I removed the screen from the window and did it leaning out. I don't think I'll be wanting to do that every time I travel! :-\

Zip Dee has a locking hook that is attached to the weather shield, and a receptacle that attaches to the coach. All of my awnings have them, and they are quite secure. They are latched and unlatched using your awning wand. check for them at, www.zipdee.net .

The cable ties are off and I now have a spanking new awning clamp to keep the awning furled.

Attachments

• DSCN0538-medium.JPG
    DSCN0538-medium.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0539-medium.JPG
    DSCN0539-medium.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0541-medium.JPG
    DSCN0541-medium.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0542-medium.JPG
    DSCN0542-medium.JPG