Winnebago 2010 Models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, the 42 tag has almost 29 cu ft less bay capacity than the next lower model.

And holding tank capacities are all over the map... 

Holding Tank Capacity - Black/Gray (gal.)  (first 3 are the 40 foot models, last is the 42 foot.)
57/94
54/115
70/54
52/113

Lots of trade-offs.

Seems all the info on Winnys tag axle has made its way to the forum. As Harry B states, the air can be dumped on the tag, taking the weight off. Still the less than good news as stated above is no IFS or side radiator. I agree the lack of those two items will indeed keep it off many folks short list. My feeling is they really did'nt do much to enhance their diesel lineup.

Winnebago has been trying to lower their production costs for some time.  Our simply wonderful pull-out galley island that is/was so popular got the axe because they thought it was too expensive to produce.  Doubtless the new models will appeal to a broad section of customers (I certainly hope so at least - I want them to remain healthy.) 

Like Harry said, a side radiator is a firm requirement of mine, and I prefer IFS, so if we ever coach shop again, it wouldn't be for a newer Winnie model.  It's a shame because I think they produce a fine product.

Becks said:
Seems all the info on Winnys tag axle has made its way to the forum. As Harry B states, the air can be dumped on the tag, taking the weight off. Still the less than good news as stated above is no IFS or side radiator. I agree the lack of those two items will indeed keep it off many folks short list. My feeling is they really did'nt do much to enhance their diesel lineup.
One thing I like is the radio controls on the bottom of the steering wheel  instead of the add-on control.

I don't know if anyone mentioned that the 40' has a wheelbase of 276 (if the brochure for the tour is correct) and the 42' has 279. While talking to a couple of Cummins-Onan guys, I was told the generator door was hinged at the bottom and swung down from the top, no two piece opening, no slide. Straight axle, no slide generator, no side radiator, 400 hp, no pushbutton entry and higher prices I just appreciate my 08 Vectra TD more. The 40' tour is $300,000 and the 42 Ellipse is $330,000. The 40' is 40' 7" in length and 42' is 42' 10". Fuel tank is 150 gal. for the 42'. Trailer hitch on the 42' is 15000 lb. drawbar and vertical tongue weight 1500 lb (42 AD). 40' is still 10,000 and 500 lb.There are 3 new coffee glazed wood stains which look pretty good. The Sunsplash yellow body paint I'm not sure I want to see. The bed folds to get the 2 opposing slides in. I would like to see the 42' with the slides in, I guess I could go on a test drive to see that. Some observations.

mrschwarz said:
Why the preference for a side radiator?

Servicing the engine is less expensive because a radiator isn't in the way  :D. A rear radiator, being in the vacuum or air vortex at the rear of the 'box' that moves down the road, sucks up a bunch more dust, grime, etc, and it needs periodic cleaning, usually done professionally.  I spray Simple Green on mine every month or so while we are on the road and rinse off with a hose.

My radiator fan is hydraulically driven and only runs as fast as necessary to keep the engine temp appropriate.

Side radiators are usually a feature of high-end coaches.

I really like the new Journey "Express" 39N floorplan.  This is the first DP I have seen in a more family friendly layout.  Wish it had been around last year when we bought our 35J...I may have been able to make that justification to step up to a DP(maybe).  Anyone want a sparkling new '09 Sightseer?...

kidding... ;)

sort of... ;D

Mc2guy said:
I really like the new Journey "Express" 39N floorplan.  This is the first DP I have seen in a more family friendly layout.  Wish it had been around last year when we bought our 35J...I may have been able to make that justification to step up to a DP(maybe).  Anyone want a sparkling new '09 Sightseer?...

kidding... ;)

sort of... ;D

*wink, wink* - let me bug the wife....with 3 kids the 35j would be great for us.  Its just that budget thing she's got going that keeps getting in the way.

I need IFS and a side radiator also. The Freight Liner IFS chassis with the tag is available. It will probably be a $7 to $10 k option as it used to be on the Vectra / Horizon models.
The Fred hybrid is very interesting. 8)
John    eat a couple of Maine lobsters for me.

Mc2guy......Just remember the Journey Express only has the ISB 340 motor with only 660 lbs of torque. Not much of a motor.

My Meridian has the this same motor. Pulls my Honda Plilot with a tandem axled/two ATV laden trailer (Triple) up and down the Rockies at 45mph. All while getting 8mph. Not much of a motor?? If I just pull the Honda, say to MX and back, I get 10 mpg.  ???

Jeff - I split off the HP vs torque discussion and it is now in the Tech board - you might want to make this post over there.  Or you can take your chances and let me graft this post to that new thread (pretty scary thing to me  ::)  :D )

moved.. Delete if you'd like

It's always fun to shovel in new info on this into the frey. Like coal on the fire, and one might learn something when it's over. :)

If I am reading all the posts correctly, the 42' tag axle has a 400 hp Cummins ?
The horsepower and torque post is quite pertinent. A much heavier MH with the same hp/torque as the old models. That's something to think about.
We camp out at Valley of Fire quite often and the basement air is more than enough. Of course, I'm only talking 110-114 degrees here. LOL but true.
I love our 08 Tour WD, but don't like the way Winnebago is headed, if these posts are true. No IFS ?? except as possible option, unbelieveable.

Kerry

Yes - the 42' tag has the Cummins ISL - the ISL with a 42' coach should be okay - it won't have the same power to weight ratio as a 40' model, but it should still have very adequate performance.  Going to the Cummins ISM or ISX engine is a humongous leap forward in capability and cost.  One reason is the Allison 3000 tranny is maxed out at 1200 ft pounds of torque so the chassis builder needs to move up to the Allison 4000 model.

As far as I know, no recent Monaco product ever had IFS (including their high end models), so I suppose I could live without it (with no other good choice available.)  I would not want to live without my side radiator though.

Yeah - I'm kind of disappointed that Winnie has chosen to back away from side radiator (a year or two ago) and now IFS.  They are redefining their product line on the high end (as they did when they dropped the Ultimate Advantage and Freedom.)

John

When we were on our factory tour a month ago, they were only building a couple of DPs a week. The extra engineering and inventory for the IFS and side radiator may not be practical right now.

Back
Top Bottom