Winegard Road Star 1500 antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PHS79

We have the Winegard RS 1500 on our Grey Wolf, the problem is that we can't get very many stations in. Our friends may be able to get 6-7 stations and we are only able to get 2,3 maybe 4 channels of those only about 1/2 will actually stay on without freezing up and cutting out. This is with the booster turned on.

Are there any upgrades, like another booster or something, available for the Winegard 1500? Or is there direct, bolt on, replacement for the 1500 available? If neither of those what would be our best route to go?

Thanks!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would bet that your friends do not have a similar antenna and likely one of the Winegard Sensar (Batwing) antennas.  If so, there is no upgrade that will allow the RoadStar to work as well as the Batwing.  Where are you physically located (or does this occur at multiple locations) and we can see what www.tvfool.com thinks about what channels you should be receiving.

Hi Bill, yes most of our friends/family have the crank-up "Batwing" style antennas.  But my cousin (who we camp with often) has an antenna similar to ours, it is has a different shape than ours but it is non moveable like our 1500, and he is able to get more stations than us even when parked right next to us.  This happens at virtually all the campgrounds that we go to, and most of them are more than 30 miles from the closest TV station.

I was hoping that there is an easy way to get more stations, either a booster or a direct replacement antenna that would use the same base as our WineGard 1500.  But today I did call Winegard directly, they said that there is no booster or direct replacement available. But of course that was the manufacturer, so I am still hoping that there is another company what makes something that will help.

No, there is no such thing.  30 miles is a long distance to ask of any antenna that does not have the capabilities of the Winegard Batwing.  The 1500 is right at it's max limits at 30 miles whereas a Batwing might be able to pull in a signal from 50 or 60 miles.
Winegard does make the Sensar Pro which is a replacement for your existing power supply (the wall plate with the on/off switch) and this unit does contain a secondary amplifier.  However, this will only bring the weak signals in more solid but likely not get you any undiscovered channels.

Bill.Winegard said:
No, there is no such thing.  30 miles is a long distance to ask of any antenna that does not have the capabilities of the Winegard Batwing.  The 1500 is right at it's max limits at 30 miles whereas a Batwing might be able to pull in a signal from 50 or 60 miles.
Winegard does make the Sensar Pro which is a replacement for your existing power supply (the wall plate with the on/off switch) and this unit does contain a secondary amplifier.  However, this will only bring the weak signals in more solid but likely not get you any undiscovered channels.
So this Sensar Pro will atleast help with the signal of the channels that come in for 2 minutes, but then freeze up and drop?  Do you know how much this thing is?  If I remember right, the radio pulls its signal through the 1500 also, correct?  The Sensar Pro won't interfere with the radio will it?

OK, thanks for the help Bill.  I will probably end up buying one and see if that atleast helps with some of the problem.  Thanks again!!

Winegard has a new RS-3000 Omni-Directional Digital Antenna which you might want to check out.  The RV we have now was originally a rental when Winnebago built it in 2006 and has a RS-2000 on it.  I am like you wanting to replace it with one that works better.  If I don't go with the RS-3000 I may just leave it as is or go with the Jack antenna and drill some new holes in the roof.  The RS-3000 does come with a new amplifier.  Regards, Dick

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom