Winegard video entertainment select

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

navy flier

I have a 08 Horizon 40TD that has the mechanical Winegard Entertainment Select unit. Has anyone changed this for an electronic unit. If so, what did you use and can it control video select from cable, antenna, DVD and satelitte to 2 or 3 TVs?

Hmm - I just hear crickets.

Maybe find out what Winnie is putting in their new coaches.  I know they are using an HDMI switch but I don't know what brand.

Thanks John. I plan on doing that. I thought that someone out there might have already done the pick and shovel work on what else might work.

This is what the catalogs show as equipment used:  HDMI 4x4 Matrix central video selection system.

Through a google search, I found these two listings which look like what I have seen in the newer Winnebagos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-4x4-Matrix-Switch-Splitter-cat5e-cat6-UTP-3D-/261133323788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cccc24e0c

http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Matrix-Switch-Splitter-Remote/dp/B005OZOHX2

Clayton

We have the HDMI Matrix like Clayton showed from eBay.  It works great.  The TVs are fed via Cat 5 or 6 cable and have full HD via HDMI to the TV.  Works great.  We have 4 TVs and 3 video sources.  Any TV can watch any of the sources.

Wish Thor had been smart enough to do that with the Tuscany the year before they built yours....mine has a three way, not HDMI, and the bedroom TV is hooked to the roof antenna. Whoever designed mine needs to be shot.

I will end up doing mine over to recover from the goofy engineering. But on the upside, I sure do like my coach!  8)

I replaced the mechanical switch with a HDMI matrix (4x2) earlier this year as I only had 2 TV's.  The biggest issue I had was running all of the new HDMI cable through the coach.  The brand I used was Kanaan from Amazon, mainly due to the price.

John

Tomorrow I'm installing a Winegard SK-3005 (HD) on the roof and a Direct TV Genie receiver (just one) with a very small D-TV client which will be hidden behind each TV. No other receivers or DVR's are needed. Also putting in a carryout satellite dish and connecting the OTA to the system. So, if all goes well, all three TV's will be able to access, individually, any channel (from either satellite dish or OTA) or from Genie with, I think, one A/B switch between dishes. All switching (or selecting) will still be through the TV's. D-TV's Genie acts as a receiver, tuner (5 tuners) and, in effect with a SWM-8, a multiswitch (if this still makes sense). Genie also gives you a terabyte of storage, PIP, splitscreen PIP, and records what it thinks you may want in the future on its own space an "offers" it to you. More to come, especially if it works!

Quillback 424 said:
Tomorrow I'm installing a Winegard SK-3005 (HD) on the roof and a Direct TV Genie receiver (just one) with a very small D-TV client which will be hidden behind each TV. No other receivers or DVR's are needed. Also putting in a carryout satellite dish and connecting the OTA to the system. So, if all goes well, all three TV's will be able to access, individually, any channel (from either satellite dish or OTA) or from Genie with, I think, one A/B switch between dishes. All switching (or selecting) will still be through the TV's. D-TV's Genie acts as a receiver, tuner (5 tuners) and, in effect with a SWM-8, a multiswitch (if this still makes sense). Genie also gives you a terabyte of storage, PIP, splitscreen PIP, and records what it thinks you may want in the future on its own space an "offers" it to you. More to come, especially if it works!
I truly look forward to hearing how this works. I just installed the SK3005 old school with two coax drops per DVR.  The understanding I had was the SK3005 supported one tuner per output.

Bob, I believe that is the way Winegard shows it but Direct TV's Genie is a five tuner receiver and connects to the TV through Cat 5 or 6 and their C-31 client which is about the size of a small paperback. Genie is the only receiver or DVR that is needed since it's a terabyte. Seems like it's a system with a lot less bulk and cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom