Windows 10 Reservation made.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Downloaded win 10 last week.  I am already dumping it!  On my laptop the display is horribly blurry.  Almost makes me sick!  Tried to revert back which took about two hours to do.  Now the darn computer wants to install the junk again.  Im in the process of letting it reload, then i will dump it again.  Hope i can get rid of it this time.

Blurry displays usually mean that the screen isn't set for the native resolution.  The other cause can be a bad video driver, but even the default Windows drivers will handle all the common display modes.  Right click on the Desktop, select Display Settings, then Advanced Display Settings and make sure the resolution is set to the native resolution of the display screen.  It will probably be listed with (Recommended) after the resolution in the list.

An it's worth a try...
Found that their had been several failed installs (80240020) and research found this method to force a download.
1. Browse to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete the contents of the folder.
I will update with results.
Bob
2. Press Windows key + X > Click Command Prompt (Admin) then type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".

Hit Enter

3. Open Control Panel > Windows Update and Windows 10 should begin downloading..

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Paul & Ann said:
I got the same offer a few days ago, as did many others who have posted on other RV forums.  It sounds good.  The only problem I have, as well as others, is that you dont get to pick the time when the 3 gig download starts.  You only get to pick when you install it.  For many who use cell phone hotspots and similar devices, 3 gig can put a serious hurt on their data usage for the month.

Paul
wow, 3 gig of my 15? Thats terrible, but I just reserved it too, I have always hated 8 :mad:

Downloaded mine from a local WiFi location with the media creation tool; then brought it home and finished installing it, brought it back and used the WiFi again to do touchups. Now I come back and get my downloads from WiFi also! SAVES THAT DATA USAGE FROM THE HOTSPOT AT HOME.

REf:  "Failure" entries.
I had several before it finally loaded.
My other computers also show failures.

It is my understanding that this is normal until there is enough data in the W10
update file, for it to configure with the needed drivers etc. for that machine.

We are just quietly waiting for the others to update.
I like it on the laptop that updated several weeks ago.

If anyone is interested but not found it yet, Windows 10 ships with IE 11 available, just no default links to it.  Do a search for IE or Internet Explorer from Cortana or the Start menu and you should see it.  However, MS is trying to steer away from IE so it may not be supported well and may go away eventually.

Well the W10 install is working without too many issues. HOWEVER, I am still not crazy with the start menu.  Is there a way to install/change to a W-7 type start menu?  The flipping pics and apps that I have no interest in do not serve any purpose, other than to delay me from what I am looking for. 

Is there a way to change that?

You can delete the tiles from the start menu.  I rarely use it anyway, and rarely did in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.  Much prefer Windows key and type a few characters of the program name to find what I'm looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom