Windshield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Deano2002 said:
I don't have comprehensive on this old thing so, that's not the case here :-\. Would any of you attempt an install yourself? I am a decent back yard mechanic and do pay attention to detail, if that would help

You might check out this video to get an idea of what's involved. I put this together for the folks that did my Ventana, and while it's a single piece windshield for a class A, there's a lot of similarities to what other big rigs need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkhEJbyl1Ew&feature=youtu.be

Once you get it out have whoever is doing the job to inspect the windshield opening to make sure there is no rust of even cancer started. I?m not sure which manufacturer it is but they have a big problem with rust. Now would be the time to fix it.

If it's any help to someone down the road, when I insured my '93 Southwind I found it cost about $100 annually to add comprehensive with a $500 deductible. Zero reason not to spend that money - I was shocked it was such a small number. The AAA guy indicated there are statistically few claims for RV so the numbers are small. Even - or maybe especially - if you have an old motorhome, price out that comprehensive coverage.

Rene T said:
Once you get it out have whoever is doing the job to inspect the windshield opening to make sure there is no rust of even cancer started. I?m not sure which manufacturer it is but they have a big problem with rust. Now would be the time to fix it.
When my windshield was replaced there was a lot of rust. The repair tech said Winnebagos are known for having a lot of rust.

Dragginourbedaround said:
When my windshield was replaced there was a lot of rust. The repair tech said Winnebagos are known for having a lot of rust.
That's because Winnebaggo is the only(?) manufacturer that builds a steel cage around the driver and passenger, and the windshield is set into the steel. Other manufacturers use just the fiberglass front cap and the windshield is set into fiberglass.

Interesting discussion.

1. Buy comprehensive insurance. Get a quote from Geico. If you hit a deer it could cost you thousands. If you hit a big animal like an Elk or Moose your vehicle could be totaled.

2. Have Safelite look at it. They replaced my car glass in the parking lot where I worked. They also do repairs. www.safelite.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom